Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2010 1:24am

Style: Parkour, BJJ and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kung Fu in MMA?

So one of my mates used to do Kung Fu at my school, but since then I've moved on.

Anyway we still talk about it sometimes as I really like the people and instructors there and today I heard an odd bit of news.

They have apparently integrated American Kickboxing and sparring and even grappling into their style. This is all great news, but a quick browse of their qualifications on the website (www.sdca.com.au) indicates that a self defense instructor only requires 10 online lessons to qualify.

Now from what I have seen of the instructors in action, they certainly seem to have a good grasp of forms, and they are all in excellent condition. They hit the bag with great power and timing, although I'm no expert on any of this. Like I said they are all great people and I really enjoyed some of the stuff we did, the self defense applications against things like wrist grabs and stuff worked really well, maybe because it was the only thing trained in an alive manner.

But none of this qualifies them as a grappling coach.

And all this is in preparation for entering students in "some sort of MMA competition."

Now when they say they do MMA, what he means is a hybrid of Karate, TKD and their own style underneath the Northern Shaolin Praying Mantis Kung Fu banner. Technically they are correct, although MMA has taken on a different meaning lately, and I think this is misleading marketing.

But my issue is IF they integrate MMA techniques into their training, and IF they have any qualifications to do so, and IF they are totally sincere in their efforts to do MMA, could they even do so?

Are MMA fights even legal in Victoria?

All this is drawn from a conversation with someone who currently trains there, and from my personal relations with the instructors. It is all speculation and rumours, hence it is in YMAS.

Posted On:
    6/17/2010 5:06am

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup, it's marketing bullshit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2010 5:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think MMA is victoria is still considered barbaric in down in Victoria. I'm not sure if they even got around to allowing elbow strikes in maui thai bouts? They are going to have the IFC up here in queensland in july, its gonna be awesome.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/17/2010 8:11am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RealManOfSteel View Post
    So one of my mates used to do Kung Fu at my school, but since then I've moved on.

Anyway we still talk about it sometimes as I really like the people and instructors there and today I heard an odd bit of news.

They have apparently integrated American Kickboxing and sparring and even grappling into their style. This is all great news, but a quick browse of their qualifications on the website (www.sdca.com.au) indicates that a self defense instructor only requires 10 online lessons to qualify.

Now from what I have seen of the instructors in action, they certainly seem to have a good grasp of forms, and they are all in excellent condition. They hit the bag with great power and timing, although I'm no expert on any of this. Like I said they are all great people and I really enjoyed some of the stuff we did, the self defense applications against things like wrist grabs and stuff worked really well, maybe because it was the only thing trained in an alive manner.

But none of this qualifies them as a grappling coach.

And all this is in preparation for entering students in "some sort of MMA competition."

Now when they say they do MMA, what he means is a hybrid of Karate, TKD and their own style underneath the Northern Shaolin Praying Mantis Kung Fu banner. Technically they are correct, although MMA has taken on a different meaning lately, and I think this is misleading marketing.

But my issue is IF they integrate MMA techniques into their training, and IF they have any qualifications to do so, and IF they are totally sincere in their efforts to do MMA, could they even do so?

Are MMA fights even legal in Victoria?

All this is drawn from a conversation with someone who currently trains there, and from my personal relations with the instructors. It is all speculation and rumours, hence it is in YMAS.
    Once upon a time Mixing or mIxed Martial arts was used to denote mixing different styles like Bruce Lee minus grappling in most cases.

It became few and far between when, the "jack of all trades master of none" phrase reared its ugly head. When MMA became huge suddenly, all of these TMAers decided that they coined the phrase and they could use it again. IMO, unless you are in you mid to late forties or beyond, you are FoS if you use MMA in this manner.

Even this category is suspect in most cases IMO.

Posted On:
    6/17/2010 8:26am

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They crosstrain, maybe not very well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2010 4:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I sort of want to go down and have a look. What's stopping me is that I'm pretty sure I know what I'll see.

I tried to get my mate into BJJ, since his contract expires in the next couple of months, but the stigma around it made it too hard.

People are retarded, they say they want to train MMA and do combat sports and then they ignore the martial art that is pretty much at the core of it due to teenage close mindedness. I admit I was the same way though, till some helpful bullies gave me some 'guidance'.

But I'm slowly breaking down his resistance to proper training, maybe later on I'll invite him for a roll to drive the point home.

Posted On:
    6/18/2010 4:07am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RealManOfSteel View Post
    But I'm slowly breaking down his resistance to proper training, maybe later on I'll invite him for a roll to drive the point home.
    Then you can drive your point up his butt. In a non-gay way of course.

Butsecks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2010 4:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOLOLOL.

I'm sure a triangle choke would go down the best.

Posted On:
    6/18/2010 4:33am

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes the best way to 'convert' a friend or loved one is to punch/choke them unconscious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2010 6:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Confucious say: The way to help is to hurt.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast