Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2010 10:28pm

Style: Fiore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Hugh Knight sucks Thread.

I'm bored and drunk so I'm posting about a figure we all dislike. Saying that Hugh Knight is **** is no great accomplishment. In fact it's stating the obvious. But you know I've always enjoyed stating the obvious. It helps me reaffirm what is true in this chaotic world.

His school's youtube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Schlachtschule

His Blog
    http://talhoffer.blogspot.com/

His school's site
    http://www.schlachtschule.org/

BTW, is it just me or does the man look like he's wearing clown pants in almost everyone of his vids.

Really Hugh Knight makes this poor kid look semi-competent
    This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 639x481 and weights 54KB.

Granted the above teenager does have weight issues but he has **** all on Hugh Knight in that department.

Not even the LARPtastic mediveal garb can his fatty, fat, fat folds of suckitude.

Really people Hugh Knight>>>:phil2:
    http://talhoffer.blogspot.com/2009/0...-freeplay.html

For those unfamiliar with Hugh Knight read the above link and you will see what I mean.

Yes I know even our precious and beloved WMA has it's dimwits.
    :angry9:

To restate my position, Hugh Knight sucks.

Have a nice weekend

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2010 11:33pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Die Schlachtschule" or "The School of Battle," is a group dedicated to the study and teaching of the martial arts of medieval Europe. We use the surviving medieval fencing manuals, or fechtbücher, to try to learn the ways of combat practiced by medieval knights.

Love the picture of him in the Armor. He looks like he's about to fall over.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2010 12:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tex View Post
    "Die Schlachtschule" or "The School of Battle," is a group dedicated to the study and teaching of the martial arts of medieval Europe. We use the surviving medieval fencing manuals, or fechtbücher, to try to learn the ways of combat practiced by medieval knights.

Love the picture of him in the Armor. He looks like he's about to fall over.

Actually thats fairly common in WMA these days. The phenomenon itself is called Historical European Martial Arts. It's reconstructing dead martial arts from surviving period manuals. There are actually quite a few who have done good work in that department.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/23/2010 3:57am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm bored and drunk so I'm posting about a figure we all dislike.
    I get the "bored and drunk", but what you mean "we", Kimo Sabe? For the record, I don't dislike Hugh Knight. Going by your links etc., he comes across as

* a literate, if unusually pedantic, writer
    * a competent martial artist in terms of demonstrating his techniques

I take issue with "real swordsmen don't do freeplay", but whatever; it takes all kinds.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2010 5:39am

Style: aikido, medieval fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello
    Well, I would join Ddlr here.
    Sure there is bit and pieces that I think will not works when you fence with earnest but again those are vids to demonstrate technique and us, me first are sometime guilty of ignoring the context for the technical content.
    In anycase, even if you do not like that has the virtue of being there and do what the text says. So at the very least it is something that can be use to start with, even if it is to discard an idea in a certain context.
    Besides on a more personal note, any decent wrestler can probably rip my wrestling vid apart, so well that made me more understanding. :-)

Like Ddlr is disagree with real fencer don’t spare, sparing for is the crucible that makes of break the metal of your theory.
    A few month ago I spared with Alexander Zhelezniak from ACT and that did change my understanding of Zufechten, not really what I do or how I do it but definitely why I do it and how I go about doing it.

phil

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2010 12:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, I thought that opening post actually turned out better then I thought. I was afraid that when I was sober again that it would be almost impossible to understand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2010 12:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    I get the "bored and drunk", but what you mean "we", Kimo Sabe? For the record, I don't dislike Hugh Knight. Going by your links etc., he comes across as

* a literate, if unusually pedantic, writer
    * a competent martial artist in terms of demonstrating his techniques

I take issue with "real swordsmen don't do freeplay", but whatever; it takes all kinds.
    Kimo sabe? lol

Wow, been a long time since anyone called me that.

Okay, my bad. That was presumptious on my part.

In retrospect maybe I should've posted this in YMAS.

I really shouldn't post drunk.

If you excuse me I gotta go finish puking out what put in I last last night.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/23/2010 12:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're excused.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2010 2:21pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don’t like Hugh Knight, simply because I feel that Hugh Knight is a morbidly obese man who isn’t physically fit enough to spar well & rather than looking upon that as a personal shortcoming & trying to address it, he presents a distorted view of the historical art in order to excuse & justify his lack of athleticism.

Edit: if Bullshido is about anything, it’s about the martial arts community policing itself. If we, as Bullshido members & martial artists see someone or something of dubious quality we should speak up. It is not necessary for others to agree. In fact it is best when we do not agree as the lively debate often more clearly illuminates an issue than any one persons perspective could.

Some people think Hugh Knight is great. Some think he has some things wrong, but can still offer something of value. Other people think he’s completely disgraceful. Let’s hear from all of them. What are the standards to which we hold historical European martial artists & in particular those who claim to teach the historical European martial arts?
    Last edited by SBG-ape; 1/23/2010 2:36pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2010 2:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SBG-ape View Post
    I don’t like Hugh Knight, simply because I feel that Hugh Knight is a morbidly obese man who isn’t physically fit enough to spar well & rather than looking upon that as a personal shortcoming & trying to address it, he presents a distorted view of the historical art in order to excuse & justify his lack of athleticism.
    That is my opinion as well. I don't expect people to be all that athletic but some basic fitness in my opinion is a must for someone who seeks to teach martial arts of any kind. Now I can't say as to how well he presents the German school as I know **** all about it.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast