Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    9
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    combat hapkido discussion

    Combat Hapkido is not bullshido. I've trained in traditional hapkido, and while it is effective (depending on the instructor), I found that CH is just as effective depending on the instructor. CH trains in/for street defense, not tournaments, no sparring. There are not high kicks or katas/forms. No fancy moves and other stuff that can and will get you killed in the street. The way we train in the NYC dojang is serious and to the point. We have instructors with background ranging from NYPD, special forces, and other traditional MA's. We train with intent and purpose. I'll put it as simple as this: the difference between TH and CH is like a Sunday breakfast. On Sunday a person has time to sit down to a leisurely breakfast and can take their time. On Monday morning, they are rushing to work and will get a coffee and bagel from a street cart. If you have the time and desire to learn and train in a traditional MA and have to desire to learn the culture and background, than traditional hapkido or any MA is good for you. If you're interested in learning self defense and not interested in background and culture, any self defense program, like combat hapkido, vee arnis, etc, that doesn't teach forms and traditional weapons will do. Anyone in the NYC/Bronx area is most than welcome to stop and check us out. www.ichfny.com.

  2. #2
    ignatzami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    1,849
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaa View Post
    Combat Hapkido is not bullshido..... Anyone in the NYC/Bronx area is most than welcome to stop and check us out. www.ichfny.com.
    Oooookay!

    Other then the god-awful website design I'll say the following: Any martial art that does not train at or near full speed against a resisting opponent will not work in a fight. If Combat Hapkido claims to teach self defense, and does not train at or near full speed with a resisting opponent then the claims of self defense are false and the style is bullshit.... or as we like to say around here Bullshido.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

  3. #3
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,445
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaa View Post
    Combat Hapkido is not bullshido. I've trained in traditional hapkido, and while it is effective (depending on the instructor), I found that CH is just as effective depending on the instructor. CH trains in/for street defense, not tournaments, no sparring. There are not high kicks or katas/forms. No fancy moves and other stuff that can and will get you killed in the street. The way we train in the NYC dojang is serious and to the point. We have instructors with background ranging from NYPD, special forces, and other traditional MA's. We train with intent and purpose. I'll put it as simple as this: the difference between TH and CH is like a Sunday breakfast. On Sunday a person has time to sit down to a leisurely breakfast and can take their time. On Monday morning, they are rushing to work and will get a coffee and bagel from a street cart. If you have the time and desire to learn and train in a traditional MA and have to desire to learn the culture and background, than traditional hapkido or any MA is good for you. If you're interested in learning self defense and not interested in background and culture, any self defense program, like combat hapkido, vee arnis, etc, that doesn't teach forms and traditional weapons will do. Anyone in the NYC/Bronx area is most than welcome to stop and check us out. www.ichfny.com.
    No the difference is you need to stop talking for all of Combat Hapkido. Your school may be legit but, it doesn't mean the other 50 or so schools are up to your standards.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    9
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL Besides the crappy web design (I think that's sour grapes talking) we do practice at half to full speed. And you're right. I don't speak for other schools, just mine.

  5. #5
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,445
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaa View Post
    LOL Besides the crappy web design (I think that's sour grapes talking) we do practice at half to full speed. And you're right. I don't speak for other schools, just mine.
    It is a terrible website. Sour Grapes? Hahahaha well I know where this is going to end up.

    The website design is outdated and poor. It says nothing about the school training but, even free web pages look better in 2010.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    9
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    It is a terrible website. Sour Grapes? Hahahaha well I know where this is going to end up.

    The website design is outdated and poor. It says nothing about the school training but, even free web pages look better in 2010.
    LOL You're right. I'll be sure to mention that to the webmaster. But if you're looking to fight in print, find another person to fight with. I respect the fact that we all have our opinion.

  7. #7
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,445
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaa View Post
    LOL You're right. I'll be sure to mention that to the webmaster. But if you're looking to fight in print, find another person to fight with.
    Actually, that is what you were looking for in your post. Sour grapes? Crappy website?

    You took an innocuous thread quite personally.




    I respect the fact that we all have our opinion.
    Then you wouldn't be hedging right now.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    9
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You mistake hedging for something else. Maybe fear or insecurity. And you're right about the "sour grapes" comment, my bad. But I rather take this time to exchange knowledge and ideals on how we can be better martial artists.

  9. #9
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,445
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaa View Post
    You mistake hedging for something else. Maybe fear or insecurity.
    Oh so you are insecure? Okay, that would explain why you felt upset because, someone was talking about hapkido vs Combat Hapkido.


    And you're right about the "sour grapes" comment, my bad. But I rather take this time to exchange knowledge and ideals on how we can be better martial artists.
    Then it would be much better to discuss than do the "come visit my school" after putting down Hapkido.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    9
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never put down hapkido. My first training was traditional hapkido, and I have a black belt in it. I prefer combat hapkido because it simulate street self defense more than trad. hapkido, IMO. You are more than welcome to visit my dojang and see for yourself. As for previous comments, I'll leave them in the past.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO