223966 Bullies, 4077 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 49
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Spectral is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16

    Posted On:
    4/24/2009 7:27am


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Is it a bad idea to pull a knife on somebody that's threatening you with a knife?

    Is it? Lets say you have a knife in your pocket, and they don't have theirs pressed against your(or anybody elses) neck, they're about 5-7 feet away. In what circumstances would you do or not do it? (if they want your wallet, etc.)
    Last edited by Spectral; 4/24/2009 7:30am at .
  2. adouglasmhor is offline
    adouglasmhor's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Glasgow, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,496

    Posted On:
    4/24/2009 8:31am


     Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are wearing a crocodile skin wiastcoat and a hat with crocs teeth round it and have a much bigger knife it will work.
  3. sochin101 is offline
    sochin101's Avatar

    Graviora Manent

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lincolnshire, England
    Posts
    6,886

    Posted On:
    4/24/2009 9:14am

    Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the accepted (though probably apocryphal) version is that both of you end up in the hospital, morgue, jail etc...

    In this age of Asymmetrical Warfare, you should pull a gun on someone that's threatening you with a knife.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

    Gandhi

  4. theotherserge is offline
    theotherserge's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North of San Francisco
    Posts
    4,458

    Posted On:
    4/24/2009 9:32am

    Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate hypotheticals like this.

    Depending on your level of preparation: just pull the pin on your explosive vest or bite down on your explosive tooth & exhale...
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)
  5. jnp is offline
    jnp's Avatar

    Titanium laced beauty

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,230

    Posted On:
    4/24/2009 9:42am

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Is it? Lets say you have a knife in your pocket, and they don't have theirs pressed against your(or anybody elses) neck, they're about 5-7 feet away. In what circumstances would you do or not do it? (if they want your wallet, etc.)
    I see you've edited this a bit to make it appear a bit less stupid. Too bad it's still stupid.

    If someone pulls a knife on you, your first response should be to run away. If this is not possible, unless you already have extensive knife training, you should find a bigger weapon to keep him out of knife range.

    If you engage someone with a knife, most likely you will get cut. Even FMA experts with years of practical weapons training acknowledge this.

    Serge is right, hypothetical scenarios are a waste of time.
  6. DCS is online now
    DCS's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,036

    Posted On:
    4/24/2009 9:59am

    Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge View Post
    I hate hypotheticals like this.

    Depending on your level of preparation: just pull the pin on your explosive vest or bite down on your explosive tooth & exhale...
    Or say "may your knife chip and shatter" and unleash the Kralizec on the muggler.
  7. Planktime is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    402

    Posted On:
    4/24/2009 10:16am


     Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I see you've edited this a bit to make it appear a bit less stupid. Too bad it's still stupid.

    If someone pulls a knife on you, your first response should be to run away. If this is not possible, unless you already have extensive knife training, you should find a bigger weapon to keep him out of knife range.

    If you engage someone with a knife, most likely you will get cut. Even FMA experts with years of practical weapons training acknowledge this.

    Serge is right, hypothetical scenarios are a waste of time.
    The above makes me laugh because it is all true.

    This is a stupid situation however having done a very small amount of Knife work in Arnis. You will be cut. Accept it and move on. A better answer is that if it is a robbery and they are not an immediate threat, give them your wallet. Don't be stupid which maybe difficult based on your post.

    Second if you live in a state with CCW rights and you are concernd get a CCW buy a pistol, train how to use it weekly, and carry a gun.

    Always remember....

    Gun trumps knife.

    PT
  8. theotherserge is offline
    theotherserge's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North of San Francisco
    Posts
    4,458

    Posted On:
    4/24/2009 10:26am

    Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really, if you are sufficiently tranied in knifework, you might have the answer. If you aren't then don't play stupid with your life. Either way, there is a "cost" to your actions.

    Col. Grossman should be required reading for all n00bs.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)
  9. Torakaka is offline
    Torakaka's Avatar

    Do you eat breakfast?

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,658

    Posted On:
    4/24/2009 11:16am

    supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well if a pair of hoods ask you to pay a toll for fixing a hole in your shoe on "their" rock and ask you for your briefcase while pulling out a mean looking butterfly knife, you should agree to do so. Then, start hitting them with a bat and when they run away shout "YOU FORGOT THE BRIEFCASE!". Then go on a crazy vigilante rampage.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
  10. Matt Phillips is offline
    Matt Phillips's Avatar

    NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    9,650

    Posted On:
    4/24/2009 12:09pm

    supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    Well if a pair of hoods ask you to pay a toll for fixing a hole in your shoe on "their" rock and ask you for your briefcase while pulling out a mean looking butterfly knife, you should agree to do so. Then, start hitting them with a bat and when they run away shout "YOU FORGOT THE BRIEFCASE!". Then go on a crazy vigilante rampage.
    Best - Movie - Eva!
    pushups!

    Edit: I wonder if its too late for breakfast in California?
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie


    KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

    In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.