I know Jay Foster. He was a judo student of mine back in New Orleans at Tulane University in the late 80s early 90s. That was a long time ago, but I am sure this is the same guy, especially when on his website he describes himself as "5 foot nothing", because he is a really small guy.
I can't vouch for if he is a black belt in Judo or not. I wouldn't be surprised, as he was pretty dedicated and serious as a judoka. I think he emailed me a few years ago and may have mentioned he is a Judo BB now.
I don't think it would be fair for me to discuss his Judo skill level, as I knew him a long time ago. He did win some matches though, as I recall, at local and regional tournaments.
As for his BJJ or MMA training, I can't say. I checked his website, and it looks like a blatantly commercial endeavor (nothing wrong with that if the quality is there).
Thanks for the response. I'm glad to know he has a little background in martial arts. It's too bad his employees find the need to claim he is a BB under the likes of Marcelo Garcia (and as more people have called it's changed to a Gracie, but they don't know which one). My biggest complaint is his blatant disrespect to child competitors and their instructors. He pushes being an anti-bully establishment and does it with the same breath, to adolescents none the less.
I've been chatting briefly with Jay about writing a little something for his blog.
Here's the contact info he gave me:
Foster's Martial Arts
1511 Government Street
Ocean Springs, MS 39564
Telephone: 228-875-KICK (5425)
Email: [email protected]
Also, fwiw, he's an attorney. Does personal injury work. Since we have a friendly relationship, want me to suss him out some more? get more details on his background? Also, I know a BJJ blue or purple belt chick in Mississippi, I could maybe arrange some rolling...
It's easy to be put off by Jay Foster's in your face advertising, but as BKR said, if the instruction is good that's all that really matters. If you check the FB link I posted, it looks like Jay is somehow acquainted with Josh Artigue (aka BS poster "Coach Josh").
Seems like Coach Josh is very well respected in both BJJ and Judo (particularly Judo). Maybe someone should reach out to him to get his thoughts?
Any info is good. All that I looked for in the beginning were his credentials. He has avoided anything resembling that as it comes to BJJ. He has stated that he trained under Rhadi Ferguson, which I do find legitimate, but, don't see his actual rank in Judo either. Just looking for an honest answer and to spread the grappling arts through our small community the correct way. I don't care about the rest. I'm open to anything.
I will keep this short.
1. Jay Foster has been my Judo client and BJJ student since 2005
2. In 2014 Jay will be promoted to 4 Stripe Blue Belt
3. I have been coaching his kids and writing the curriculum for his school since 2006
4. His KIDS WIN ANY AND EVERYTHING IN MISSISSIPPI. And they are National Champions and medalist in Judo. (before he and I met, his kids lost EVERYTHING).
5. He's aggressive, he serious, but he is NOT a liar..
6. HE NEVER SAID THAT HE RECEIVE A BLACK BELT FROM MARCELO AND WHOEVER SAID THAT PROBABLY IS NOT TELLING THE TRUTH.
7. I am good friends with Alan Belcher
8. Jay Foster is a client and a friend.
9. They will have "head-butting" issues in the state of Mississippi, I'm sure because my clients win. ALL THE TIME. Because I don't get paid for them to lose.
10. God Bless America!
Rhadi Ferguson, PhD
4-Time National Judo Champion
BJJ Black Belt (2nd Degree from Ricardo Liborio)
UFC-Fit Magazine's Top 100 Trainers in MMA (2013)
http://www.ScissorSweepSecrets.com (and yes....that's my free eBook)