PDA

View Full Version : Beat my record: 29 bodyweight dips

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

TheRuss
2/21/2010 2:40pm,
I hate to be "that guy", but you were really rounding there. Like, "this hurts to watch" rounding.

Marrt
2/21/2010 3:27pm,
Wait, what? I only just got something done for the last one. (yes, it's sideways and a bad angle - phone cam etc)
YouTube- BW dips (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xScS0yBIprg)

Emevas
2/21/2010 4:32pm,
I hate to be "that guy", but you were really rounding there. Like, "this hurts to watch" rounding.

Most of it was my upperback, but that said I'm doing it without a belt. If I wore one it wouldn't be an issue.

I don't really care about perfect form with those, just pushing myself

Emevas
2/21/2010 4:34pm,
Wait, what? I only just got something done for the last one. (yes, it's sideways and a bad angle - phone cam etc)
YouTube- BW dips (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xScS0yBIprg)

Congrats dude, good effort.

Marrt
2/21/2010 4:38pm,
Congrats dude, good effort.

thx, I'm not sure I'm even going to try the squats gig. What weight do you have on for that? 135? And do you think the box squat approach (never tried them myself) is tougher than if you'd just tried to rep out 36 reps at that weight?

Emevas
2/21/2010 4:53pm,
The video says I got 245. It's a safety squat bar.

The box allows for consistent depth for every rep. For ease, I couldn't really say, as that's the first time I've ever done that many reps.

Diesel_tke
2/21/2010 8:51pm,
Marrt, nice job! It's good to see people posting in this!

Proof that we aren't fat asses that don't P.T. In my case, fat ass that does P.T.!!!!

Marrt
2/21/2010 9:34pm,
cheers!

As you get older with kids it gets harder tho', that's for sure.

Emevas
2/21/2010 9:38pm,
There's also a lot less ego involved with this compared to the bench press, haha.

honesty
2/22/2010 9:39am,
Some good videos here! Fantastic beard there Diesel ;)

Cayvmann
2/23/2010 1:26pm,
Thanks I really appreciate it! Yeah, I initially was having some pain in my shoulder. So I read that leaning forward more and not going down all the way would help. So I did that, and have been doing it the same way ever since.

Yeah, my kids like to hang on there, which is cool. But they also do pushups and squats with me!

I used to do chinups with my daughter holding on to my waist for extra resistance. Once she got over 70 pounds though.... Having your kids around while you work out is fun, if they are old enough to know not to try to walk under a moving weight. I'll see if I can still do dips tonight, and maybe video. It has been a while since I've done them though.

Diesel_tke
2/23/2010 2:30pm,
Some good videos here! Fantastic beard there Diesel ;)

Thanks!

omoplatypus
3/05/2010 12:41am,
I've done these a few times in the gym, but my wife says I do it just to show off!!

YouTube- Weighted Dips +200 x 4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfQQOj71oxc)
you rock, but the music at your gym sucks.
now, i'm adding more dips to my workout. i thought i was cool doing 10 with a 45 lbs weight on my belt.

Yeah, that's a different movement. The bench dip. It's more a tricep isolation movement.
if i want to go for overall strength for judo/bjj, would this be a good exercise to put in my routine?

Emevas
3/05/2010 10:54am,
The bench dip? No. The parallel bar dip? Yeah.

However, the routine you're on would play more a roll in if that movement should be included or not. There are certainly instances where 1 movement is superior to another, but programming trumps all.

danno
3/06/2010 4:04am,
i just walked down to the park and did 26. not sure if i was using good form though.

next time i'll get my girl to bring a camera and i'll try to beat 30.

Emevas
3/06/2010 10:58am,
If you have a girl and a camera there are way better things you could be doing.