Got in a fight defending my wife today.
We drive by a scene of some accident with cops everywhere. Driving slow past some police cars. A guy cuts us off while we're in the right hand turn lane. He tuns into the parking lot we were going to turn on. Wife honks the horn, out comes the middle finger [EDIT for clarification: HE was flipping us off]. I look at him and he comes out of the car. I scrambled out of the car and get in between my wife's car and him.
Must have been some sort of low level boxer. He comes at me saying "come on! take a shot." I throw up my guard and he goes into this shoulder roll guard. He is a small bit bigger than me and fatter, and lankier.
I've already turned my fight switch on and I nudge into my range. He reckons me to hit him again and then throws a jab. I duck, jab glances off my forehead (that must have hurt his fist). I can't remember if he followed up with a second jab. He steps back and goes up on a curb, thenI threw a left head kick which landed square. He looked surprised as **** and a bit dazed, and I went in and landed two body blows. I got put in a headlock, which I got out of very easily. At this point I get the feeling that we're just sparring and getting a feel for each other. Either that, or his punches are weak as hell. I sure wasn't going 100% yet. Both flip flops are still on my feet so I start kicking them off.
Anyways, at that point a witness tells us he is going to call the cops and that we should stop. I think for a moment (I 100% believe I was in the right here) and think about for a second (he has backed off about 2-3 feet) and turn away, saying something stupid like "the next time I see you.."
There was no visible damage done to either of us, except my right edge of the lip was slightly cut (I barely feel it).
1. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING GIVING OPPONENT QUARTER IN A STREET FIGHT! I should not risk anything and attack 100% at any chance given, which there were a lot. I was also not going 100%.
2. I fought like I was sparring. I needed to fight like real life. There were no effective self-defense techniques used. Nut kicks, more jabs to the face, takedowns (the headlock was really crappy, I could have very easily grappled with him into knees or a takedown), etc.
3. Leg kicks and body kicks would have quickly diminished his desire to continue fighting. No padding on shins hurt. (HK was landed with the foot)
4. I should not have threatened him with a "next time I see you."
5. He didn't look like the type to be armed, but he could have and the situation could have escalated. Not honking was probably the best course of action.
1. I remained very calm throughout the whole thing. It was really just like sparring. If only I can maintain this composure in a ringfight.
2. No one got hurt over stupid road rage. Cops were not called (wife was about to call them though), nothing happened.
3. My instinctive assessment that my blade (CA legal emerson knife) did not need to come out was correct.
Head kicks can work if you know when to throw them. Though a punch, nut kick, everything else would have worked. Train full contact.