233254 Bullies, 3666 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Conversation Between foxguitar and Shogun Assassin

11 Visitor Messages

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Thanks Jason .
  2. Anytime Fox, if you happen to go back there let him know that Jason S sent you.
  3. Thats good , its a good sign that students stay that long and obtain such high rank.
    The school looks good. Its definitely more well rounded then my dojo which in all honestly is run by 2 excellent senseis who were world class competitors on the egyptian national team , but on the other token the dojo is predominantly sports karate with emphasis on competition Kumite and Kata . I still compete but im getting to the point I need more Budo

Thanks for the help
  4. Most of the 4th dans have been with him since they were children, Lisa is a full time instructor and David is a Kobudo instructor there. For the most part they do their Dan testing in the presence of Hanshi Nakazato and/or Kyoshi Noujam. Kyoshi Rowley if I remember correctly will only test 1st dan by himself or with other Dans from within the school. This way if they leave and go to another Shorin-Ryu school their papers are all signed by Hanshi and will be reckognized by other schools.
  5. there seems to be alot of 4th dans in there with not much then 10 yrs experience , do they grade quickly .I was watching the BBs they seemed decent but 4th dan is like 20 yrs typically in shotokan . what rank did you get to.. and east coast is steep and its a yr contract do u know what they get at the shorin ryu place /?

barry
  6. The slip in discipline was one of the reasons I left. When I originally went the school was very traditional with a hardline discipline policy. I left due to some personal issue and came back a few years later and things had changed a bit, the whole feeling was different. Just didn't feel like I belonged any longer, almost like I was from a previous generation. He is without a doubt though the best instructor I have ever had. I'm happy with my Gutterfighting now though.
  7. Thanks I checked out that Dojo , The Sensei was very nice seemed very competent ,The only thing I saw I had a slight problem was discipline seemed a bit light, other than that it looked a decent place to train, Being A shotokan stylist I think it would be a easier transition for me to learn Shorin Ryu then them to learn Shotokan but this is just a untried theory
    Did you like the Dojo what didnt you like about it , How was the testing done , Thanks for the input
  8. Hey Fox - Do I have a preference? I can't really say, as far as Shorin-Ryu I have only studied Kobayahi, participated in some Shobayashi seminars with Kyoshi Hayes and done a little Matsubayashi with friends who studied it in the past. The one thing I apprectiate about Matsubayashi is the influence of Choki Motobu. I have a lot of respect for that man and what he did for Okinawa-te. I would study Matsubayashi/Koryu Uchinadi in Middle Island.
  9. Thanks Im thinking of checking it out , I think East Coast Black went back to Shorin Ryu as well the Matsubashi Type
    Thanks for responding , Do you have any preference in either one ?
  10. Fox - It has been a while since I attended the school. When I went it was extremely traditional and focused on the aspects of Shorin-Ryu in general. They do spar a lot. The senior ranks were allowed to go hard if they wanted. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 11
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast