Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2009 3:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Sombo/Judo/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Transitioning from one art to another?

Was wondering if anyone has any experience in transitioning from Muay Thai or Full Contact Kickboxing to just straight up Western Boxing. The reason I'm asking is because my knee injury is starting to nag at me a little bit and the last thing I want to do is be out of commission again. The pivoting on the leg and just being on one leg is starting to scare me a bit. Do you all think that the transition would be an easy one?

I don't want to leave muay thai, but I don't like the attitudes or environments in most of the schools around here, not to mention that many places want upwards of $190 a month for muay thai along with the signing of a contract. I live in an area heavily populated by the military, so unfortunately everything around here is inflated. I'm thinking about just finding some small boxing club.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2009 9:17pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mine is the opposite.
    I am hoping to take up some MT this summer, and worry about the kicking aspect, i reached brown belt with crappy krotty so i have that crappy point sparring foot slap, and wonder how will i transition into full contact shin kicks. (and tips to make it easier).

I guess your problems will depend on how they taught you punching and defense in MT.
    If it was the two hands up, palm forward stance then expect others to have a field day with jabs. And maybe shuffle/slides in/out, Do you have that MT march habit ?.
    I cant really say.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    3/29/2009 7:03am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just put away what you know and allow yourself to start as a beginner. If you have any skills that transition your coaches will notice and ask what your experience is. You will always have the advantage of already being hit and understanding a sport training environment.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/29/2009 12:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    went from muay thai to boxing last year, its a hole different game i found that MT guys are easier to hit. they tend to block more whereas the boxers tend to move ALOT, resulting in frustration on my part.. you'll already know the punches used though which is an advantage, but i've still found myself clinching thai style instead of the typical underhooks in boxing clinches

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/27/2009 10:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found the transition from boxing to MMA/MT-styled striking was not as foreign and awkward as a lot of people made it out to be. Range had to be tweaked and offensive punching techniques transferred nicely as to be expected, but I was pleasantly surprised with the cross-over of my defensive instincts and spatial awareness. Kicks were new to me, but defending and reacting to STRIKES coming at me was not, and so I seemed to pick up the proper blocking techniques, rhythm and timing without too much trouble. This was definitely a lot to do with composure. I was used to fast-paced strikes flying at my head and body, and found I was cool under fire in MT just as learned to be in boxing, and catching and countering kicks seemed to come quickly.

Keep an open mind, of course, and absorb the fundamentals of what is taught in your new pursuit so that later on you can build upon those and mesh them together with your foundation art. It is going to be a lot of fun!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2009 11:56pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most Muay Thai fighters in Thailand have done a shitload of straight Boxing matches as well. Most MT gyms will also teach just Boxing. I doubt you'd have a problem. I'm surprised you asked, actually.

Posted On:
    8/24/2009 10:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when i first started training in muay thai, my kru had me doing strictly boxing for about a month before he started implementing kicks. a few years later when i started doing boxing tournaments in the army the main challenge i had was having to retrain myself into not throwing knees and elbows in the clinch.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 7:22am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I think it would partially depend on how traditional your MT school is.

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 7:46am

Style: BJJ, MT, TKD, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have made the transition. If you have the requisite skill it is pretty easy.

I went from MT to boxing. Won my first 5 amateur bouts and then got board with it because no challenge.

Currrently training for UFC.

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 7:57am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Consider yourself lucky ESPM. My transition was from WT to Muay Thai. That was... interesting.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast