Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2009 2:49am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Advanced kicking question.

I doing Muay Thai. I am pretty tall and quite flexible, got long arms and legs. Seems I am a natural kicker. Muay Thai is pretty basic on kicking, but, and I wanted to learn some more complex kicks; started looking at Tae Kwon Do.

Problem is, there is no good Tae Kwon Do gyms in Phuket. So I ordered the DVD "Revolution of Kicking" (you'll find it on YouTube). I know you can't learn to fight from a DVD; the DVD don't teach you that. It just teaches you the single kick, applying it is up to you (I actually think the DVD teaches it better than any person could as everything is pre thought through and well explained). So I practice my applications in Muay Thai sparring and it isn't that hard.

Anyway, I got no teacher to ask this (none of my MMA or Muay Thai teachers are complex kickers), so gotta resort to the net like an old fashioned nerd...

I can do all front kicks and axe kicks, round house kicks, front spinning kicks and side kicks, so on, I can do them all on both legs. They are pretty basic. I have learned how to do the two kicks, back spinning kick and turning back kick, on my left leg and I can do them really well and with a fuckload of power.

So, my problem is that my right leg (I am left leg dominant) is semi retarded, and I can't do any style of back kicks on them with ease. What I want to know, is are advanced level kickers (TKD tournament fighters or such) actually using both legs with these kicks? I mean, for me, the deal seems, I can spend a fuckload of time and energy on my right leg and bring it up to speed, but will I ever trust it enough to use it in competition or a real fight?

There is no way I'd throw my right leg as a back kick right now, but I want to know if abandoning it is a mistake.

Like, when I get to a higher level, are people going to think I am a retard because I only bothered to learn it on one leg, or is this a common thing with everyone?

Do professional fighters really learn every kick on both legs and actually use them in real fights and tournaments?

Please don't answer this unless you know how to do the kicks in question and can actually do them. I don't need some theoratical bullshit about how it is good to be balanced on both sides when you don't know **** - I am after practical and realistic training.
    Last edited by Last_Samurai; 3/18/2009 2:53am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2009 4:59am

Style: BJJ/Muay Thai (MMA)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those kicks suck, stick with Muay Thai or you'll end up a worse fighter than you already are.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    3/18/2009 6:29am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you Orthodox or Southpaw?

Posted On:
    3/18/2009 8:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are in Thailand and you are trying to study TKD? Get on your knees and choke yourself, not with your hand idiot use my hand!

Seriously, look up some of the TKD vs MT videos and then see if you still want to learn "advanced kicks".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2009 8:59am

Style: MMA, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Last_Samurai View Post
    What I want to know, is are advanced level kickers (TKD tournament fighters or such) actually using both legs with these kicks? I mean, for me, the deal seems, I can spend a fuckload of time and energy on my right leg and bring it up to speed, but will I ever trust it enough to use it in competition or a real fight?
    I haven't been to a TKD school that hasn't trained kicks on both sides, as a result I think you'll find any advanced level TKD kicker will be happy throwing any kick using either leg. They'll still have a preferred side to kick on. Personally I've found that I prefer using my left leg for some types of kicks and my right for others, but can happily execute the kick with either.
    Moving into MMA, building up ability in both legs has helped (in class sparring) as I'm happy to switch between orthodox or southpaw stances depending on who I'm training with. I have no idea if that will be any help to you in Muay Thai fight though.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    3/18/2009 9:05am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Leave the guy alone. He already stated that his goal is to learn some more "complex" kicks. Whether this is just for shits and giggles, he needs a challenge, or actually wants to try it out in the ring, don't you think he deserves a real answer.

Also, it is far from clear that a cross-trained Thaiboxer will have the same weaknesses that a straight TKD fighter will.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    3/18/2009 9:14am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    You are in Thailand and you are trying to study TKD? Get on your knees and choke yourself, not with your hand idiot use my hand!

Seriously, look up some of the TKD vs MT videos and then see if you still want to learn "advanced kicks".
    It is not really that silly, TKD is huge over there and many Muay Thai fighters will use TKD kicks in the right circumstances. It is nice having a few tricks up your sleeve to add to the muay thai arsenal when fighting other MT guys.

OP: You might be overthinking it a bit, if you are in sparring and start to see opportunities for a kick off the other leg which you can't do yet it might be time to learn that kick. If you haven't taken any fights yet i'd concentrate on optimizing speed and power of a few kicks and learning the timing and how to set them up. Better to do one technique perfectly than twenty poorly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2009 9:30am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD is pretty huge in Thailand. I would be shocked if there wasn't a gym in Phuket. There's a plethora in Chiang Mai. Maybe an email to one of the BKK gyms to see if they have an affiliate in Phuket? http://www.honourtkd.com/ is one I know of that is run by a Canadian.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/18/2009 9:42am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by codo3500 View Post
    Those kicks suck, stick with Muay Thai or you'll end up a worse fighter than you already are.

No Trolling in the technique forums. Thank you.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    3/18/2009 10:21am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Last_Samurai View Post
    So, my problem is that my right leg (I am left leg dominant) is semi retarded, and I can't do any style of back kicks on them with ease. What I want to know, is are advanced level kickers (TKD tournament fighters or such) actually using both legs with these kicks? I mean, for me, the deal seems, I can spend a fuckload of time and energy on my right leg and bring it up to speed, but will I ever trust it enough to use it in competition or a real fight?
    Everyone has a 'special side.' Learn to use both.

The main reason is that traditional TKD kicks that have you land in a switched stance (meaning your leg that is regularly in the back is now in front) will force you to follow-up with your 'other' leg.

Think of it like this (you have your left leg forward):

- you throw a lead-leg (sliding) roundhouse kick with your left leg and your left leg lands in front, then you follow-up with a back-kick with your right leg. So your follow-up is with your right leg.

now you reset and have your left leg forward again.

- you throw a rear-leg round-house kick with your right leg, your right leg lands in front, and you follow-up with a left leg back-kick. So your follow-up is now with your left leg.

If you limit yourself to only know a back-kick or wheel kick with one leg, then you can only effectively follow-up when your 'good leg' is back which limits your options.

It may feel completely awkward at first, but your 'special side' will come around if you keep training it.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast