Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anger growing...

Hi all,

Glad to have found this splendid place on the www!

Had been looking pretty long for a community that doesn't take MA so deadly serious! :)

Now, the problem I think I am facing indeed seems serious to me:

:icon_sad: I have the feeling that my MA-teacher has a worse opinion about my skills
    than he should have.

I am currently working my way through the lower ranks of Wing Tsun,
    that I have chosen as my system after training in other martial arts for about a decade.

Now, I tend to be very reserved about my skills, and listen to people's instructions without whippersnapping.
    Problem is now, my trainer seems to misunderstand my attitude,
    and I have the feeling that he interpretes my reservation as being dull or somewhat like that.

Now, my question is: What would you suggest me to do?
    - Should I just demonstrate my skills by ko'ing some of the black shirts, like my friends have repeatedly advised me to do? - Or should I simply endure until I have the rank that I apparently need so he can respect me?

[Quitting is no option. I definitely want to finish what I started.]

Hope you can give me some advise! :)

Yours,

Rafael

PS: Besides that, my MA school is just great, best school I ever trained at.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonist; 12/22/2007 8:33am at .

BJJbot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So This is Sparta!, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Style
    creonte on hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be more aggressive/assertive?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Style
    Rehab
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whoa there. Quitting is your first and best option where WingTsun is concerned. It is a steaming pile of useless, LARPtastic fucktardery of the highest order, the Scientology of the Martial Arts if you will. Quit now and don't look back.
    Do you do any sparring in the class? If so you will find that some decent KB skills will own everyone in the class, including the "black shirts". Give it a try.

Welcome to Bullshido!

Style
    BJJ, Ju-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by This is Sparta!
    Quitting is no option. I definitely want to finish what I started.
    Quitting is the only option.

You are training in a LARP (Live Action Role Playing) that only works within its own game. It's a lot like dungeons and dragons, except that D&D acknowledges that it is not real.

Nothing you are learning will ever help you against a real fighter.

Quit now, do not fall for the "finish what I started" trap, that is crap. Go and do something worthwhile.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :) Thank you for the many replies!

Now, I am pretty happy with the system right now, but that's not really the question. ;)
    Suffice to say that my town has nearly nothing to offer when it comes to martial arts,
    and my current trainer is one of the few that have a good reputation.

But please tell me how you handle it in your gyms:
    Do you aggressively demand tougher sparring partners/exercises when you get bored, even at the risk of alienating people? (I received privatr training most of the time, so I really never had to until now. Training with groups bigger than five or six people is fairly new to me.)

- Sorry if this sounds a bit weird, but in the long time I practice martial arts, I never treated the training process itself as a competition. Was this my personal mistake,
    or would you say that it is rather normal?

Thanks again,

Rafael

Style
    Dancing the Spears
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you aggressively demand tougher sparring partners/exercises when you get bored, even at the risk of alienating people?
    This hasnt been an issue for me lately but back when I felt I wanted to be taken more seriously I would just tool the people put in front of me. I often did this in assholeish ways and I feel a little guilty about it but it did work. If you're really that much better you should be able to establish yourself as having respectable abilities by just beating the people up that get put in front of you, no reason to feel ashamed of doing it. Just dont do it while dancing a jig or letting your arms hang completely limp and people should just accept that you kicked their ass and it's part of training.

There's always going to be people that get pissed off whenever someone is better then they are..but if that's a case then it's a good reason to focus most of your tooling on them.

All that being with the caveat that you really should just quit wing chun.
    Last edited by Anna Kovacs; 12/23/2007 5:33am at .

Style
    San Da, Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was sparring with this guy who had been training a lil longer than I had, the instructer was basically giving him practise for a comp. I told him I wanted to compete. So we sparred and I threw the guy like 4/5 times in a row with the exact same throw (this is san da mind you). Instructer then corners him on some combo's, we face off again and he does much better. That guy got put in the comp and not me... :< . My point being some instructers are just dicks, good at intructing and teaching but dicks.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    This hasnt been an issue for me lately but back when I felt I wanted to be taken more seriously I would just tool the people put in front of me. I often did this in assholeish ways and I feel a little guilty about it but it did work. If you're really that much better you should be able to establish yourself as having respectable abilities by just beating the people up that get put in front of you, no reason to feel ashamed of doing it.
    Thank you. :) You seem to perfectly understand my dilemma. I hate beating people up, especially n00bs, but I realize that my sifu probably won't let me advance quickly unless I really excel. I just was not sure if it was just my wounded proud made me want to do it, or if this was an acceptable habit.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    All that being with the caveat that you really should just quit wing chun.
    Then, which other martial art would you recommend me? :)
    I think I have a good background already, though I am of course very far from being a pro.
    When my old trainer moved out of town, I checked several schools in my area,
    of which only a few seemed to fit for me. (In terms of training hours, distance, costs, and so on...)
    I realize WT is not the best system, but in my current situation, it seemed the most appropriate choice.
    I had also thought of KFM or BJJ, but both had no representations in my area.

- I should maybe add that I am from Germany. The MA scene here is somewhat underdeveloped compared to the United States. - People mostly train the Japanes MAs, and most trainers are not professional instructors, but rather just black belts that do it as a hobby. At least the ones I have come to know were, with a few exceptions, mostly people who had embraced the esoteric side of MAs rather than working on their combat skills. Pragmatic combat systems are just rising, with Keith Kernspecht's WT (which I am not training in) being the flagship at the moment.

(Sorry if that sounds somewhat naive, but from what I understand, the vast majority here is from USA, so I thought I had to clarify. Here in Germany, MAs are far less popular, and the range of offers is noticeably smaller.)

Style
    BJJ, Ju-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you. :) You seem to perfectly understand my dilemma. I hate beating people up, especially n00bs.
    Yeah, we get your dilema, we are telling you that your school sucks, leave it now.

If you dont like beating people up, why do you do Martial Arts?

If you dont want to beat people up, go take dance class or yoga. Maybe Tai Chi.
    but I realize that my sifu probably won't let me advance quickly unless I really excel.
    Wrong the goal of a __ing __un sifu is to ensure that you advance exactly at the rate that will keep you under the illusion that you are learning new things.

The point is - you are being strung along with promises of a reality that doesnt exist.

I'll give you a secret. There are no secrets. The advanced techniques of __ing __un are even less effective then the beginner techniques.

The only part of __ing __un worth learning, you learn in the first 6 months. The rest is horse __it.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Page 1 of 3 123 Last