Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/05/2010 9:37am

Style: muay thai newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

how I was maimed by the complete muay thai home study course and my own newbishness

Hi all, great site! I visited a while back and was going to ask about muay thai places in the UK. I ended up sending away for a course I saw an ad for. While I waited for the dvds to arrive, I went out and bought a bag and started practicing hitting and kicking it. It was loads of fun but I really just was blowing off steam because I dont know anything yet.

The course finally arrived. It was made by Scott “Bam Bam” Sullivan who runs Bam Bam martial arts school. Needless to say he is a qualified instructor and has earned the whiskers to make such a great series. He was and may still be part of the TBA of USA organization of Ajarn Surachai(Chai) Sirisute in the states. The TBA site is always down so I couldn’t verify current status. None the less he is credible. He is a very animated speaker and like many energetic martial artist adds sound effects to the techniques as he demonstrates them. With his fight name Bam Bam and the noises he makes add into some old original batman series bangs and pow animations would really help get people motivated (lol), I think. In all seriousness how he speaks its good, he understands how people learn. I started with the first diskMuay Thai Fundementals

Very good coverage of basics I think. This doesn’t cover every technique used in a muay thai fight but it cover the ones a fighter would use 99.9% of the time unless he goes to the ground. His terminology works but it is different than what my friends who train tai kwon and kick boxing use. Nothing wrong with that you would just have to make that adjustment yourself if your working long distance with a new coach right? This is truly a great starter disk, nothing fancy or unexpected.

My only con from this disc and its a big one -is that the cover hand the fingers are nearly fully extended all the time. I was taught by my mates to have a loose fist and not present my finger like the top of a rooster. He sometimes has his thumbs extended when making fists also. Is this right? I was told by my mate that was another no – no. Let me state he didn’t say do these two things but if some one like me analyzes the video they pick it up.They can get injured more easily which ended up bein the problem for me.
    Other than that this is good. He shows how the body should move without the punch being thrown, I thought that is a useful tool a lot of beginners like me might get hung up on the tool and the end of the technique and not the foundation.

Now I have a hyperextended thumb and can't train right now but I am letting the audio run while I study and sleep so that I get more used to the terminology.

Does anyone know how long it takes before you can put the gloves on again and bang the bag.

Thanks in advance

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2010 9:42am

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So because a video didn't tell you, you didn't think it would be a good idea to clench your fist before hitting a bag? Sorry mate, you're crippled for life. Your MT dreams are over.

Posted On:
    5/05/2010 9:43am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't kid yourself, you are not learning Muay Thai.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    5/05/2010 10:03am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just train at a gym and stop messing about, save the DVD's for when you have a rough idea of what you're supposed to be doing.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    5/05/2010 10:49am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm curious how a complete noob would even know who Marco is.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    5/05/2010 10:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DVDs are generally only useful for finetuning when you cant get down the gym or dont have a full size mirror available for shadows.

go to a gym.. or you'll never know what you're doing wrong until you wake up in a puddle of your own blood and piss
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2010 11:33am

Style: MT noob, BJJ even noober

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    I'm curious how a complete noob would even know who Marco is.
    Spidey senses are a-tingling?

To the original poster: where in the UK are you? There are bullies here that can probably suggest a local school for you. Like the posters before me have said, leave the video learning for later. You need a kru that can see your form and make corrections where necessary, and a place that provides a safe environment in which to learn MT. You watching a DVD and then banging around with your buddies is an easy way for someone to get injured.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    5/05/2010 11:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thaclient View Post
    Spidey senses are a-tingling?
    It isn't War Wheel alone who's Spidey senses are a-tingling. The first part of the OP his text reads as an informercial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    5/05/2010 12:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoRugeass View Post
    With his fight name Bam Bam and the noises he makes add into some old original batman series bangs and pow animations would really help get people motivated
    YouTube- Batman 1960s Intro
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/05/2010 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well he says here

I'm in Boston. WHere are you located?

Dude, seriously, all you need is the Somerville Boxing Club. There's a great BJJ school in watertown.
    So is there a Boston in the UK? And how is a MT noob, experienced enough to say what is a "great BJJ school"?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast