225139 Bullies, 3939 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 7:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Miguel Torres Interview - Laying Down the Law About Pay and Brock Lesnar

Hilarious interview, I hope you all enjoy and discuss:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cag...urn=mma,178557

(Although a lot in the interview could be YMAS material, he makes some valid points about a lot of things.)

Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo Sports

Miguel Torres, WEC bantamweight champion and good luck charm for the Chicago White Sox, took a break from training for his August 9 fight with Brian Bowles to answer Cagewriter's questions.

Cagewriter: You've recently spoken about your pay in comparison to UFC fighters' pay. What do you think you should be paid?

Miguel Torres: I think I should be paid fair. I think I deserve what heavyweights are getting. I put in the same training time, if not more. I believe I possess more skill, because I don't have the size to overcompensate. I can't Brock Lesnar somebody and lay on them, and punch them with my right hand the whole time and knock them out that way. I have to devise another strategy to win a fight. I think that's more entertaining because you see more skill involved, more agility.

What do you say to the guy working as a garbage man who says, "Hey, we all want more money!"

I could kick their asses. (Laughs) I'm a fighter, but people don't look at me as a fighter. I'm just a piece of entertainment for them. They just want to see me put on a show. If I went out there and fought the way that Anderson fought, and I was really safe, and I just hit and moved, and didn't try to finish fights, which I have reason to do now that I'm on top, I wouldn't be as popular as I am. When I fight, it's guaranteed that it's going to be a good fight.

What about the argument that you're not as big of a draw?

I'm not as big of a draw as Brock Lesnar, but I have more personality than him; I'm more interesting than he is. I've heard Brock Lesnar. I've interviewed him. It's like talking to the Hulk. "So Brock, what did you think about the fight?" "Brock smash Mir, Brock eat baby, I'm gonna drink a Coors, and maybe get on my wife." That's Brock's interview! He's getting paid millions of dollars for that. That's their heavyweight champion, getting paid all this money, from out of nowhere Minnesota! I know he's a draw because he came from the WWE, and he's bringing a different fanbase in, but we're a draw, we just have no exposure.

In boxing, the lightweight fighters are more popular fighters because they have all this exposure. Mayweather's got all the exposure in the world, and everyone thinks he's a god because of all the exposure he's gotten. If it was not for that 24/7 show, no one would give a (expletive) about Mayweather, he'd be some other punk, wannabe rapper. But with the exposure he's given, they market him the right way, and his brand recognition is through the roof because of how tey market him. If I had that same marketing, I'd be "Money Miguel." It would be me, instead of "Money Mayweather."

It'll get better, but it will never get where it should be. I know fighters that get paid tons of money, and I'm not going to say they suck, but they don't have more heart, more skill or more dedication than I have. It's not fair. But I've accepted it already. I'm not going to let it get me down.

Would you walk away from the WEC because of money?

I don't think I'd walk away from it, because of the simple fact that they have the best fighters in the world. I wouldn't want to go somewhere where there are lesser fighters and I'm getting paid more money but I'm not getting the right competition that I need. I'm in this for not just the money, but for the competition. The money is not there, but I know I'm ushering in a new era of MMA. I know that I'm going to be making it better for the guys after me. Hopefully, they'll remember me when they're rich and famous.

Would you be satisfied with bigger fight night bonuses?

Even a bonus structure wouldn't make me happy, because you're not guaranteed a bonus. The WEC does take care of me on the side, and in a lot of different ways, but I think it should be stated in my contract what I deserve. If you're an exciting fighter, we're going to make you happy. I should be guaranteed you're going to get whatever because you're part of our family. Because you fight for us. I know it can't be like that for all fighters, but I think for a select group of fighters, Urijah Faber, Mike Brown, guys that are on top and are big draws, they should be taken care of. They're promising that it's going to happen, and I have faith that it will, but I'm not going to be surprised if it doesn't.

Do you think you'd be a draw on a pay-per-view card?

I think I'd be a draw, it just depends on how they market it. I mean, I could put her (a woman in the gym) on a pay-per-view to fight Cyborg, and if nobody knows anything about her, no one is going to care. But if I did a whole 24/7 kind of show, or about him (another person in the gym), on how he's going to fight Fedor, everyone's going to watch it, because they make it interesting. It's all on how you market your fighters.

Everyone hates Mayweather, because of how they portrayed him on 24/7. He's the cockiest, ghettoest dude you can look at. And he's so cocky, so arrogant, everyone wants to see him lose. The other guy looks like a hero. The other guy could be nothing, but Mayweather looks so cocky, so arrogant, you want to see him lose, and you will watch for that very reason. If they market their fighters in a similar fashion, they could make guys into superstars like that.

It's funny that you bring up Mayweather. Did you --

I would love to fight Mayweather, just because of the simple fact that I think he's a cocky asshole.

He thinks that MMA was invented by white people because they couldn't win in boxing any more.

Well, I'm not a white person, and I will smash his ass. I don't care. His style of boxing is all built on getting people in the clinch. He'll hit them, and then he'll get in the clinch with them. Then the referee breaks them, and he'll hit them and grab them again. I think it's a great strategy. It's not clean boxing, but it's smart boxing. He's going to hit somebody and grab them in MMA, and he'll be done for. They'll take him down. That'll be all. I'll be on top of the list to fight him.

Some sponsors have recently been kept out of the UFC. Has that affected you at all?

My sponsors haven't been kept out, because when my contract was renegotiated, my sponsors were a big part of that. They're not going to implement that in the WEC. They wanted to, but they won't because that would violate my contract, and that would give me reason to be able to leave. I got lucky. I have a great manager, and he stipulated that my sponsors were going to be allowed in, no matter what. He either had foresight this was going to happen one day, or he was just on top of his stuff.

If my sponsorship would have been affected, than I would for sure leave, because they're messing with my money. What I'm missing from my purses, I'm making up in my sponsorships. It's still affecting me, because they're paying to be in the UFC, so it's affecting my payment schedules, and the way they compensate me.

The last time we talked, you said a Miguel Torres doll was on the way.

It's coming out in October. It has a mullet. The muscles are a little bit too big, but that's the smallest they could make them without making the doll look weird. They're going to send me a box for all the kids in the gym. It's going to be weird to see all the kids playing with the little dolls of me. My daughter will have five of them. They're going to beat up all of her other toys.

Stay tuned for part II of Miguel Torres' interview, coming this Monday.

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 8:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Miguel Torres dolls, I want one.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 9:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Miguel seems like a pretty cool guy. Did anyone see him on Sports Soup last night? He was pretty funny.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 10:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Miguel Torres just lost a bit of respect from me for the Brock Lesnar crap.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 11:27pm

Style: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    Miguel Torres just lost a bit of respect from me for the Brock Lesnar crap.
    He gained respect from me.

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 11:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickeroon1987 View Post
    He gained respect from me.
    I was going to say the same thing.

I love the fact that he spoke his mind and didn't tow the corporate line the way most others do. He spoke his heart and I appreciate that.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 11:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What? Repeating the same "Oh he just laid on top of him" bullshit? How many fucking videos have been made explaining the laundry list of things Brock was doing very right and Frank was doing very wrong?

Also:

“I worked for the circus,” Lesnar said of the WWE. “For me, [the back-and-forth insults] is a chance for me to let some personality out because I don’t do it a lot. I’m a private guy, but if I want to add a little salt and pepper on every once in awhile, that’s fine with me.”

The Brock Lesnar you see in interviews is making the UFC a metric fuckton of money. I don't begrudge that man making his paper for one second, and as I've said before, believing anything a professional wrestler says into a microphone is one of the major warning signs of moderate mental retardation.

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 11:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    What? Repeating the same "Oh he just laid on top of him" bullshit? How many fucking videos have been made explaining the laundry list of things Brock was doing very right and Frank was doing very wrong?

Also:

I worked for the circus, Lesnar said of the WWE. For me, [the back-and-forth insults] is a chance for me to let some personality out because I dont do it a lot. Im a private guy, but if I want to add a little salt and pepper on every once in awhile, thats fine with me.

The Brock Lesnar you see in interviews is making the UFC a metric fuckton of money. I don't begrudge that man making his paper for one second, and as I've said before, believing anything a professional wrestler says into a microphone is one of the major warning signs of moderate mental retardation.
    The problems he has with Brock, a lot of people have, it's opinion. I agree with some but not all he said on that front. For the most part, it was funny reading.

I really enjoyed his issues with pay and regarding the marketing of fighters. I enjoyed how he noted that, if it wasn't for his manager putting it in his contract, his sponsors could be banned from the WEC as well. It shows just how bad things are getting with the UFC and sponsors when you have fighters having to put it in their contact that their sponsors can't be banned from sponsoring them. It also reflects heavily on the MMA pay scale as it really shows that sponsorship money really makes a difference for a lot of these fighters. Especially the ones in the WEC where the top tier talent make about the same as some of the mid-to-low level guys.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 11:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's "toe the line" not "tow the line." FWIW.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2009 4:27am

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure Torres was referring to Lesnar's fight with Herring (the one that got him the title shot), and not the fight that he actually finished by TKO.

He does make a good point about not getting much exposure though. He's a great fighter and should get more recognition.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast