Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/03/2010 12:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boxing tents

I was just interested to see if anyone knows anything about boxing tents.
    As far as I can find out Brophies might still be going but is on its last legs.

Does anybody have more information?

Has anybody worked as a tent boxer or gone to one of the shows?

If they do run where do they opperate?

Another thing I heard is they do tag team boxing. Is this as insane a concept as I imagine it to be?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 8:11am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing tents? Is that like a portable boxing gym?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 8:43am

Style: BJJ, TKD, Lifting+Cardio

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    I was just interested to see if anyone knows anything about boxing tents.
    As far as I can find out Brophies might still be going but is on its last legs.

Does anybody have more information?

Has anybody worked as a tent boxer or gone to one of the shows?

If they do run where do they opperate?

Another thing I heard is they do tag team boxing. Is this as insane a concept as I imagine it to be?
    EPIC. I wanna see vids

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 8:58am

Style: MMA / BJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My friends went to a rodeo recently in Australia and they had the boxing tent there so they are still alive and running in Oz anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4LQysWei3Q

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 9:15am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There aren't many left in Aus but you are right there are still some running. The rules are lax and the technique usually average but the feeling you get when you're involved in such an event is how i think prize fighting 'should' be. I've seen tag team boxing, bare knuckled fights and trained aborigine lads knocking out guys twice their size in front of a cheering crowd.

The tents usually travel with their champions and take volunteers from the crowd to fight them. They understate the weight of their own fighters by about 20 pounds because they assume the crowd will too and from what i gather the promoter usually has a good eye for spotting the trained fighters in the volunteers.

Didn't work on me though, skinny dude with no tattoos and a beer in each hand ;) The guy running the show told me "its a boxing fight, you can kick if you want but he's going to kick you back". One of the best times i've ever had.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 9:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    There aren't many left in Aus but you are right there are still some running. The rules are lax and the technique usually average but the feeling you get when you're involved in such an event is how i think prize fighting 'should' be. I've seen tag team boxing, bare knuckled fights and trained aborigine lads knocking out guys twice their size in front of a cheering crowd.

The tents usually travel with their champions and take volunteers from the crowd to fight them. They understate the weight of their own fighters by about 20 pounds because they assume the crowd will too and from what i gather the promoter usually has a good eye for spotting the trained fighters in the volunteers.

Didn't work on me though, skinny dude with no tattoos and a beer in each hand ;) The guy running the show told me "its a boxing fight, you can kick if you want but he's going to kick you back". One of the best times i've ever had.
    I can imagine, those tent fights look like the setting from some B-movie about an underground fight ring. Wow, only in a country descended from prison stock IMO.

The really important question is, however, did you throw a head kick?

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 9:48am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't end up kicking, i was only doing it for some more beer money and figured they probably wouldn't pay me if I kicked the poor lad in the face.

Heres a facebook video of one of my friends fighting in the tents, not sure if it'll work though:
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video....=1176185407512
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 3:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Waahhh this looks like fun. Kinda reminds me of the toughman boxing they had at BAR Nashville a bunch of years ago. My first exposure to beating someone up in front of a crowd were my two BAR Nashville bouts against girls of varying degrees of **** facedness. Good times :)
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 3:30pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    The rules are lax and the technique usually average but the feeling you get when you're involved in such an event is how i think prize fighting 'should' be. I've seen tag team boxing, bare knuckled fights and trained aborigine lads knocking out guys twice their size in front of a cheering crowd.

Didn't work on me though, skinny dude with no tattoos and a beer in each hand ;)
    This is how I dream all fight clubs are, and how the fights go down with skinny dudes tearing **** up.

I always knew Australia was awesome. Except for the insane amount of deadly critters. And huntsman spiders.
    Last edited by OiScout; 5/04/2010 3:33pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/04/2010 3:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OiScout View Post

I always knew Australia was awesome. Except for the insane amount of deadly critters. And huntsman spiders.
    I was in Oz once, went to a party. Saw this thing on the wall that I assumed was a joke plastic giant spider until it started crawling. Politely asked the host if she knew there was a gigantic spider in her living room. "Oh, that's just Freddie," she said. "He keeps the lizards away."

Shudder.