Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2009 12:22am

Style: ex-wrestling, boxing newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Me sparring(boxing)

Well, it's been a while since I really posted so I thought I'd stick these up. It's a few clips of me sparring last Friday night that my roommate shot with his phone(so sorry about the quality).

I'm the less aggressive fighter in the blue. I've been boxing for about 3 1/2 months. I weigh 190 and the opponent weighed 220, but he's been at it for a month less than me.

YouTube - Boxing1

YouTube - boxing2

YouTube - boxing3

We did these in front of about thirty people. Every month the gym has friends and family come out to watch people spar. He didn't capture the whole thing but it was supposed to go for 2x2 minute rounds, but the second round got stopped short because I caught him with a really hard right cross.

He did pretty well considering he's 59, and I'm 20!
    He definitely had some of that "old man strength".

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/13/2009 12:28am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well you were both pretty awful obviously since youve only trained a few months, but one thing you want to get a handle on is that you should NEVER just let someone walk into your zone. shelling up and waiting for the punch is not a viable defense to someone moving in on you. break that habit yo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2009 9:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    well you were both pretty awful obviously since youve only trained a few months, but one thing you want to get a handle on is that you should NEVER just let someone walk into your zone. shelling up and waiting for the punch is not a viable defense to someone moving in on you. break that habit yo.
    Thank you.

My coach mentioned that I needed to throw a hell of a lot more jabs and had me throw some between the rounds. I just don't quite have a feel for it yet. I do feel that I've progressed a lot since I started. Last week I sparred with a new guy and was able to slip most of his punches and land a lot of my own, and because of this I felt really comfortable. The more comfortable I am the better my movement gets. Although, as good as it felt being able to assert my dominance on a newer guy, whenever I spar with the guys who have been there for a year or longer I get destroyed.

I need to work on everything, but especially my jab. About half the time or more I throw lazy retarded jabs. Seeing some of the ones I threw in the videos made me feel like I looked like a quadraplegic trying to grab a butterfly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 10:22pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you stand still when you throw punches, try to step forward or sideways afterwards.

more sideways head movement, bob and weave using your legs, you still seem to be bending at the waist.

dont head hunt, liver and solar exist for a reason :D

punches in bunches, you sometimes seem like trying to falcon punch, that only works when punching your GF in the stomach for not aborting the babby, in boxing you need to catch your opponent off guard then combo and overwhelm, aim to throw at least 3 punches, and mix body to head shots.

step into your punches, dont stand in place and slug, weave->step->weave->step->punch->step->punch->step->_____->step...etc etc

jab more, jab offensively, jab defensively, jab while stepping in, jab while bobbing, jab while stepping backwards, jab while side stepping, jab after jabbing. JAB MOAR.

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 10:26pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honest_truth View Post
    step into your punches, dont stand in place and slug, weave->step->weave->step->punch->step->punch->step->_____->step...etc etc

jab more, jab offensively, jab defensively, jab while stepping in, jab while bobbing, jab while stepping backwards, jab while side stepping, jab after jabbing. JAB MOAR.
    QFT. Although standing in place and slugging can be fun sometimes. Also, the old man is hardcore leading with his chin whenever he throws the right.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 12:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is what my coach has been telling me. That and to not let them land 5 or 6 punches before I decide to fight back.

Can you expand on what you said about stepping when I punch? Like step with my jab only? I feel awkward trying to step with other punches, like I'm doing a tkd punch or something.

I really need to jab more and develop a better jab.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2009 1:04pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    okay, do you know that bob&weave exercise you do, where there is a rope on top of your shoulder and then you B&W forward, then backwards ?

similar footwork, just like you step->B&W left->step->B&W right, now as you B&W to the right throw a jab, B&W left throw a cross.

continue doing a 1-2-1-2, then mix it up with 1-2-hook.

and while keeping proper form try to amp up the speed, only to the point you can still do it right without getting sloppy (else you lose the whole point of the exercise)

practice this religiously, if you get good at B&W while moving your head properly, keeping a tight defense and being able to punch while moving forward and backwards, people will avoid sparring you from fear.

because now your opponent has to deal with your punches and aggression because you are moving forward, while having a hard time punching back as your head is never still. Do something similar to the Dempsey Roll

YouTube - Dempsey roll of Jack Dempsey!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 12:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. Going to work with the rope for a couple weeks and see how much I improve.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 6:09am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i thihk youll find THIS is how you perform the dempsey roll

YouTube - hajime no ippo - Dempsey Roll

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 12:27pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealknife View Post
    This is what my coach has been telling me. That and to not let them land 5 or 6 punches before I decide to fight back.

Can you expand on what you said about stepping when I punch? Like step with my jab only? I feel awkward trying to step with other punches, like I'm doing a tkd punch or something.

I really need to jab more and develop a better jab.
    When you throw any punch or kick, you should be well footed and not be moving. Only exceptions would be hooks and roundhouse kicks you throw while you slip and move laterally. Even that, though, technically you're planted by the time you throw the punch.

But right before and after you throw a strike, you should be moving. Thats what he means. Practice this: Jab and step forward. Do this across the room. Then Jab and step backwards. Jab and step sideways. Complete the jab before you move.
    Now, try this: step forward and then jab. Step backward, then jab. move sideways, then jab. Finish moving and get in your proper fighting stance before you start on the jab.
    eventually it should all move fast and look like you're punching on the move. But you're not.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast