Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 10:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kun Gek Do (Gwon-gyokdo)

Hi there!

Just found this place during a google search on the topic above. Nice place.

I've been trying to find more info about Kun Gek Do also known as Gwon-gyokdo and also Koren Kickboxing, although there are other styles also known as Korean Kickboxing like Han-Kuk-Mu-Do and also Kyuk Too Ki which I'm still not sure it's a style or just a set of rules or type of modality where different styles fight each other.
    Does anybody have any more info about Kun Gek Do? All I could find was a couple of short texts in old forum posts and the short wikipedia description.
    I also found the Turtlepress video on Kyuk Too Ki and I'm undecided if i should get it. It seems more like Koreans practicing Muay Thai than anything else while the impression i have from Kun Gek Do is that it has more Taekwondo in it but I can't find any books or DVDs or articles on it.
    If anybody knows any info I would greatly appreciate if you could share. I'm a huge fan of the Korean martial arts. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Ranca; 4/12/2010 11:01pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 11:24am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess this must be a really obscure style. Over 50 views and nobody has added anything. A forum search did not return any results either.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 3:19pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think you will find much material in English. From my limited knowledge, I should add basic limited knowledge. 권격도 Kun guk do (whatever you wanna spell it). It's pretty much kick box.

It's hybrid style as variant of Muay Thai but it's more of rule format than style I think. Their competitions involve various other schools from TKD, Tuk Gong moo sool, Kick Boxers, etc.

Originally I think it was a TKD guy that started this Muay Thai variation. TKd guy had fight with Muay Thai guy. Afterward, TKD guy incorporated Muay Thai techniques that's not allowed or taught in TKD such as low kicks, elbows, knees, etc. Then sparred using it. I don't know exactly. I'm sure someone on this board knows better than I.

If you can read and write Korean, goolging 권격도 you'll see more. If not, using google translator should help you found out more. HQ is in Busan, South Korea and they do have website.

Edit: And yes this is a minority even amongst KMA.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 3:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranca View Post
    ...the short wikipedia description...
    is faulty. Probely rewritten to serve the purpose of probally this group ( http://www.koreamartialarts.org/ ).

Kun Gek Do is a Martial Sport that is created from mixing Muay Thai and Taekwondo.

Kyuk Too Ki is a ruleset (like Sanda) that is used by fighters of different Korean Martial Arts (Taekwondo, Hapkido, Kuk Sool Won, Kun Gek Do, etc...) to compete against eachother.
    And just like Sanda there are know some schools that teach "Kyuk Too Ki" as their main style or better said a "Kickboxing-style" that is specific caterd to the Kyuk Too Ki ruleset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 4:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks both of you for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by babo78 View Post
    If you can read and write Korean, goolging 권격도 you'll see more. If not, using google translator should help you found out more. HQ is in Busan, South Korea and they do have website.
    Would you know their website url?
    Been looking for it all over without any success.
    I don't speak Korean at all but I will have a go at google Korea and the term you gave and use google translation.

Thanks.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 4:47pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained in Gwongyeokdo several years ago. My Taekwondo teacher was also a 6th dan in it.

The Turtle press Gyeoktugi videos are pretty good, and give a great overview of training & the system. Gyeoktugi, as mentioned before, just means systematized sparring techniques, a ruleset for fighting. Those schools training in just Gyeoktugi tend to look more like sanda/sanshou with the emphasis on waist throws.

You're not gonna find any good schools of it outside of South Korea. If it's something that interests you, you're gonna have to go there. Further, if you go, expect to train like a kickboxer, not like a Taekwondo person with a little kickboxing added.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/14/2010 4:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks.
    Yes, I'm willing to go there and train for a while. But I need to be able to contact somebody there before and get more information about it. The headquarters or association would be the best I guess. But although I found 2 names of associations,World Kun Gek Do-Kim Moo Kwan Association and World Martial Art Kunguk-do Korea, googling those names didn't turn up their websites and I don't know the Korean names to google it in Korean. I'm also not sure any of those is the headquarters in Busan.

Where did you train Kun Gek do in Korea?

Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    if you go, expect to train like a kickboxer, not like a Taekwondo person with a little kickboxing added.
    Right. But it is not pretty much Muay Thai training is it?
    One of the things that interested me was the extra stuff over Muay Thai like self defense oriented techniques and the fact it has Taekwondo kicks too instead of only the thai boxing kicks.

I have trained in Muay Thai and also Taekwondo and the turtle video looked like pure Muay-Thai to me, reason I was a bit skeptical in getting it. If it's just Muay-Thai I wouldn't need it.

Thanks.

P.S. By the way, anybody knows if Jung Do-mo is still alive?

Last edited by Ranca; 4/14/2010 5:28pm at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 9:14pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you thought the Turtle Press video looked like pure Muay Thai...

You're full of ****.

Just stick with Olympic Taekwondo.

Real martial arts would be too scary for you.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 9:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    If you thought the Turtle Press video looked like pure Muay Thai...

You're full of ****.

Just stick with Olympic Taekwondo.

Real martial arts would be too scary for you.
    DerAuslander108, WTF?(I can tell you this DOES NOT stand for World Taekwondo Federation).

What's your problem?
    First, I said the turtle press DVD "LOOKED LIKE" pure Muay Thais as in " I can not tell since I never watched it but by the trailer it looked like Muay Thai." Not saying it is or isn't. I don't know. I haven't seen it.

About sticking to Olympic Taekwondo because "real" martial arts are too scary for me (whatever that means, any martial art is real martial art), as I said I train Muay Thai! Have also trained BJJ and Taekwondo. Because I know Muay Thai is why I said the Turtle press trailer looks like Muay Thai training for me. But then again it's like a 14 seconds trailer. Can't tell much. But the fighters even have Thai shorts and arm bends.

Going back to calling Taekwondo not a real MA, this sounds pretty freaking tough coming from somebody who wears a Dobok in her avatar, if that's you. I just wonder how you are in person because anybody can talk smack behind a keyboard but if you have that attitude in person you must have you mouth full of toes all the time with all those yop chagis you eat for your uncalled attitude.
    Honestly, if you don't want to help stay out of the thread. Your uncalled attitude and rudeness tells me that you are an underachiever with too much to prove or just a flat out...
    Try to enjoy life a bit more and try to actually read what people write before replying.
    Last edited by Ranca; 4/15/2010 9:44pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 11:48am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranca View Post
    Thanks both of you for the reply.

Would you know their website url?
    Been looking for it all over without any success.
    I don't speak Korean at all but I will have a go at google Korea and the term you gave and use google translation.

Thanks.
    http://kungekdo.nazin.net/1_intro/5_board1.php

That should be it.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast