Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 3:11am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Aikido/Bullshido in Dresden Files

Ok, this is a humorous thread, but I want to point out that Jim Butcher, as much as I like his books, seems to be an Aikido nutrider.

The Dresden Files is a pretty good sci-fi/fantasy series. Not great by any means, but it's reasonably entertaining. It's a guilty pleasure.

Anyways, Karren Murphy, a cop, fucking wristlocks people left and right, and is somehow able to disable 6'6 dudes with ease. There are quite a few times throughout the series when she literally lays out Dresden (who is 6'6 or so) with a punch to the jaw, stomach, or some wristlocky Aikidoish move. Keep in mind that she is described constantly as '5 foot nothing, 100 nothing'. I have to suspend my disbelief because no matter how good a '5 foot nothing, 100 nothing lbs' chick is, the chance in real life to lay out a 6'6 dude is astronomical. He would have to be the most untrained, lazy, out of shape, uncoordinated person ever to get the **** beat out of him (all of the above Dresden isn't), barring a nut shot.

She also consistently beats the **** out of trained thugs with wristlocks and other Aikido moves.

As much as I like Jim for bringing us Dresden Files and Codex Alera, he really needs to stop drinking the Aikido kool aide. The vibe I get from him is that he is a classic example of the small, pseudo intellectual dude who buys into the whole eastern mysticism bullshit to make himself feel better about being small and that technique will always trump meathead strength, etc. It's painfully obvious in his writing.

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 3:13am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And also, Harry Dresden can cast magic spells.

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 3:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMikeATT
    Ok, this is a humorous thread, but I want to point out that Jim Butcher, as much as I like his books, seems to be an Aikido nutrider.

The Dresden Files is a pretty good sci-fi/fantasy series. Not great by any means, but it's reasonably entertaining. It's a guilty pleasure.

Anyways, Karren Murphy, a cop, fucking wristlocks people left and right, and is somehow able to disable 6'6 dudes with ease. There are quite a few times throughout the series when she literally lays out Dresden (who is 6'6 or so) with a punch to the jaw, stomach, or some wristlocky Aikidoish move. Keep in mind that she is described constantly as '5 foot nothing, 100 nothing'. I have to suspend my disbelief because no matter how good a '5 foot nothing, 100 nothing lbs' chick is, the chance in real life to lay out a 6'6 dude is astronomical. He would have to be the most untrained, lazy, out of shape, uncoordinated person ever to get the **** beat out of him (all of the above Dresden isn't), barring a nut shot.

She also consistently beats the **** out of trained thugs with wristlocks and other Aikido moves.

As much as I like Jim for bringing us Dresden Files and Codex Alera, he really needs to stop drinking the Aikido kool aide. The vibe I get from him is that he is a classic example of the small, pseudo intellectual dude who buys into the whole eastern mysticism bullshit to make himself feel better about being small and that technique will always trump meathead strength, etc. It's painfully obvious in his writing.

Sorry, im confused... is that about a mcdojo? is it about a fictional series? is it about a LARPer? is it about....

Okay, can you explain in two sentences or less WTF this thread is about? :spanky:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 3:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    And also, Harry Dresden can cast magic spells.
    That too. But he literally bends over like a bitch and gets fucked up so many times throughout the series by Murphy that it's ridiculous. Murhpy is talked up as some fucking super!Aikido!cop that it depresses me. God I just want Dresden to fucking bitch slap her sometimes for being an uppity little 'I do Aikido, FEAR ME!!!111' bitch.

Don't get me wrong, I love DF, but I always chuckle with amusement when Murphy wrist tosses 230 lb thugs all over the place.
    Last edited by FLMikeATT; 5/10/2008 3:18am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 3:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelpong2
    Sorry, im confused... is that about a mcdojo? is it about a fictional series? is it about a LARPer? is it about....

Okay, can you explain in two sentences or less WTF this thread is about? :spanky:
    Yeah, it has to do with martial arts in a sci-fi fiction series. I don't expect anyone who hasn't read Dresden Files to understand what I'm talking about, but I just needed to get this off my chest.

Bashing Aikido never gets old.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 3:18am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMikeATT

You know that TV isn't about real life, right?

You've heard of suspension of disbelief, right?

This is a stupid thread, right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 3:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    You know that TV isn't about real life, right?

You've heard of suspension of disbelief, right?

This is a stupid thread, right?
    Yes, I know it's a stupid thread. I'm venting.

And it's a book series. It was made into a tv show (a really shitty one at that), but I just wanted to see who else spotted the massive Aikido nutriding in Dresden Files.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 3:25am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, as long as...

Carry on.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 3:34am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man I feel you about having to vent over Aikido. I got told yesterday to my face that bjj wouldn't work on the street and that High and mighty aikido could take on multiple opponents.:angryfire

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 3:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Th3 D3adly
    Man I feel you about having to vent over Aikido. I got told yesterday to my face that bjj wouldn't work on the street and that High and mighty aikido could take on multiple opponents.:angryfire
    These people are so deep into their own delusions that it's just about impossible to drag them back from the abyss. The only way they will see the light is if they have a real altercation where they get mugged and/or have their face stomped on.

I knew some kids in high school that were huge DBZ/chi larpers, and I would laugh at them and their 'training'. I tried talking to them a few times to try to convince them that that stuff is fictional and bullshit designed to rope gullible, white, asian/japanophile teenagers out of their money, but they wouldn't listen to me and kept talking about how their ki/chi blasts were teh d3adly.
Page 1 of 17 1 234511 ... LastLast