PDA

View Full Version : Beat my record: 29 bodyweight dips

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

jspeedy
2/20/2010 1:58pm,
Here's me busting out 25 couldn't quite get #26. If you watch closely you'll notice I smash my forehead into the controlls in rep 3~4.

Not going to try and improve on this, stronglifts is all I need for now. I think it(stronglifts) has improved my overall numbers, before all I could get is 15-18 but I usually did dips last in a bodyweight routine.

YouTube- jessedips (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmzjd5kJhRs)

Diesel_tke
2/20/2010 3:17pm,
Nice, Jesse! Those were some fine dips! Really good form! I like the skull in the background.

Emevas
2/20/2010 3:24pm,
Diesel, the ROM is as you said, but given your training conditions, I say you've earned a +rep.

Good effort Jspeedy. Are you doing the dips off treadmill handles, or is that something else?

jspeedy
2/20/2010 3:30pm,
Surprisingly this is the first time i've posted anything on youtube took me a few days to get it all straight.

Nice, Jesse! Those were some fine dips! Really good form! I like the skull in the background.

So I guess my form's not too bad huh? Well thats good news. Where's all the other vids? I figured someone would be waiting to blow Emevas out of the water with dips. Guess it's just me and Diesel for now.

The "Misfits" skull poster is all part of my carefully planned/purchased home-garage-gym decorum, in the other corner there's a bicycle hanging on the wall, and in the other corner a big red tool box. It all works together to project the image of badassness I train so hard for at jspeedy's home gym inc. Oh yeah I have some old nunch?ks hanging up too, never really use em' though.

Maybe next we should start a lifting thread showing off everyone's awesome form (or lack thereof).

Emevas
2/20/2010 3:33pm,
If ya'll want bad form, I can gladly post my deadlift videos, haha.

Yeah, I'm wanting more competitors so I can give out more rep. It's not letting me give disel any rep because I've repped him too recently.

jspeedy
2/20/2010 3:50pm,
Diesel, the ROM is as you said, but given your training conditions, I say you've earned a +rep.

Good effort Jspeedy. Are you doing the dips off treadmill handles, or is that something else?

Yeah those are treadmill handles. Matter of fact, that's all I use the treadmill for. It's one of those crappy fold up kind without a motor. The handles are about shoulder width apart, perfect for dips.

Emevas
2/20/2010 3:56pm,
Yup, I've done tredmill dips before when stranded. That's what makes dips awesome. You can do them almost everywhere.

Diesel_tke
2/20/2010 4:16pm,
If ya'll want bad form, I can gladly post my deadlift videos, haha.

Yeah, I'm wanting more competitors so I can give out more rep. It's not letting me give disel any rep because I've repped him too recently.

No rep needed, I was just stoked to get to post a video in the PT forums and help get the videos going!!

It's a good motivator too. I'll have something to work towards and maybe post another one later on. Maybe next time I'll get my kid to hang on my back or something!!!

Diesel_tke
2/20/2010 4:20pm,
Yup, I've done tredmill dips before when stranded. That's what makes dips awesome. You can do them almost everywhere.

I've been saying that for years. Matter of fact, here is a pic of me doing dips one time when I was at a friend's wedding. My wife was calling me a psycho and took a pic.

Emevas
2/20/2010 4:26pm,
I did dips off of a hanging leg raise station by gripping the inside of the hexagonal handle bars.

Oh ****, here was a great ghetto rig dip I figured out using 2 barbells in a powercage

YouTube- Squats w/chains + weighted parallel bar dips (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPa-U_lJFTw)

About 4 minutes in. You can watch my dog until then.

Lights Out
2/20/2010 4:48pm,
Well, far be it from to correct someone as you, diesle, but I've read it is advised that, in some cases, dips are better cut at parallel, if the one performing the dips feels strain on the shoulder or the inside part of the pec. Too deep dips may cause shoulder problems, or so I've been told. Bottom line is, your dips form is OK.

Also, it is heartwarming to see the education you're giving your kids, showing them the importance of physical exercise. I owe you well-deserved rep.

Neo Sigma
2/20/2010 6:38pm,
About how far apart should my "bars"(read: chairs) be? I tried to do some this morning, but it made my collarbone/shoulder area hurt, and I'm wondering if this is poor technique or just a bad setup.

No videos, sorry.

Diesel_tke
2/20/2010 6:47pm,
Well, far be it from to correct someone as you, diesle, but I've read it is advised that, in some cases, dips are better cut at parallel, if the one performing the dips feels strain on the shoulder or the inside part of the pec. Too deep dips may cause shoulder problems, or so I've been told. Bottom line is, your dips form is OK.

Also, it is heartwarming to see the education you're giving your kids, showing them the importance of physical exercise. I owe you well-deserved rep.

Thanks I really appreciate it! Yeah, I initially was having some pain in my shoulder. So I read that leaning forward more and not going down all the way would help. So I did that, and have been doing it the same way ever since.

Yeah, my kids like to hang on there, which is cool. But they also do pushups and squats with me!

Emevas
2/20/2010 7:08pm,
I actually find remaining upright to help more with my shoulders, as it focuses more on the tricep and less on pec/shoulder recruitment.

Neo: I like to go as close as possible.

Neo Sigma
2/20/2010 9:19pm,
I'll try that next time. In the meantime I've been using my pullup bar for pushups, since it's one of those multi-function ones. Way the hell harder than normal pushups and it really nailed my chest. So if the dips continue to not work out, at least there's that.

Emevas
2/21/2010 12:29pm,
Here's a new challenge, haha

YouTube- Safety Squat Bar box squats: 36 reps with rest pause (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPDBflCl3-I)