ok i know this has been asked ALOT on this forum. i'm a complete noob when it comes to grappling.
but i have both (BJJ & judo) in my area. but i have a dilemma, i don't know which one to choose.
this is the teacher http://www.bjj.org/a/people/hosford-matt.html
- the BJJ school is alot closer (which is important for me)
- the BJJ instructor is a purple belt, i have no idea what that really means. would that rank make him qualified to teach?
this is the teacher http://www.ttjcusa.com/eun.html
- the school is alot further away. the guy has like 10 schools in the area (i don't know if that should send up red flags about the quality of each school or not)
- as you can see from his bio, he's an ex-olympic player & has taught other olympic players. which probably means he will focus more on the sport aspect of judo, as opposed to combat
- it seems his school is more of a baby sitting dojo, then an actual dojo.
so my dilemma is, i don't know wether or not i can trust either school (sport judo OR a purple belt). i have no idea what to look at for grappling schools, to know if they're good or not.
obviously if i'm looking for a more combat focused school, i should go with the BJJ school.
but should i really go to a purple belt teacher, when i can go to a school where the guy has proven his ability to teach? (3 olympic gold medalist students, so he claims). and is probably a higher quality teacher?
some help plz... i'm going to the BJJ school tomorrow, to find out about the fee's and ask questions.
which questions should i ask? aside from if they train gi/no-gi (not sure if that's standard in BJJ)?
thanks in advanced.