PDA

View Full Version : Beat my record: 29 bodyweight dips

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Ka-Bar
2/16/2010 10:39pm,
I feel like the push-ups are more beneficial for the purpose their used for in the program.

Can you explain your logic on this. I've never gotten a good explanation for the switch on the stronglifts website, except for the dips causing people shoulder pain/limited mobility.

Emevas
2/16/2010 10:49pm,
Well, I feel their placement in the program is the improve the work capacity of a new athlete, and as such with push-ups you can do more reps than with dips (I can do way more than 30 push-ups). As well, there are some studies that show push-ups to be good for shoulder health.

danno
2/17/2010 12:18am,
i can do roughly 15-18 before my arms explode and i faint and die in a coma. maybe i'll work on this and see what happens.

Kickapoo
2/17/2010 12:50am,
I can do fifteen on a good day, provided the moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars. 30 is not even a thought right now.

And Emevas, how old are you? Jesus, you look like you're 20. I figured such a fountain of wisdom would be older, all due respect.

Carpe Noctem
2/17/2010 1:19am,
****, I am a disgusting wad of cookie dough.

Oh yeah, congrats Emevas. That's a hell of a good effort.

Emevas
2/17/2010 8:15am,
I can do fifteen on a good day, provided the moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars. 30 is not even a thought right now.

And Emevas, how old are you? Jesus, you look like you're 20. I figured such a fountain of wisdom would be older, all due respect.

I'm 24. My wisdom is very concentrated, don't ask me about tax strategies, haha.

Well, maybe in a few months we'll get some competition. Don't get beat by a fatty like me.

bigstu31s
2/17/2010 9:50am,
http://www.gain-weight-muscle-fast.com/image-files/bardipsbottom.jpg

I’m at work so not able to view this video but are you talking about parallel bar dips like the above?
If so then my best is around 40.
We used to have a TV show here in the UK called Superstars and one of the events was “the Gym Test” which included Squat thrusts and Dips.
There was a Judoka called Brian Jacks back in the early 1980’s who used to be able to do 100 in a minute which is why when I was older I would try and do as many Dips as possible.
My 40 or so was usually done after doing Bench, Incline Bench and Flys so I could have done more fresh.

Emevas
2/17/2010 9:58am,
Yup, parallel bar dips. Get a video up dude, and +reps are yours.

bigstu31s
2/17/2010 10:05am,
Yup, parallel bar dips. Get a video up dude, and +reps are yours.

I'll be back:toothy9:

Kambei Shimada
2/17/2010 10:08am,
Nice, I can do around 30, maybe more. Will post video.

(just have to wait til the gym is quiet soo i can film myself)

Phrost
2/17/2010 10:16am,
Christ, I think the most I've ever done was 20.

*Adds more dips to routine*

AMF
2/17/2010 10:26am,
I personally do dips with my hands on a bench behind me and feet on a bench in front of me with x2 45lb plates stacked on my lap.

^Phrost, what the hell is your avatar?^

Kintanon
2/17/2010 11:23am,
In high school when I weighed 115 lbs I did ~70 in a row for our fitness test final exam thing. I'll run into Academy Sports with a camera and shanghai one of their dip stations and see what kind of numbers I can still hit.

Emevas
2/17/2010 12:12pm,
I personally do dips with my hands on a bench behind me and feet on a bench in front of me with x2 45lb plates stacked on my lap.

^Phrost, what the hell is your avatar?^

Yeah, that's a different movement. The bench dip. It's more a tricep isolation movement.

Res Judicata
2/17/2010 3:02pm,
High rep dips seem to give me elbow tendonitis. Any suggestions? (My elbows are fine, otherwise).

Emevas
2/17/2010 3:05pm,
Do you do any sort of pushdown work? Bands really help me.