PDA

View Full Version : Beat my record: 29 bodyweight dips

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Res Judicata
2/17/2010 3:21pm,
Hmm, I'll give it a try. I haven't done much direct arm work in a while. Thanks.

Emevas
2/17/2010 3:22pm,
Yeah, a lack of elbow flexion work tends to result in tendonitis with a lot of lifters. Some hammer curls and band pushdowns work wonders.

dig7six
2/17/2010 6:08pm,
I just feel like an idiot for not having done dips for high reps sooner. Way better than bench.

Is that over all ?

Emevas
2/17/2010 6:44pm,
It would depend entirely on goals. For what I'm doing, it definitely is.

Res Judicata
2/17/2010 7:42pm,
Wendler's 5/3/1 ebook really turned me on to more dips and more pull/chin-ups. There's just something about pulling your body through space.

Emevas
2/17/2010 7:54pm,
There's that whole "open chain/close chain" thing, but I just like dips because they're less technical and have a further ROM.

Lights Out
2/18/2010 4:27pm,
Correction to myself: Emevas is big, but diesel is huge!

I'm jealous and inspired at equal parts.

Res Judicata
2/18/2010 4:55pm,
I've done these a few times in the gym, but my wife says I do it just to show off!!

YouTube- Weighted Dips +200 x 4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfQQOj71oxc)

Nice! And I envy your gym.

MMAMickey
2/18/2010 6:15pm,
well I only weigh like 160 so I'm hoping I'll be able to at least get near it, I haven't done dips for reps like ever though, normally do 5x5 with a dip belt (But I can only manage a measly 110 hanging from my waist unlike the beast that is diesel)

Emevas
2/18/2010 7:20pm,
That was my first time ever doing dips for reps. Maximal strength will transfer over.

MMAMickey
2/18/2010 7:41pm,
cool, if i manage to overcome the embarrassment of actually filming myself in a crowded gym I shall try it

Emevas
2/18/2010 8:56pm,
Here's a lesson I learned in my training that may help you.

**** other people.

Especially in commercial gyms.

Neo Sigma
2/19/2010 5:35pm,
Well, first of all, that's ridiculously impressive on both you and diesel's videos. Jesus.

Also, I haven't really got expendable cash for the gym right now(wedding planning, bleh), but I can rig up a dip setup with two of the dining room chairs and some weight to keep them from slipping. I've been doing a lot of pushups to try and build up my chest some more, since if we're being honest, it doesn't really exist. Should I stick with pushups, go for dips, or go for both?

Lights Out
2/19/2010 6:29pm,
Should I stick with pushups, go for dips, or go for both?

I beleive you only have to take a look at diesel or Emevas to see that dips are quite useful*

Dips are an excelent exercise for building mass and strenght in the upper body. Better than push ups for that purpose.

Altrough push ups are always good to have on your general training program, so, in my humble opinion, if you can manage to work both into your program, all the better.

*I know what you're gonna say and here's my preventive reply: that's not the point.

Diesel_tke
2/19/2010 10:33pm,
OK, here you go. I will be the first to comment that my form is not great. I don't go all the way down and I could go up a little more too. I did about 30 then my arms were so full of blood the felt like they were going to explode. I do think I should get props for my youngest son completely breaking my concentration in the middle, and my oldest posing for the camera throughout the whole thing.

So here you go:

YouTube- Dips (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFJE0l7JCyM)

Oh and here are my stats: age 31, Ht: 5'11", Wt: 244lbs.

danno
2/19/2010 11:36pm,
i didn't realise your avatar was actually a photo of yourself...