Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2010 9:18am

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need advice on Distancing and Advanced Movement

Recently I fought at the NC Olympic TKD state championships where I got owned in an exhibition match. The main problem I had in the match was that I couldn't seem to reach my opponent. He would just kind of hang back way outside of kicking range then shot in to score. This tripped me up, becuase as a taller fighter I try to catch people coming in, but because of the distance he kept between us he could come in on me, and then just as I start to make my move, stop himself to counter me. The main counter he used was a sliding step spinning back kick that nailed me a bunch of times.

Now I'm a 6-foot, 210 pound guy so I've always tried hard to keep my attacks tight and compacted, so what I'm looking for is any advice you guys have on distancing and movement, because the main thing that frustrated me about that guy's style was his ability to move into his kicks ,or move as he kicked I guess. I have three more big tournaments coming up so any tips on movement or increasing the range of my attacks would be greatly appreciated.

sincerly ,The Korean Dragon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2010 1:09pm

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are taller, you have the reach advantage. The fact he has to come into your fighting range to attack will work in your favor. Part of the key to that is being more aggressive; go on the offensive rather then just wait in your range and attack once he comes in.

I'm the same height and build as you so I speak from experience. Taller people obviously have the reach advantage for sparring so make good use of it.

The main counter he used was a sliding step spinning back kick that nailed me a bunch of times.
    Cut to the side and follow with a front leg turning kick. Or right as he is turning on the back kick slide in with a cut kick motion to trap him.

Hope this helps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2010 1:54pm

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In terms of movement I have found side stepping and circling to be far superior to straight in and out. When somebody tries to enter don't move back but move to the side. This works well for me, but I'm more of a puncher anyway so what do I know.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/18/2010 5:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    listen to feral.. circling > linear movement
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    3/18/2010 5:49pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait until he rushes in to kick you, and then punch him right in his fucking nose.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/18/2010 6:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcusdbrutus View Post
    Wait until he rushes in to kick you, and then punch him right in his fucking nose.
    LOL, this is the answer I tried to avoid giving.. Point fighters don't tend to like violence
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2010 7:49pm

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh point fighting, how I miss the DQs

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2010 8:31pm

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feral00 View Post
    In terms of movement I have found side stepping and circling to be far superior to straight in and out. When somebody tries to enter don't move back but move to the side. This works well for me, but I'm more of a puncher anyway so what do I know.
    That's pretty good advice. I meant to add about punching. Aside from sheer raw strength, punch the other guy strong enough he'll think twice before rushing in close. I've seen many fighters stopped dead in their tracks and freeze up because they got punches a lot.

LOL if only man. Though you may be able to get away with it, depending on how attentive the ref is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2010 10:01pm

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feral00 View Post
    The problem wasn't that I didn't circle, we both were the problem was that he was angleling off from so far away that everytime I tried to attack him he would counter me.

the best way I can explain it is that when I tried to attack him coming in he'd change his angle to counter me before I could adjust.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 3:02pm

Style: hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you need to gain speed. Im 6ft 195lbs and I think Im way to heavy and slow for TKD style sparring. Never had success and always went agains shorter faster oponents. Or maybe I just suck. IDK
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast