PDA

View Full Version : Lead, Mercury, Arsenic and other contaminents in protein powders

tbubar
6/09/2010 9:01pm,
Consumer Reports July 2010 issue includes a report on contaminants found in many popular protein shakes. This includes arsenic, lead, mercury and cadmium.

The complete article can be found here (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/whats-in-your-protein-drink/index.htm). It includes popular brands like Muscle Milk, GNC and Optimum Nutrition.

It makes me wonder what all the many pounds of GNC protein I drank really did for me...

dwkfym
6/09/2010 10:31pm,
Thanks for the heads up. I had a professor who was in the food industry, and she told us there are these chemicals in basically everything you eat. Even organic ones, and even stuff grown in your garden. She says it is all about the quantity present in the product that makes it good or bad. Keeping that in mind, looks like it is obvious which brands have too much crap in them.

Re4
6/10/2010 1:44am,
good to see met-rx isn't on the list.

SFGOON
6/10/2010 1:59am,
Don't **** your britches over it. It takes about 602,200,000,000,000,000,000 (a millimole) atoms of a thing to make any amount of significance. It's fuckin' everywhere. If they had tested for polonium, uranium, even cesium, they would have found that **** as well.

The food you eat has trace amounts of the entire periodic table in it. Don't worry, just chow down.

Conde Koma
6/10/2010 2:20am,
I don't think it's wise to just ignore something like this. Just because they've found the contaminants in other food products doesn't negate the health risks posed by too much heavy metal consumption.

Byuki
6/10/2010 4:37am,
I can't speek on behalf of SFGOON but I think he means the amonts inside are harmless and you can find very small amounts of this inside any food. Excuse me if I was wrong in my interpretation.

dwkfym
6/10/2010 7:36am,
I realized my message is lost in my first reply. I wouldn't be worried about anything except for the ones that surpass the recommended amounts. SFGOON is right.

tbubar
6/10/2010 9:14am,
Don't **** your britches over it. It takes about 602,200,000,000,000,000,000 (a millimole) atoms of a thing to make any amount of significance. It's fuckin' everywhere. If they had tested for polonium, uranium, even cesium, they would have found that **** as well.

The food you eat has trace amounts of the entire periodic table in it. Don't worry, just chow down.

They didn't report it in atoms, they reported it in micrograms and several of the products exceeded the daily recommended exposure to these toxins.

When I did the velocity diet, I was doing about 24 servings of GNC protein per day which would have been about 45 micrograms of arsenic daily, which is far above the recommended limit of 15 micrograms a day. I did that diet for several weeks. Anyone who's doing a high protein diet should be careful about what product they choose.

TheRuss
6/10/2010 7:46pm,
When I did the velocity diet, I was doing about 24 servings of GNC protein per day

Oh God.

That's what's going to kill you, not the arsenic.

J0nnymac
10/30/2010 5:57pm,
Awesome thread...thanks.

J0nnymac
10/30/2010 5:58pm,
When I did the velocity diet, I was doing about 24 servings of GNC protein per day ...

Wow..... what was your end goal? Did it work for you? How long did you do it for?

tbubar
10/30/2010 6:15pm,
Wow..... what was your end goal? Did it work for you? How long did you do it for?

My goal was to lose a bunch of weight quickly to get back to training. I lost about 10 lbs in 2 weeks, but I gave up early because I was tired of shitting all day. I was also getting headaches and dizzy spells, maybe due to arsenic and lead, maybe due to dehydration from shitting all the time. I don't recommend it, unless you have a really good book you're trying to finish.

J0nnymac
10/31/2010 5:43pm,
Was looking at this and wondering if it was for me. Lead, mercury and arsenic poisoning doesnt sound too pleasant....but on the other hand 10lbs is a lot of weight to lose ;)

Maybe ill join a library..thanks for the reply!

blackartz
4/15/2011 7:55am,
Woaa.. nice heads up info.. i was planning to buy GNC protein shake.. From the site you gave, it is just a few products that reviewed, should i just pass the protein shake to gain muscle or just pick the most good brand people bought and stop being too paranoid?
Thank you so much..

Sorekara
8/12/2011 8:01pm,
UG = Micrograms. It's 1 millionth of a miligram. All too often people see the words Lead, Mercury, etc, etc and panic.

Sorekara
9/11/2011 10:17pm,
The toxins are in UG, which is micrograms or 1millionth of a gram. You'd be surprised what are accepted "safe" levels in almost everything.