Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2009 11:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Karate's Back!?

I was wondering if Machida has inspired anyone in the mma community to actually start taking up karate. I also don't know why there is suddenly so much attention on karate. He is not the first mma fighter who has utilized Karate in their striking. Bas Rutten, GSP, Chuck Liddell, Davis Loiseau (not karate really but close enough lol jk) and apparently now Vitor Belfort all credit various forms of karate as influencing their striking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2009 11:43pm

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not to mention the countless other fighters in the 70's who helped shape kickboxing.

ahem but anyway I dont really see this topic going anywhere so Ill just wait and see

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 12:08am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The old "machida has brought karate back" thread is back. I can hardly contain my unenthusiasm.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 12:10am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use it alot when I do mma sparring.

I was training it before I knew machida, and started trying to use it before he was known this much.
    However I can say this, when I used it before people would lecture me about how useless it is and how wrong i am using it.
    But now, people try to understand more about what I am trying to do and I don't feel so embarassed using it when some other thai boxing guy watching me.(Which means I am a non self confident loser who needed an icon to use something, to believe himself. s.m.d.)

oh forgot to say, you suck because this is a very old topic.

Thank you

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 12:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks d-bag. I wasn't saying he brought back karate. I was just curious if anyone actually started because of him.

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 12:43am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not the "d-bag" that started the thread.

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 1:16am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would seriously doubt it would have a big impact, it wouldn't take a lot of people to quickly figure out that touch sparring doesn't equal MMA sparring.

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 1:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus View Post
    I use it alot when I do mma sparring.

I was training it before I knew machida, and started trying to use it before he was known this much.
    However I can say this, when I used it before people would lecture me about how useless it is and how wrong i am using it.
    But now, people try to understand more about what I am trying to do and I don't feel so embarassed using it when some other thai boxing guy watching me.(Which means I am a non self confident loser who needed an icon to use something, to believe himself. s.m.d.)
    Don't feel bad. In his early MMA career Machida himself said he was afraid to use his Karate, because it was generally assumed to be useless in fight-sports, and basically tried to win via sub grappling.

The Bonner fight, because he was told the guy studied BJJ under I-forget-which-Gracie, was the first fight he was counseled to keep it standing (and consequently busted his ass). Later when he fought Rich Franklin, people told him to take it to the ground, that his standup would be no match for Franklin, but he had enough confidence by that point to try his hand in a standup war (and we know how that one turned out).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 1:37am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post
    I would seriously doubt it would have a big impact, it wouldn't take a lot of people to quickly figure out that touch sparring doesn't equal MMA sparring.
    But what if some people would realize that touch sparring is bs and start to spar more legit.

If you search a little on youtube you can find some matches (old though) that people fight a lot harder than now.

And also even the tournaments stay this way it is still possible if people spar it right it may be useful.After all even bjj tournaments have rules.You don't strike at all right? But you can use a lot of techniques that let you success in tournaments which if you use in a real fight you will be pounded like sht.

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 5:34am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus View Post
    But what if some people would realize that touch sparring is bs and start to spar more legit.

If you search a little on youtube you can find some matches (old though) that people fight a lot harder than now.

And also even the tournaments stay this way it is still possible if people spar it right it may be useful.After all even bjj tournaments have rules.You don't strike at all right? But you can use a lot of techniques that let you success in tournaments which if you use in a real fight you will be pounded like sht.
    It would be like a BJJ tournament where you weren't allowed to manipulate the other persons arms / body / legs.

Look you can learn things from touch sparring and it IS exhausting, but it's also fairly crap.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast