Posted On:
    5/11/2010 12:39am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Firearm Basics

Okay so I'm hooked.

In January I picked myself up a sig229 and I'm a regular at the range. I've liked shooting so much that I recently picked up a browning .22 for cheap plinking & practicing, and I have ordered a ruger 10/22 to start learning the basics of rifle shooting.

That being said, where do I go from here?

We always tell someone who wants to learn martial arts to go find a teacher, well... I can take a class here and there (shootrite is nearby, and camp skeletor is coming up woot), but the majority of my time is going to be me and perhaps a buddy, my firearm and targets.

I've picked up some basics on shooting and paid particular attention to making good safety habits, but where's a good place I can go for info on drills and training techniques to work on improving my abilities? Especially some way of tracking my improvement would be great, so any suggestions you guys have would be much appreciated.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 10:42am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that's how the majority of folks shoot...going out to the range with some friends and a bunch of targets. That being said, I wouldn't dismiss taking a class. Firearms training is not like MA training, its not like you'll be tied down to a 100/month contract. ;)

Personally, I'd start with contacting an NRA certified instructor in your area and go from there. You'll probably meet someone with some good ideas.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 11:41am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    most of shooting isn't advanced theory stuff. it's like boxing. there are only so many punches you can throw.

while looking for instruction, just put a shitload of rounds through your .22 and have fun. work on mastering the basics, like breath control, squeezing the trigger (as opposed to pulling it), stance, and all the other good stuff that people don't do in the movies.

you'll have fun and you'll have some rock solid fundamentals to shooting that will last a lifetime.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 1:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by White Kimbo View Post
    most of shooting isn't advanced theory stuff. it's like boxing. there are only so many punches you can throw.

while looking for instruction, just put a shitload of rounds through your .22 and have fun. work on mastering the basics, like breath control, squeezing the trigger (as opposed to pulling it), stance, and all the other good stuff that people don't do in the movies.

you'll have fun and you'll have some rock solid fundamentals to shooting that will last a lifetime.
    I'd like to find some specific drills and training exercises to do, do you guys know of any online resources or really good books I could find that covers **** like that?

Also, any recommendations on firearm specific forums that aren't overrun with the "HUSSEIN OBAMA'S GONNA TAKE MAH GUNS" crowd? I've only been able to find one so far and it's focused primarily on long rifle shooting (Sniper Central).
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 2:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    get in touch with local NRA. hopefully your chapter isn't full of the "HUSSEIN OBAMA'S GONNA TAKE MAH GUNS" bunch, but my experience has been that the NRA is relatively professional.

they will be able to hook you up with everything you need as a beginner.

or you can call moose, his nuts just dropped not to long ago.
    --------

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 2:39pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take one or two courses and practice what you learn. It's not the same thing you do when training a martial art. I myself have never taken an NRA course in my life. I grew up shooting with family and I probably know more shooting technique than quite a few NRA instructors, if not most of them. There's really nothing you can learn in a class that you can't learn by asking questions and shooting with people you know and trust at the range.

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 9:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my local gun range is full of uber right wing tactifags who never made anything of significance with their lives. all they do is sit around and talk about how much awesomer one gun they've never used in combat is over another gun they never will use in combat.

that and homie from the hood with his latest 'gat looking like a fool with his pants on the ground talking about who he would pop if they messed with his ****.

gun ranges can be hella hit or miss. we should probably have a gun range douche thread in here.
    --------

Posted On:
    5/12/2010 1:06am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For me, the local range is a grouping of spots out in the mountains and desert North of Phoenix. The only legitimate range around here sucks arse, so we make our own ranges outdoors. Much more freedom and there tend to be plenty of people around in the better spots that really know how to shoot. I've even seen people set up tables and coolers by their vehicles so they could play poker out there when they were done shooting. Does your local range have poker tables and cool beverages? I didn't think so!

Posted On:
    5/12/2010 1:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my range has a stash of vintage hustlers. it's like masturbating in a time machine.

ok, not really, i'm just jealous of your range. it's better than mine.
    --------

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2010 2:04am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think outdoor ranges in general have a better vibe than indoor ranges. Even if they aren't the cool make-yer-own kind. (That's kinda frowned upon in the Boston area...something to do with population density...)

Up hear at least, going out during crappy weather is a hella good time. Its generally LARPer/tactifag/homie free. If there are other people out there, chances are they are good people to shoot with.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast