Floyd Mayweather Jr. is Officially Off His Rocker
I watched the Floyd Mayweather Jr. / Victor Ortiz press conference today, hoping to get a feel for the upcoming fight. Instead, I witnessed what can only be described as a Mayweather coming completely unhinged.
Here's some highlights:
- In the promo video, Mayweather was called the "biggest star in boxing", and Ortiz was called a "supernova". There was a weird space theme going on with it too. All the stars on the screen were making me dizzy.
- Mayweather almost completely ignored Ortiz, focusing instead on Pacquiao yet again, denying that he ever called Pacquiao a cheater. Instead he said, "There’s cheating in sports, period."
- Apologized for being late because, "I had to take care of my kids."
- Got angry at the media for portraying him negatively, saying that his children can now read stories on the Internet. He then accused media of "making up stories".
- Compared himself to OJ Simpson and Chris Brown in regards to the ongoing domestic violence allegations.
- Lamented that he couldn't call himself "Pretty Boy Floyd" anymore now that he's over 30-years-old.
- Seemed to be on the edge of tears.
Mayweather just didn't seem like his regular self. It looks to me that all the stress of his personal life spilled onto the stage -- I'm not sure he has it in him to continue his career.