Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 1:40pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The original Karate Kid as a Comedy

your portrayal and analysis are very very in depth and good, i see one fatal flaw in that article:

comparing enter the dragon to karate kid is like comparing crank to airplane.

karate kid is a comedy,

it should not be taken as a serious action film. its like gymkata, brazillian brawl, berry gordy's the last dragon, old school, fistfull of yen, harold and kumar go to white castle, the naked gun or remo williams, best watched with some weed and a bottle of quality mezcal.

EDIT:
    ok- i might be partially bieng facetious, but its pretty hard to take the karate kid seriously. if anything i think the karate kid is a reflection of the popular opinion based on mythology run wild that existed before not the cause of it. i agree with your article- but i just HATE to give the karate kid that kind of credibility to even be mentioned in the same article as enter the dragon.
    Last edited by Bluto Blutarsky; 5/21/2010 1:45pm at .

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 1:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings, time traveler from 2005!

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto Blutarsky View Post
    your portrayal and analysis are very very in depth and good, i see one fatal flaw in that article:

comparing enter the dragon to karate kid is like comparing crank to airplane.

karate kid is a comedy,

it should not be taken as a serious action film. its like gymkata, brazillian brawl, berry gordy's the last dragon, old school, fistfull of yen, harold and kumar go to white castle, the naked gun or remo williams, best watched with some weed and a bottle of quality mezcal.

EDIT:
    ok- i might be partially bieng facetious, but its pretty hard to take the karate kid seriously. if anything i think the karate kid is a reflection of the popular opinion based on mythology run wild that existed before not the cause of it. i agree with your article- but i just HATE to give the karate kid that kind of credibility to even be mentioned in the same article as enter the dragon.
    Well, since it's been resurrected, I'll help continue the debate...

Essentially, even though you and many others may consider it a "comedy" it is, in fact, portrayed and genre identified as a "drama". By that identification, it is considered to be serious in tone than your average drama. It's also one of the reasons its impact is felt to this day. A very different movie than "The Last Dragon" even though both are as as close to fantasy as you can get when it comes to actual martial arts application.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2010 1:17pm

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Recently on Cracked there was an article on how the karate kid ruined the modern world.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18544...ern-world.html

the article focuses on the idea that training hard for a little bit of time will let you overcome years of hard work and dedication. The author goes on to point out that because of this line of thinking most people have no concept of how hard things really are, and end up either quitting or taking the easy out. It's a fun article.

Posted On:
    5/23/2010 2:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Love working out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice...

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/23/2010 2:39pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2010 11:04pm

Style: -TKD--BJJ-

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by korean dragon View Post
    the article focuses on the idea that training hard for a little bit of time will let you overcome years of hard work and dedication. The author goes on to point out that because of this line of thinking most people have no concept of how hard things really are, and end up either quitting or taking the easy out. .
    I was in 4th or 5th grade when I saw the movie way-back-when, It rocked my world, it and other things planted the "martial" seeds in my head... but as I trained on and off and saw this movie over the years I kept on thinking how did a total noob, win a whole full contact tournament (in the black belt division?) they must have been some weak black belts, or Mr. Miagi was a great ass teacher... but hey its is what it is...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 3:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IT WAS A CHILDRENS' MOVIE, not a comedy, not an action, not a thriller

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 4:55am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetsamurai View Post
    I was in 4th or 5th grade when I saw the movie way-back-when, It rocked my world, it and other things planted the "martial" seeds in my head... but as I trained on and off and saw this movie over the years I kept on thinking how did a total noob, win a whole full contact tournament (in the black belt division?) they must have been some weak black belts, or Mr. Miagi was a great ass teacher... but hey its is what it is...

I thought the reason he won a full contact Karate tournament after only a few months intense training was because Miyagi only taught him techniques that worked as opposed to flashy jumping kicks that that Chinese looking guy used against Johnny in the semi finals. But hey it was a teenagers film and was meant to be taken with a pinch of salt.
    Personally though I would rather watch this Film than Enter the Dragon as the fighting in that looks really dated

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 5:03am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bigstu, do you have any fucking idea what you are on about? Because you clearly don't.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast