Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 4:17pm

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My dilemma: revolver or semi auto? The answer: revolver wins!

Well as of today I am the proud owner of a stainless steel, Rossi 6" .357 Magnum revolver.

My rational?

Easy; COST!

I had $500-$600 to spend on a hand gun; I could have gotten a used basic Milspec model Springfield 1911 .45 and gone over the allowed budget for $636 after taxes from a guy locally.

OR,

Went for a 30 min drive and got for under $500; the pistol, 2 boxes of ammo, and a very nice split grain leather holster.

In this day and age saving the money made sense and earned points with the missus. (I will cash in on those points later on my next fire arm purchase)

I would have preferred the .45, but all of the gun shops I went to had the high-end Kimber models starting out at around $960, too rich for my blood. And additionally I needed something to pull triple duty; home defense, hunting, and predator defense while hunting in the deep woods.

Anyhow I am going shooting Tuesday and will write a review, so stay tuned!

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 6:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing wrong with a .357 revolver (I always liked the S&W 3"HB #13) but I've never been a big fan of Rossi. I always thought Taurus gave better bang for the buck for the budget minded. It's also been a good 13 years or so since I sold guns for a living so it's possible they've done some quality control since then. Good luck with it.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 6:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Nothing wrong with a .357 revolver (I always liked the S&W 3"HB #13) but I've never been a big fan of Rossi. I always thought Taurus gave better bang for the buck for the budget minded. It's also been a good 13 years or so since I sold guns for a living so it's possible they've done some quality control since then. Good luck with it.
    Smith first, then Ruger, then Taurus, Charter, then Rossi. I'd never buy a Rossi if I had the money to get anything else.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 6:34pm

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found out prior to purchasing that Taurus bought out Rossi and all of the places I went didn't have anything over 4", I was looking for at least 5". The next thing they had under the glass was a S&W, but again 4" vs 6" and the price was significantly more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 6:36pm

Style: IRT/FMA/BJJ/BUDO TAIJUTSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congratulations! I hope you enjoy the new toy!

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 6:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AMF View Post
    I found out prior to purchasing that Taurus bought out Rossi and all of the places I went didn't have anything over 4", I was looking for at least 5". The next thing they had under the glass was a S&W, but again 4" vs 6" and the price was significantly more.
    well, take it all apart and clean & polish everything. Put it back together & have fun!
    BTW: good choice on the 6" for .357, you don't really get any performance from the .357 over .38+p w/o being at least 4", better 6". Definitely a good choice, you can hunt small stuff and train with .38, hunt big stuff & self defense with .357

Next time you have some cashola, check out the Ruger SP101. They have some sweet little 3" .357mag revolvers that just will... not.... QUIT!!!!
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 7:03pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when the question is ".357," the answer is "yes."

i love my 4" model 13.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 7:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Taurus 650CIA hammerless FTMFW. I take it everywhere and it shoots like a champ. If I lose it...I'm out like $200. Who gives a damn? It's still a good shooter.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 7:12pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor View Post
    My Taurus 650CIA hammerless FTMFW. I take it everywhere and it shoots like a champ. If I lose it...I'm out like $200. Who gives a damn? It's still a good shooter.
    $200!?!

fuckin' cop discounts... :cwm10:

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/07/2010 8:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just picked up a S&W 686 for $500, and can't wait to take it out for a test. If you're still looking for a 1911 for cheap, check out what Rock Island has to offer. I got mine for $400, and it shoots great from my experience.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast