UFC 3: The Lamest UFC Ever
I just finished a marathon of watching early UFCs. In chronological order, I watched UFC 1-5. It strikes me that of any UFC ever, UFC 3 has to be the lamest.
- The circus freak match of a 5'10" 200lbs Kenpo practitioner Keith Hackney against a 6'8" 600lbs Emmanuel Yarborough. Yarborough had zero agility, and Hackney broke his fist against Yarborough's head.
- Kimo Leopoldo entered the ring strapped to a cross with his entourage telling the audience to repent of their sins.
- A clearly mentally unstable Harold Howard who was gung hu over facing Royce Gracie, only to have Gracie throw in the towel right before the match started.
- When it became obvious Gracie wasn't going to continue the tournament, Ken Shamrock decided that he too was going to bow out citing an injury.
- The highlight was Harold Howard missing a scissor-flip kick and landing on his back.
- Steve Jennum entered the final having not fought anyone. Being fresh, he handily defeated Howard who expended all his energy failing at his scissor-flip kick.
- This would mark the only time a ninja would win a UFC title
I can now appreciate how far the sport has evolved -- and their strong efforts towards not repeating the craptitude that was UFC 3. May a debacle of that magnitude never happen again.