Sponsored Links Spacer Image

game dog

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 4:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Nose broken - how long until it's stable again?

Almost four weeks ago, I got my nose broken by a stray elbow after a failed tomoe nage. Apparently it wasn't that bad - septum cracked in one place and shifted slightly out of alignment. The doc said it would heal in two weeks or so. I had it reset, wore a cast for a week, took another week off from training, and started grappling again.

The nose feels fine in everyday life, I can breathe just fine, but when I take slight hits to the nose in training, it's still uncomfortable, and when I rub it, I still feel occasional clicking noises. So the question is, are those clicks normal? Is the nose actually healing, or is it still in a state of perpetual broken-ness and won't heal until I take more time off? How long should I wait until I resume boxing? Should I stop being a *****?

Your comments, stories and suggestions, please...
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 5:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Long Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i still have the clicking since may of last year. my nose was never reset tho :(

no idea about the other stuff. just wanted to subscribe. good luck with the healing

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 5:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had my nose broken a few years ago and I had a plastic brace on it for a month. Even if it's 'stabilized' it may not be back to 100% just yet. Additionally, refracturing a still knitting septum can cause a higher degree of calcification resulting in 'camel nose'. I would give it two months after the initial break to start boxing again. But I'm no doctor, just a fellow deviated septum bro.
    Last edited by Cefter51; 3/02/2009 5:52pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 6:19pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh...broken nose.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 6:27pm

Style: systema/RMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    don't bother worrying much about it setting, clicking, or healing. If you keep doing what you are doing you are bound to break it again anyway. Eventually it will end up like mine, where it no longer really breaks but just shifts around, and it will either click or it won't depending on the last shot you took.

This is just a side benefit of good hard work. It gives the face character and chicks dig it.

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 7:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mine's been broken three times, reset each time. First time, mid-seventies, last time, not too long ago in Japan. Septum's now off to the right, breathing's a bit more laboured than before. It clicks in a pretty pronounced way. You'll get used to it.

The only danger of things not getting reset properly is the off-chance that the out-of-place tissue might interfere with circulation. A buddy of mine got dropped via another guy sprawling on top of him and belly-barging his face into the tatami. His first broken nose. He didn't have it reset but kept feeling numb on one side of his face, long after the "raccoon-mask" faded.

Finally, the numbness turned into incredible pain on that whole side of his face, along with some pretty funky discolouration and odour. His subsequent trip to the hospital revealed necrotic tissue due to circulation stoppage where some of the nose structure had blocked off some arteries. He needed to get general anaesthetic, then the discoloured tissue was cut out. Some skin-grafts and a ton of antibiotics followed.

Last I saw him in Osaka, the mess had healed over, but he looked like a burn-victim. You never know with a fracture of any kind, so--just in case--get things checked out when they occur.

game dog

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 1:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the input. My conclusion is that I won't worry about the clicking in itself, but will stay out of boxing for a few more weeks...
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    3/08/2009 9:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember my grandpa had a really fucked up nose, from pre-helmet foot ball (what a retarded sport) and according to him it doesn't matter much, ya it clicks but he always looked so bad ass with his crooked scared nose. Even dogs were afraid of that, so in the name of looking crazy don't seek medical attention!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2009 12:16am

Style: BJJ, MT, JJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cefter51 View Post
    I had my nose broken a few years ago and I had a plastic brace on it for a month. Even if it's 'stabilized' it may not be back to 100% just yet. Additionally, refracturing a still knitting septum can cause a higher degree of calcification resulting in 'camel nose'.
    i first broke my nose by running into a wall while playing lasertag lmao
    i couldnt go more than a few months without re-breaking it. i dont think it ever fully healed and i doubt it will. if i push the front cartilage part too far to the sides or up or down it makes this cracking noise. it was never set or stabilized.
    i have that 'camel nose' thing lol
    doesnt really matter to me. noses are dumb. i think michael jackson shares my feelings on this subject

Quote Originally Posted by Beatdown Richie View Post
    Thanks for the input. My conclusion is that I won't worry about the clicking in itself, but will stay out of boxing for a few more weeks...
    yeah, its been 4 years since i first broke it (and about a year and a half since i last broke it). it still clicks. SO... i doubt itll stop any time soon
    Last edited by DarkAardvark; 3/09/2009 12:19am at .