Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 9:53pm

Style: Justice/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Any single actions shooters around that can give a newb some help?

So I have a single action revolver that I have just been toting around in a gun case to and from the range since I got it. Now that I have a little extra cash and a lot of extra time I am wanting to get a decent gunbelt and try learning the quick draw. I was hoping some of the bullies here might be single action shooters and have some helpful leads as to decent quality for good price belts and holsters and also any decent materials for learning some quick draw skills. Is gunbroker going to be my best bet for belts and holsters? Are there any youtube vids that are worth checking out?

Also out of curiosity what are some opinions on single action pistols that you've fired? Any favorite brands or brands to stay away from? I've only ever fired the Ruger new vaqueros in 45 LC and .357. I liked them enough to buy one but also because it was in stock and cheaper than ordering an Uberti which I'd never heard of or fired.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 12:20pm

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    www.sassnet.com Single Action Shooting Society. Has links. Look for fast draw.

You may find some fast draw videos on utube

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2010 2:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, I'll give it a look. Any opinion on single action revolvers? Like I said I've only ever fired rugers but I see both Uberti and some company called Cimarron but I've never fired either of them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 2:00am

Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick draw is the #2 cause of self inflicted gunshots to the leg. Please get yourself some snap caps and practice without live ammo to start.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 1:46pm

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooded Justice View Post
    Thanks, I'll give it a look. Any opinion on single action revolvers? Like I said I've only ever fired rugers but I see both Uberti and some company called Cimarron but I've never fired either of them.

Safe quick draw takes a lot of practice. I am not quallified to give advice. Check SASS out.

I like Ruger. I shoot a Single Six on regularly. SA or DA is a preference.

Uberti/Cimarron may be okay. I like the price points. If you are just starting out find something used from a reputable dealer or friend.

Most of your practice in the beginning should involve drawing, aiming and pulling the trigger. Not much actual shooting.

Go to an event.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 4:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poofist View Post
    Quick draw is the #2 cause of self inflicted gunshots to the leg. Please get yourself some snap caps and practice without live ammo to start.
    So what is the #1 cause of self inflicted gunshot wounds to the leg? I definitely plan on spending a large amount of time drawing an empty gun. I've never heard of snap caps? Are those like low power blanks or something? Primer only loads?

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 4:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Snap caps are just plastic or rubber dummy rounds that you can load in your gun. They are good for guns that are not supposed to be dry fired, and for loading/unloading drills. We used to use them on the range for failure drills by mixing them in with live rounds.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 5:08pm

Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what is the #1 cause of self inflicted gunshot wounds to the leg? I definitely plan on spending a large amount of time drawing an empty gun. I've never heard of snap caps? Are those like low power blanks or something? Primer only loads?
    Improper or no holster.

Snap caps are as JudOWNED says.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 5:42pm

Style: Brawling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Iraq, it was the IDF getting off of trucks....with loaded weapons, off safe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 10:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    Snap caps are just plastic or rubber dummy rounds that you can load in your gun. They are good for guns that are not supposed to be dry fired, and for loading/unloading drills. We used to use them on the range for failure drills by mixing them in with live rounds.
    Ok yeah I've seen those before just wasn't aware what they are called.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast