Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 9:14am

Style: MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muay Thai Only rules - Not sure where to ask

So are Judo sweeps in any form illegal? I'm talking about minor sweeps that look like Sasae Tsuri Komi Ashi or something, not Gake or reaps.

Are they legal to throw from the clinch? Or do they register as a kick?

It's been bothering me for a while.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 9:44am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe that, first, USKBA sanctioned MT events are a little more anal retentive about what is a legal clinch throw than other MT events.

Also, I know most of these rules as a reporter and due to conversations I've had with my coach, so it's a little second hand. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The rule of thumb is that your foot needs to stay on the ground and legal throws would involve rotating your opponent over your foot, or just tossing him using redirection of the upper body.

You can't reap the leg say, on a kick catch, but you can put your opponent off balance and then strike the leg and it's big on the score cards if he falls. The distinction is sometimes ambiguous.

The USKBA, especially with officials in NY and NJ, are very strict about no picking someone up from a body lock. From what I understand, places off my beat allow some of those throws.

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 11:27am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by iopyud View Post
    So are Judo sweeps in any form illegal? I'm talking about minor sweeps that look like Sasae Tsuri Komi Ashi or something, not Gake or reaps.

Are they legal to throw from the clinch? Or do they register as a kick?

It's been bothering me for a while.
    You should be fine if you vaguely hide them as a kick, you're stretching the rules but are just keeping within them. It depends on the ref too, I've seen some penalise it and some ignore and even score Judo throws, sweeps etc.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 1:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't speak judo, but the rules for muaythai are that you can't do any throws that go over the hip, trip with the back of the leg, or lift the opponent straight off the ground. You are also not allowed to do any sort of takedown where you land on top of your opponent. You are also not allowed to do any kind of foot to foot sweeps.

Takedowns that are allowed include dumps which go over the front of the leg where the "tripping" leg moves directly after the throw, kicking the supporting leg on a caught kick, or tipping (not tripping) as a counter to knee strikes.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 7:46am

Style: MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah thanks guys.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 12:11pm

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is there any kickboxing that allows all sorts of takedowns? that could interesting to watch, like kickboxing-wrestling. it'd essentially be MMA with no groundwork. that could be pretty cool.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 2:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu Swordfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    I don't speak judo, but the rules for muaythai are that you can't do any throws that go over the hip, trip with the back of the leg, or lift the opponent straight off the ground. You are also not allowed to do any sort of takedown where you land on top of your opponent. You are also not allowed to do any kind of foot to foot sweeps.

Takedowns that are allowed include dumps which go over the front of the leg where the "tripping" leg moves directly after the throw, kicking the supporting leg on a caught kick, or tipping (not tripping) as a counter to knee strikes.
    Seriously? I should probably stop doing bodylock pickups, then.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu Swordfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldk View Post
    is there any kickboxing that allows all sorts of takedowns? that could interesting to watch, like kickboxing-wrestling. it'd essentially be MMA with no groundwork. that could be pretty cool.
    I'm surprised there's someone on this board who's never heard of San Da/San Shou:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l71pjVU4II
    Best thing to come out of China since the repeating crossbow.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 3:05pm

Style: Justice/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    I'm surprised there's someone on this board who's never heard of San Da/San Shou
    Best thing to come out of China since the repeating crossbow.
    I was wondering if I was going to be the first to bring up sanda/san shou. And also repeating crossbow? Not gunna go with the stirrup or even gunpowder? Chicken fried rice for god sake!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 7:46pm

Style: Muay Thai, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was training in in Thailand, I saw throws from a low grip around the hips which often lead to one opponent landing on another. It was shown to me in clinch training as an intentional throw in which the thrower was essentially walking over the top of or rotating the receiver over, other times in the ring I saw it used as both fighters were positioning themselves to throw and the mess that resulted was a bodylock throw. I was only there for four months odd and I can't speak thai but it didn't look like it was a penalty.

I also remember at one stage on a video somewhere seeing Malaipet use what appeared to be a high crotch throw in a fight where he caught a knee underneath the hip and lifted the opponent off the ground to a throw. Not sure what ruleset or where he was fighting.

this however doesn't clarify an answer...just muddying the waters for interest sake I guess.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast