Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2009 5:51pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pose Running

Does anyone here practice Pose running?

I'd like to enter my first ever 5k race in a month's time and thought I'd start practicing Pose.

How long did it take you to pick it up? Days, weeks, months?

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    5/25/2009 1:33am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why don't you start off by explaining what it is and providing a few relevant links?
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2009 8:58am

Style: Hapkido/BJJ(newb)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not sure what i think about pose running. It seems to be used mostly by people who didn't run seriously before (in HS or College). Those people do improve though, so i can't really bad mouth it.

I am a big fan of Vigil's work and Coe's work (distance coaches), personally. How much running have you done/do now? The less running you have done/are able to do, the more basics you need to do (e.g. base-work).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2009 9:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic View Post
    Why don't you start off by explaining what it is and providing a few relevant links?
    Because if you don't already know what it is, you can't answer my question can you?

Meson
    How much running have you done/do now? The less running you have done/are able to do, the more basics you need to do (e.g. base-work).
    I'm a total beginner, and have done practically no running until I tried the walk a bit, run a bit program last summer. I used to play soccer in college, so I ran alot, but it wasn't running as a sport. After that ended my principal cardio has been biking.

Middle age is now upon me, and I've started running short distances as a part of Crossfit (which is where I heard out about Pose running, as it's all the rage).

I can run a mile in about 8 minutes, and the furthest I can run at the moment without falling apart or hurting myself is about 3k.

I guess that means I need to do some basics. What is "base-work" and where can I find out about it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2009 9:03pm

Style: SAMBO, jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonDingDong View Post
    Because if you don't already know what it is, you can't answer my question can you?

I'm a total beginner, and have done practically no running until I tried the walk a bit, run a bit program last summer. I used to play soccer in college, so I ran alot, but it wasn't running as a sport. After that ended my principal cardio has been biking.

Middle age is now upon me, and I've started running short distances as a part of Crossfit (which is where I heard out about Pose running, as it's all the rage).

I can run a mile in about 8 minutes, and the furthest I can run at the moment without falling apart or hurting myself is about 3k.

I guess that means I need to do some basics. What is "base-work" and where can I find out about it?
    An 8min. mile may be too fast if you are such a novice. As in, if your crashing at ~1.9mi, you may need to slow down a bit. Frankly, a 5K is not a long run in any sense and just running every other day (w/ or w/o POSE) should get you to 3.1mi in no time; at least, that's what worked for me.

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 7:21am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fret not, Good Sir. Middle Age, eh? I'm over 50 but I'm not saying how far...More seriously, alternating a Walk, Trot, Sprint regime is fine especially over a measured distance, say, lamp posts. If you have a nearby Running track so much the better. This will be more true when you move into the walking phase so avoid the catcalls of the ignorant know-it-all pedestrian.

Take a day off between runs, so you're working, say, 3 times a week. Then think about running up stairs when you're moving about instead of taking the Lift/Escalator. This will pay dividends in improving your overall conditioning and giving your Heart a short, quick work out.

Don't expect too much too soon. Think less about how fast your cover a Mile and think more about how soon your Heart Rate returns to normal; this is a better test of your fitness. After all, Running is a heavy Cardio workout...

Good Luck.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 7:37am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pose running is for people who have a need for paying extra for a brand name instead of buying the generic equivalent. It's a perfectly usable product, but part of why you'd use it is because ... well ... you're a poser.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 7:42am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now that I've actually looked it up, I don't really see the point for GPP purposes of the technique. I suppose if one were to argue the method was less injurious than normal running then yeah, go for it, but if you think your fitness isn't up to scratch why are you making a fitness-developing exercise easier and thus less effective? To my mind, it's like wearing those super-duper-aerodynamic clothes when riding for fitness. Someone serious about their fitness would be wearing bloody parachute pants, if not a real parachute; if you want to develop the puff to run further making running easier won't necessarily do this.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 8:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic View Post
    Now that I've actually looked it up, I don't really see the point for GPP purposes of the technique. I suppose if one were to argue the method was less injurious than normal running then yeah, go for it, but if you think your fitness isn't up to scratch why are you making a fitness-developing exercise easier and thus less effective? To my mind, it's like wearing those super-duper-aerodynamic clothes when riding for fitness. Someone serious about their fitness would be wearing bloody parachute pants, if not a real parachute; if you want to develop the puff to run further making running easier won't necessarily do this.
    I think you're getting "easier" confused with "more efficient" aren't you?

I haven't tested the claims of Pose running so can't defend it or otherwise, but I don't see how cultivating a (supposedly) more efficient stride would lessen its cardiovascular impact to the degree that it dramatically reduced health benefits.

When I find a way to run a marathon without breaking a sweat, I'll let you know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2009 11:08am

Style: Hapkido/BJJ(newb)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The cliff's notes is that I would work up to running about 3-6 miles roughly x6 a day. Go slow and relaxed. With cross-fit you are used to being in the anaerobic region all the time. For a 5k, you will need a good aerobic base. Going all out while building a base will actually be counterproductive.

Definitely look up Seb Coe or Joe Vigil's book at a library. Since you are coaching yourself, you should know why you are doing the workouts. I am also partial to Issurin's book on block periodization, but that isn't really specific to what you are doing.

If you have a heart rate monitor, you can get more fancy about this. I would start doing 20-60 mins walks/slow running at a heart rate of 120-130 bpm. Do this 6 days a week. After it gets easier (you are going much faster while your heart rate doesn't exceed 130 bpm), then slowly add in higher intensity running (x1 week to x4 week)keep your base-work below 140-165 bpm (this number, of course, is a very crude estimate). The point of the 120-130 work is to work on cardiac output. This work is really low intensity, but it is necessary. If you are used to cross-fit, you probably have a good glycolitic system (e.g. aerobic), so i would guess that your underlying aerobic base needs a lot of work (given your mile-times).

If you really want to work on running form, find a HS or masters track or cross country coach. Either would probably love to help you. Following form drills without a coach is a waste of time, IMO (and that of my two sisters who run collegiate XC). Actually, you might consider getting a coach regardless if you are serious about this.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast