Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 6:41am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A question for all of you Chinese MA guys.

Alright, my primary style is Judo, but during the summer school break, we don't have training sessions. My friend who does Tai Chi Chuan invited me to his school for a little cross training. In your opinion, would Judo and TCC make a good match? In addition to this, the instructor claimss to have a 4th Dan or equivilent rank in Tai Chi. Is there such a ranking system in TCC similar to the belt rank system in Judo?
    Thanks in advance.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 7:09am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's good Taiji, with good push hands, that focuses on practicing Taiji as a clinch wrestling system with dirt boxing, then yes, it will be a great form of cross training for you.

Who is this instructor you're looking at?

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 7:25am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's good stuff you'll learn some really sneaky tricks for off balancing.

If it isn't you'll learn how to wave your arms around.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 7:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was wondering: how many tai chi tecniques are practiced from the horse stance?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 7:42am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why are you wondering?

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 8:05am

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    I was wondering: how many tai chi tecniques are practiced from the horse stance?
    I've never had to do a horse stance in Tai Chi. Can you imagine throwing someone from horse stance?

edit: in fact it goes against everything Tai Chi is about. Body alignment, breaking the balance etc.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 8:12am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the odds are very much against you getting anything useful out of the training, but that doesn't mean that it's not possible. if they do something similar to randori regularly then it will be worthwhile, if not, then probably a waste of time.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 8:16am

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    the odds are very much against you getting anything useful out of the training, but that doesn't mean that it's not possible. if they do something similar to randori regularly then it will be worthwhile, if not, then probably a waste of time.
    Do you not think Push Hands would help with Kazushi(sp?)?

I've always thought any Tai Chi would help Judo guys but maybe i'm thinking of it wrong. Maybe it's just a case of Tai Chi being a long winded, over analysed version of what you learn in Judo.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 8:34am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulain View Post
    Do you not think Push Hands would help with Kazushi(sp?)?

I've always thought any Tai Chi would help Judo guys but maybe i'm thinking of it wrong. Maybe it's just a case of Tai Chi being a long winded, over analysed version of what you learn in Judo.
    that depends *very much* on how they do push hands. we have a thread in this forum about good push hands vs. bad push hands that should be very enlightening. sorry that i can't find the link for you right now, but i am a bit busy.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 9:03am

Style: Traditional Wushu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the cool things that you pick up from TCC is redirection of force. When doing pushing hands, the idea is to get the other guy off balance. A good TCC person will take incoming force aimed just about anywhere and let it slip by/around them.

Good TCC is all about making your skeleton do the work, not the muscles. Its all about body structure, grounding and balance.

Is that going to be 1:1 useful in Judo? I don't know. But it seems to me that there would be several elements of it that would translate pretty well.

However, earlier posters are correct. There are plenty of TCC instructors who don't do pushing hands. You would need to find one that does.

Most people think of old people in the park when they think of TCC. However, it *IS* a combat art. Those slow movements done for health are fighting moves slowed WAY down. There are locks and throws and tons of other fun stuff in there. Most of the places I have found don't teach it that way though.

Another style that might be useful to a Judo player is Baquazhang. It has lots of tight circular movements that generate power through rotation of your body around its axis. My opinion is that it has a higher learning curve than Tai Chi Chuan, though. Part of my training is in Fu style Bagua, but frankly it makes me dizzy :)
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast