Octopussy!

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 8:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

To Southpaw or not to Southpaw

Yo, I was wondering why people decide to fight southpaw. Is it just how they feel, or beacause they're left handed?
    I've never done boxing or kickboxing. But I plan on starting after I leave college in a few months. When I'm sparring, I like to switch my **** up, from right hand back to left hand back, out of habit. I'm right handed, but sometimes I feel better with my left hand back. Are there any advantages or disadvantages in electing to be a southpaw once you start boxing?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 8:49pm

Style: Wrestling and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most people aren't used to fighting southpaws due to the predominance of right handers, so that's an advantage right there. Most people do southpaw to either confuse the opponent or because they're left handed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 8:52pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're tall and lanky and very comfortable as a southpaw, do it.

It comes down to personal preference. Whichever stance you start off with in a fight, and what you use more should be your choice. You can always learn the other stance as you get more experience.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 9:06pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a lefty, and when I started Thai Boxing, I used to constantly switch stances out of confusion. Eventually I formed the regular stance as being the dominant one. Sometimes that disappoints me...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 9:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As the authority on the subject...

I'm technically left-handed. I pitched in high school and college and throw left-handed. Although I was a good pitcher, my hitting was my strong point. I hit right-handed.

I played line-backer and offensive guard in high school and college. I also kicked, both punted and kick-offs/field goals. I kick w/ my right foot.

I can shoot decent w/ both hands (basketball), but I definitely rely on my left as my dominant shooting hand...though I prefer lay-ups w/ my right.

I shoot hand guns w/ my left hand (dominant), but rifles w/ my right as the trigger. Yeah...that sucks a bit.

My right cross feels as good as my left cross. My hooks are about the same. My right leg kicks harder...but my left leg jams better.

So. What the hell am I saying?

Do what feels best, and allows you the biggest advantage (based on your situation and strengths).

p.s. Your thread title is a boderline challenge to me...and I challenge you to gon sau!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 9:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm southpaw, naturally left handed. Speaking from strictly a boxing insight. There are several advantages and disadvantages to standing southpaw vs a right hander. Most of the advantages shared exactly by your opponent as long as they have any experience with it, and if not, they can likely catch on quickly by your example.

#2 punches (straight mainhand) are used about as much as a jab, and can usually be shot quickly between their gloves how things are lined up. They also have this same shot, and often times you get hit straight on the nose/mouth/forehead/belly button with by this punch. Being a southpaw you'd have a little more practice at taking advantage of this punch.

#4 punch (mainhand upper cut) As your body and opponents' naturally bend forward, this punch becomes a good friend.

Those are the main advantages I have found.

The main disadvantage to standing southpaw is this puts your liver (which is on the right side of your body) toward the front, meaning, not only can a hook, but now a straight shot has semi clear access to it. Anyone who has been hit here knows it is very different than you're typical body shot, and no-matter you're heart, you will atleast take a knee if it lands right.

Jab's get in the way of each others. Making it more tiring as both hands come out, someones gets forced down putting more strain on the shoulder.

I don't usually get my front foot tangled with theirs, sometimes we step on each others, and rarely if my foot is on the inside, ill stumble as I attempt to circle toward the right, tripping over their leg.

Advantages to being left handed and learning how to fight as a orthodox:
    You're jab and lead hook will be better than most, you will have more power in both hands than most.

In all honesty, if it weren't far too late for me to switch now, I would've chose to box in the orthodox stance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 9:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw
    As the authority on the subject...

I'm technically left-handed. I pitched in high school and college and throw left-handed. Although I was a good pitcher, my hitting was my strong point. I hit right-handed.

I played line-backer and offensive guard in high school and college. I also kicked, both punted and kick-offs/field goals. I kick w/ my right foot.

I can shoot decent w/ both hands (basketball), but I definitely rely on my left as my dominant shooting hand...though I prefer lay-ups w/ my right.

I shoot hand guns w/ my left hand (dominant), but rifles w/ my right as the trigger. Yeah...that sucks a bit.

My right cross feels as good as my left cross. My hooks are about the same. My right leg kicks harder...but my left leg jams better.

So. What the hell am I saying?

Do what feels best, and allows you the biggest advantage (based on your situation and strengths).

p.s. Your thread title is a boderline challenge to me...and I challenge you to gon sau!
    Lol, someone else who is confused like me in a right hander's world.

I golf right handed

shoot pool right handed (learning to do leftly also)

shoot a gun righty

kick/throw/hit left handed

box lefty

and uhh.. spank righty.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 12:54am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When working on sparring specifically for pankration, I would sometimes assume a right lead so that I could throw lead hooks to the left deltoid (when the head is taken away as a target, you end up with some weird stuff).
    Coming from an escrima background, you can probably see the utility of a right lead, and the potential uses of triangular footwork, requiring a certain ambidexterity of the body.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 9:44am

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I spar in Southpaw and I am right handed. It has more to do with injury though. I injured my right leg (tore some time of connective tissue from the bone) and while my leg was regaining strength and use (over a 1 year period) it was better to spar Southpaw for me. (TKD sparring).

I now spar (kickboxing ruleset) once a week and I can't break myself from the Southpaw stance. As a right-hander, my right jab is stronger than my left and my left hand can throw stronger punches now that it is my rear hand. My left leg has become stronger than my right leg (used to be the other way around), so now I can throw stronger back leg round kicks with the back leg to minimize my weaker right leg. Works out nice for me.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 9:49am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I shoot any firearm with both hands. Rifles are an exception, I shoot left handed because of poor sight in my right eye.

I can switch back and forth in a fight, and I have equal power in both hands.

I can hit either side with a bat,tennis racket, etc.

I do throw like a girl with the left hand, only because I never trained it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast