Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2010 3:03pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

IJF wants "IJF Certified!" gi usage only after 2011.

There has been a lot of discussion about the validity of the new judo rules that states than leg grabs are verboten unless renraku- or kaeshi-waza. I am surprised that there wasn't more discussion on something that may affect us as consumers.

After January 1st 2011, the IJF intends to ban gi (and obi) from IJF events that have not passed an examination by IJF contracted laboratories, at the gi makers' expense. Any gi that doesn't have an "IJF Approved!" tag will be forbidden. Guess the sokuteiki wasn't enough.

This entails spending north of $1000 per testing, $1 for each little logo (of which there are 3 per gi : jacket, obi, pants, and a minimum order requirement of 3,000) and $50,000 for the privilege of sewing the logos on. The document also contains measure on fabric weave and lapels, for example.

Granted, most of us do not participate in IJF events, and as mere mortals this rule will largely not affect us. However this does mean that there will be a glass roof over the head of smaller gi manufacturers that will not be able to supply gi to elite athletes unless they pay the required fees. For those who can afford the IJF fees, the gi prices will probably rise. This means bad news for the customers, elite or not.

What's more, there are also the underlying moral choices behind such a decision.

The IJF seeks to unfairly restrain elite competition among gi makers to those few who are already prosperous enough to pay the fees to the IJF. In the interest of the free market, this is unacceptable. Judoka and non-judoka, what do you think? I think :

Screw the IJF.

EDIT : the official regulations can be found here : http://judoforum.com/index.php?showtopic=42871
    Last edited by kikoolol; 1/11/2010 3:12pm at .

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    1/11/2010 6:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they just wanted to have stricter regulation on what standard of gi is allowed at high level competition I could understand it, I might not like it, but I could understand it.

Now if they are putting in these QC tests, then it makes sense for the gi-makers to pay for it themselves. What doesn't make sense is for them to have to pay $3 per gi to the IJF for the badges. That just stinks of money spinning on the IJF's part.

Also, if IJF approved gis are required at IJF level competition, hoe long will it be before the local orgs start making that a requirement for their own competitions? (Genuine question.)

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    1/11/2010 6:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it ironic that Maeda did more to promote Judo than the IJF ever have...

This isn't helping.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2010 10:05pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    If they just wanted to have stricter regulation on what standard of gi is allowed at high level competition I could understand it, I might not like it, but I could understand it.

Now if they are putting in these QC tests, then it makes sense for the gi-makers to pay for it themselves. What doesn't make sense is for them to have to pay $3 per gi to the IJF for the badges. That just stinks of money spinning on the IJF's part.

Also, if IJF approved gis are required at IJF level competition, hoe long will it be before the local orgs start making that a requirement for their own competitions? (Genuine question.)
    Hopefully never.

Also as a gi maker said to me, since when is IJF into the gi manufacturing business? Why charge for the tags when the gi makers are more than able to create them themselves?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/11/2010 10:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get paying for testing, I even get the tag thing (quick way to verify that a gi's certified), but how the Hell do they justify the $50k fee?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 12:43am

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing but a money grabber.

**** this game, I might have to switch to BJJ.

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 12:55am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post
    Hopefully never.
    Agreed. I don't see myself competing internationally, so I pray such regulation doesn't reach the local level. Both my Gi's barely meet size regulation, I'd hate to have to buy new "IJF Approved" gis. That's money.

Plus with the fees that gi makers would have to pay, that cost could be passed on to the consumers. These things aren't cheap to begin with. Adding costs could possibly take Judo's status down to just being "widely available."
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 10:08am

Style: Christopher Hitchens-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    they'll be a trickle down effect though. just like how people like to purchase official NBA ball, MLB glove or hats and jerseys and such, there'll be people wanting to own official IJF gear. but i do think that it will affect the major manufacturers that much. it just means more sales to them. an athlete that didn't need to purchase that new gi, or several gis i guess, is forced to purchase them, which would have happened. and there really aren't that many judogi manufacturers to begin with. it's a fairly small market. i do feel really bad for the upstarts. this own't affect mizuno or adidas much, but fushida might feel this big time. i do think this is a good thing, but standardization should have happened like 40 years ago.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 11:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenikim View Post
    an athlete that didn't need to purchase that new gi, or several gis i guess, is forced to purchase them
    Maybe.Or maybe that athlete, being unable to afford a closet full of new "proper" gi, is forced to quit. That's bad not only for manufacturers but for the sport as well.

[/quote] standardization should have happened like 40 years ago.[/quote]

Standardization does solve certain problems, but if standardization is the goal, all one needs is the standards. Tacking on exorbitant fees under the guise of cosistency is just legal extortion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 11:59am

Style: Christopher Hitchens-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    Maybe.Or maybe that athlete, being unable to afford a closet full of new "proper" gi, is forced to quit. That's bad not only for manufacturers but for the sport as well.
    standardization should have happened like 40 years ago.[/quote]

Standardization does solve certain problems, but if standardization is the goal, all one needs is the standards. Tacking on exorbitant fees under the guise of cosistency is just legal extortion.[/quote]

i don't know, man,,, if you are good enough to fight IJF events, it means you put in time, effort, your blood into it. you won't quit over having to purchase 2 pairs of gis. you'll find a way to get them. i don't see IJF getting rich off of this though. in the end, i think the parties that benefit the most are the major labels. and the ijf did have standards, in terms of thickness, looseness, and length and such. there is a tool designed to test this at tournaments. the onus was on the athlete to adhere to the standard. now that onus is spread over the athlete AND the manufacturer.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast