PDA

View Full Version : Good digital cameras

tkdan28
2/11/2004 12:18pm,
I want to buy a good digital camera. Right now I have an Olympus 3 megapixel that takes good snapshots but I want something similar to an SLR that would be used for taking actions shots at competitions and the like. I'm looking to spend in the $750 neighborhood.

Any suggestions?

Nid
2/11/2004 3:12pm,
Can't help you on that, but...

Speaking of Olympii, does yours take two double-A batteries? If, do you use a compatible rechargable lithium battery pack? If so, what kind? If so, are you satisfied?

Kempocos
2/11/2004 3:56pm,
save alittle more and get the cannon rebel, there is no "almost like SLR " either is or it is not.

tkdan28
2/11/2004 4:36pm,
Originally posted by keinhaar
Can't help you on that, but...

Speaking of Olympii, does yours take two double-A batteries? If, do you use a compatible rechargable lithium battery pack? If so, what kind? If so, are you satisfied?

Mine takes 4 AA's... I've heard all of the hype regarding the battereis but I've always used non-rechargable lithiums. Four costs me $10. I got the camera August, 2001 for a trip. Since then I've taken about 2800 pictures and have changed the batteries three or four times. My model is the D-550, I think.

tkdan28
2/11/2004 4:38pm,
Originally posted by Kempocos
save alittle more and get the cannon rebel, there is no "almost like SLR " either is or it is not.

By 'similar to SLR' I meant with the typical SLR body and the ability to manually focus and such. Having a shutter speed of 1/1000 or faster would seem to be needed for good action shots. I'll look at the rebel. thanks!

Phoenix
2/11/2004 6:51pm,
The Sony DSC 3.2 or 5.0 megapixel is a pretty good buy. Actually, the 3.2 is on sale at most places I've seen.

I got one, and aside from a little problem that I had to get fixed (thanks to the warranty), it's served me well.

Mr. Mantis
2/11/2004 6:55pm,
Minolta Dimage 7i or above. go to pricewatch.com for the best prices.

bunyip
2/12/2004 5:14am,
pricewatch.com is a great way to check out the market price, but be sure to visit resellerratings.com before you buy from anywhere. Especially with camera equipment, a lot of the bottom dollar stores will bait-and-switch you, sell you grey market merchandise, or just straight rip you off.

For expensive camera equipment, pay the extra couple hundred bucks and buy from a reputable chain. Then pricematch it!

tkdan28
2/27/2004 7:20pm,
Originally posted by Mr_Mantis
Minolta Dimage 7i or above. go to pricewatch.com for the best prices.

Thanks for the tip... I ended up going with the Minolta Dimage A1. It looks pretty sweet. As far as were to buy, I went with Amazon. I've been using them for years with out a problem. I'd like to buy local but it just doesn't make any sense. My local camera store has the A! for around $900. I got it on Amazon for $698 and I won't have to deal with the tax issue until next year. I can't just see a >$250 value in buying locally.

The manager at the camera offered me free photo finishing to make the price difference... come on dude, one of the many reasons I'm going digital is not to have to deal with photo finishing.

tkdan28
2/27/2004 7:23pm,
Now... any one got any helpful hints on taking good MA Action shots?

Note: not taking TKD pictures is not an option ;)

Mr. Mantis
2/27/2004 8:02pm,
Originally posted by tkdan28
Thanks for the tip... I ended up going with the Minolta Dimage A1. It looks pretty sweet.

You chose..... Wisely tkdan28

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltadimagea1/Images/sideby-a1.gif

That sir is a beautiful camera for the price. Damn skippy!