Flyweight

Posted On:
    5/29/2009 11:03am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Survival Knife

I'm taking a wilderness survival course with some friends next month and we're required to bring a non-folding hunting or survival knife. In my research I came across this site which has a ton of info:

http://www.survivaltopics.com/surviv...urvival-knife/

I'm leaning towards getting a SOG Seal Pup Knife because it seems to be durable and a reasonable size & price. Does anyone have experience with this one or any other recommendations they would make? I'm not planning on stabbing anybody, this is purely for an outdoor utility tool.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Posted On:
    5/29/2009 5:54pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am no knife expert, or even a collector, but the first word that came to mind while reading your post was "kukri."

Here is an example of one I might pick up some day. Take a good look around that site; they have a wide variety of sizes, styles, and price points covered.

Come to think of it, I haven't heard any bad words about KA-BAR's version.

Posted On:
    5/29/2009 6:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    I am no knife expert, or even a collector, but the first word that came to mind while reading your post was "kukri."
    Oh, come on!

Kukris are awesome, but he'll still need a regular knife for tasks less ardous than sacrificing water buffalo.

I think these are cool:
    http://www.coldsteel.com/bushmanseries.html

You can make it into a spear!
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2009 7:07pm

Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    an M10 would be good, maybe from ontario knife co.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    5/29/2009 8:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are approximately 35,742 knives out there that fulfill your requirements, which will be something that holds an edge, is sharpenable in the field, has a blade of a reasonable length (3"-7" would be typical, with a lot of very good 4-5" knives out there) and is comfortable to use. Keep in mind that if you're going to be doing things like constructing shelters and traps, you'll use this knife more than you typically use any knife in civilized society, so it needs to be comfortable. Hot spots and sharp corners will hurt and annoy you sooner than you think.

Don't forget the sheath, either. "Survival knife" mostly means a good knife that you will pack with you rather than taking it out of the drawer when you need it, so check out the sheath and make sure it's going to comfortable and non-irritating to wear it for hours. It should also be secure.

A Kukri would be very useful if you're going to be chopping wood or cutting large brush, but it's not the ideal knife if you're going to dress a squirrel or make fire tinder.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    5/29/2009 9:03pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2009 11:29pm

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cold Steel Bushman Series:

Posted On:
    5/31/2009 4:07pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would pick up a run of the mill full sized classic Ka-Bar, but with synthetic grip as opposed to leather wrapped grips. Sythetic grips are better against water. Ka-Bar makes a great all around survival knife. It can be used for cutting, prying, chopping firewood, etc. all decently and isn't too much of a loadout if you're going to be out hiking a lot.

Sometimes classic is the best way to go.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Posted On:
    5/31/2009 10:46pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    I would pick up a run of the mill full sized classic Ka-Bar, but with synthetic grip as opposed to leather wrapped grips. Sythetic grips are better against water. Ka-Bar makes a great all around survival knife. It can be used for cutting, prying, chopping firewood, etc. all decently and isn't too much of a loadout if you're going to be out hiking a lot.

Sometimes classic is the best way to go.
    Would that be this? This is the version of same with a partially serrated edge (which might be more useful when camping, I have no idea).

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    5/31/2009 10:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Money View Post
    I'm taking a wilderness survival course with some friends next month and we're required to bring a non-folding hunting or survival knife. In my research I came across this site which has a ton of info:

http://www.survivaltopics.com/surviv...urvival-knife/

I'm leaning towards getting a SOG Seal Pup Knife because it seems to be durable and a reasonable size & price. Does anyone have experience with this one or any other recommendations they would make? I'm not planning on stabbing anybody, this is purely for an outdoor utility tool.
    Give us a max price you're willing to pay, it'll help. Some of us are pretty well versed in blades.
    Do you want it to have a hollow handle, like the traditional idea of a "survival" knife? If so, then Chris Reeve is the only way to go, if you want it to last.
    If not, something from Ontario/Randall could work very well.
    Let us know what you expect it to do. Will you expect it to chop wood or are you happy with batoning?
    Personally, I'm much more keen on having a smaller knife for small jobs, & a small hatchet or axe (Wetterlings & the like) for actually cutting wood or limbing.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast