Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 2:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I got judoed

So i am in Japan working for a few months. I found a great school to train BJJ here, and for the first time i am the "big guy" in class even though I'm only 6 feet tall 175 lbs. I've been training for almost two years but haven't done much standup so i was excited when the other day we had a class on takedowns followed by standing sparring. So i get paired up with this little guy. I'm talking maybe 5'4" and 145lbs at most. I'm thinking to myself, "I'll take it easy on this little guy. I"ll take him down gently so he doesn't get hurt." What i didn't know was that alot of these guys over here already have trained Judo since they were kids....So we square off and each get a collar and elbow grip like I've seen watching Judo videos on youtube which has been the vast majority of my judo education, which is almost none.....Now I saw it coming but i just couldn't believe it while it was happening. As i recall he spun his back towards me and went to his knees. At this point everything turned to super slow motion. He pushed up on my collar with his right hand and pulled with his left. I witnessed myself flying over him. I quickly realized that my hands were trapped so i couldn't even soften the impact. Long story short, this little Japanese guy slammed me on my face HARD. So lesson learned. Never underestimate anyone, and i going to learn all the Judo i can from these guys while im here.
    Last edited by jfingaz123; 7/11/2010 2:10pm at .

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 2:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jfingaz123 View Post
    So i am in Japan working for a few months. I found a great school to train BJJ here, and for the first time i am the "big guy" in class even though I'm only 6 feet tall 175 lbs. I've been training for almost two years but haven't done much standup so i was excited when the other day we had a class on takedowns followed by standing sparring. So i get paired up with this little guy. I'm talking maybe 5'4" and 145lbs at most. I'm thinking to myself, "I'll take it easy on this little guy. I"ll take him down gently so he doesn't get hurt." What i didn't know was that alot of these guys over here already have trained Judo since they were kids....So we square off and each get a collar and elbow grip like I've seen watching Judo videos on youtube which has been the vast majority of my judo education, which is almost none.....Now I saw it coming but i just couldn't believe it while it was happening. As i recall he spun his back towards me and went to his knees. At this point everything turned to super slow motion. He pushed up on my collar with his right hand and pulled with his left. I witnessed myself flying over him. I quickly realized that my hands were trapped so i couldn't even soften the impact. Long story short, this little Japanese guy slammed me on my face HARD. So lesson learned. Never underestimate anyone, and i going to learn all the Judo i can from these guys while im here.
    thank you so much for this post!!! I have a unique problem: In my class I use this type of throw a lot... its a Ju Jutsu throw also and part of the Booj techniqes that I like (Kukishin stuff)... some differnces in specifics, same principles that make it juice!!

Ok so... I will throw the guys around with it and I am 240 odd pounds or so. naturally as my guys are not the "Yes sensei!" type I hear "well you are just big and have so much weight to throw around."

Now.... please understand the lengths I get people to see that with proper technique the throw (and quite a few other) techniques feel effortless. I can tell you from at least my experience that if that guy had to strain during any part of that throw you would have felt the effort, tactiley adjusted to it and it would not have had that sensation you so aptly describe as "before I knew it I had the gift of flight......" I often describe this as "tripping" no!! not like in the Haight Ashbury... but the sensation is like when you just tripped over something, feel yourself completing the idiocy and cannot do a damn thing to stop it... your mind telling you "how will you explain this once you hit the ground!"

The thing is as you experienced and something I cannot get across is that you do not need to have a lot of weight to use it effectively. What I tend to emphasize with this throw is not to use a lot of pushing and pulling with the arms, but to do the entire thing from the footwork... until his balance is taken and then just a little push pull.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 4:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First time I ever got judoed was about twenty years ago. I had been roped in to doing a "medieval wrestling" demo at a Renaissance Faire-type community festival and had worked up a choreographed routine with one of my training partners. Then I issued a light-hearted general challenge to the crowd; first fall to win.

A couple of young guys volunteered and I took them down pretty easily, then a small man who must have been in his 60s said "I'll have a go, son". I was honestly worried about hurting him accidentally and asked if he was sure about this. He said yes. Can you tell where this is going?

I knew I was in trouble as soon as we clinched and the "match" lasted about six seconds. I have no idea what he threw me with. As he helped me up he assured me that I'd been a good sport. Got talking with his wife later and she told me he was a 5th dan, former national judo champion ...

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 6:57pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lucky bastard.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 10:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jiu/ju/kettlebells/cma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    The thing is as you experienced and something I cannot get across is that you do not need to have a lot of weight to use it effectively...l.
    Maybe this will help? The throw you're desribing sounds to me like either ippon or morote seoinage in judo terms. This is typically regarded as a better throw for a shorter person against a taller person than the other way around, and there are tons of competition judo clips you can find on youtube of the shorter person succeeding with it against the taller person. Perhaps that might be a starting point to get your point across to your students...but really, every throw when done right (big 'if' there) should feel pretty effortless, up to a fairly large size differential. See my thread from a few weeks ago about getting tossed around like a rag doll by my judo sensei, who's shorter than me, my weight or lighter, and in his mid 70's.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 1:02am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As i recall he spun his back towards me and went to his knees. At this point everything turned to super slow motion. He pushed up on my collar with his right hand and pulled with his left. I witnessed myself flying over him.

Drop morote seoi nage. Ouch for you.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 4:50am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he was punching his lapel up as he dropped, it's the same grip as tsurikomi goshi, although I guess it probably was seoi, since noone does tsurikomi dropping to their knees, as opposed to squatting

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 5:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As i recall he spun his back towards me and went to his knees. At this point everything turned to super slow motion. He pushed up on my collar with his right hand and pulled with his left. I witnessed myself flying over him. I quickly realized that my hands were trapped so i couldn't even soften the impact. Long story short, this little Japanese guy slammed me on my face HARD.
    If he landed on his knees and used that dropping motion to throw you it was Seoi Otoshi. If he dropped and then rose up again to throw you it was Seoi nage.

YouTube- seoi otoshi tai otoshi

In future, tuck your chin in, then you won't land on your face.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 6:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought it was drop seoi nage if you went to both knees, drop seoi otoshi if you only go down to the one knee?
    But a blackbelt at my club told me that the only difference between the two is the hand/arm motion (elbow goes toward there armpit in seoi nage, whereas forearm stays more upright in seoi otoshi).
    I put it out of my mind until this thread came along.

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 6:47am

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First learn ukemi...it helps cut down on the aspirin consumption. :-)
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast