New York, NY - Oishi Judo Club
Shiro Oishi, a Shichidan who received his black belt from the Kodokan in the late 1960s, runs a great Judo club with a relaxed atmosphere. He does this while still managing to retain a modicum of formality. Overall, the instruction is technically oriented without intruding on the sheer 'fun' factor.
- friendly, relaxed atmosphere.
- Large variety of students from Olympians to 'soccer moms'.
- Safety is constantly stressed.
- Excellent Ne Waza (for Judo).
- Individual class sizes range from 10 to 30 students.
- Relatively expensive (but this is NYC, after all).
- Current facility on the small side for larger classes.
NOTE: Check out the 'Blue Judogi' page on Shiro's website to get a feel for his sense of humor.
Please also note the ratings system is not indicative of my opinion of this club. This is a great club for anyone who wishes to explore Judo. In my opinion, the club deserves higher marks. However, due to the nature of Judo, it cannot receive them under this system.