Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 4:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thought for the night...

NEVER attempt to make Memphis Fried Chicken when drunk!

Leads to serious issues!

But its REALLy good, except when you get the hot stuff in your eye, then you scratch your privates, then you get hot oil burns....
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 5:16pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So Tripp you buying Vodka by the case yet? Myself I am more of an Absinth man or perhaps some whiskey. Hope your burns heal quickly.

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 5:16pm

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Worryingly, that's making me hungry.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 5:22pm

Style: Shaolin, Goshin Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God damn I want to be drunk and eating Memphis fried chicken!

Unfortuantely, my screaming liver (and wife) are refusing me scotch, and my saggy man boobs and inflated beer gut have got me off such delights as fried chicken and cheese burgers : (

Still, I can dream...

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 5:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am going through about 750 ml every two days, so tomorrow I buy the gallon jugs.

Because I love all of you... follow this EXACTLY! You will love me for this...

Chicken quarters take longer to cook than smaller pieces. To ensure that the exterior doesn't burn before the inside cooks through, keep the oil temperature between 300 and 325 degrees while the chicken is frying. For an extra-hot version, see related recipe.

BRINE
    2 quarts water
    1/2 cup hot sauce
    1/2 cup salt
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 (3 1/2-to 4-pound) whole chicken , quartered (see note)

COATING
    3 quarts peanut or vegetable oil
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon pepper

1. BRINE CHICKEN Whisk water, hot sauce, salt, and sugar in large bowl until salt and sugar dissolve. Add chicken and refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.

2. BLOOM SPICES Heat 3 tablespoons oil in small saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add cayenne, paprika, teaspoon salt, garlic powder, and sugar and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to small bowl.

3. DREDGE Remove chicken from refrigerator and pour off brine. Combine flour, teaspoon salt, and pepper in large bowl. Dredge chicken pieces 2 at a time in flour mixture. Shake excess flour from chicken and transfer to wire rack. (Do not discard seasoned flour.)

4. FRY AND BRUSH Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 200 degrees. Heat remaining oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat to 350 degrees. Return chicken pieces to flour mixture and turn to coat. Fry half of chicken, adjusting burner as necessary to maintain oil temperature between 300 and 325 degrees, until deep golden brown and white meat registers 160 degrees (175 degrees for dark meat), 20 to 25 minutes. Drain chicken on clean wire rack set inside rimmed baking sheet and place in oven. Bring oil back to 350 degrees and repeat with remaining chicken. Stir spicy oil mixture to recombine and brush over both sides of chicken. Serve on white bread with pickles.

Actually I use toasted garlic bread, pour the hot sauce over all and use sweet bread and butter pickles for the topping....
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 5:33pm

Style: BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    I am going through about 750 ml every two days, so tomorrow I buy the gallon jugs.

Because I love all of you... follow this EXACTLY! You will love me for this...

Chicken quarters take longer to cook than smaller pieces. To ensure that the exterior doesn't burn before the inside cooks through, keep the oil temperature between 300 and 325 degrees while the chicken is frying. For an extra-hot version, see related recipe.

BRINE
    2 quarts water
    1/2 cup hot sauce
    1/2 cup salt
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 (3 1/2-to 4-pound) whole chicken , quartered (see note)

COATING
    3 quarts peanut or vegetable oil
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon pepper

1. BRINE CHICKEN Whisk water, hot sauce, salt, and sugar in large bowl until salt and sugar dissolve. Add chicken and refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.

2. BLOOM SPICES Heat 3 tablespoons oil in small saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add cayenne, paprika, teaspoon salt, garlic powder, and sugar and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to small bowl.

3. DREDGE Remove chicken from refrigerator and pour off brine. Combine flour, teaspoon salt, and pepper in large bowl. Dredge chicken pieces 2 at a time in flour mixture. Shake excess flour from chicken and transfer to wire rack. (Do not discard seasoned flour.)

4. FRY AND BRUSH Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 200 degrees. Heat remaining oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat to 350 degrees. Return chicken pieces to flour mixture and turn to coat. Fry half of chicken, adjusting burner as necessary to maintain oil temperature between 300 and 325 degrees, until deep golden brown and white meat registers 160 degrees (175 degrees for dark meat), 20 to 25 minutes. Drain chicken on clean wire rack set inside rimmed baking sheet and place in oven. Bring oil back to 350 degrees and repeat with remaining chicken. Stir spicy oil mixture to recombine and brush over both sides of chicken. Serve on white bread with pickles.
    mtripp, I am glad you didnt leave. did you get my judo questions? Im going to try the recipe now

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 5:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Toasted french bread works real well too...

...please repost any questions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 5:52pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe you could get a monthly thing going Mtripp? Mtripp's cooking tips, perhaps?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 5:53pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds good, I was going to ask what the hell Memphis fried chicken is so thanks for the recipe.

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 5:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I could, but to be honest, just watch for those "Cooks Country" and "America's Test Kitchen" programs on your local PBS stations...

..they get my money every year just because of those two programs.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast