PDA

View Full Version : Aikido as selfdefense

Pages : 1 [2]

Moenstah
1/10/2010 7:00am,
What I glanced from that book was that due to the harshness and gruelling experiences during that year, the author developed a toughness of mind (a part of the mentioned right wing 'yamato damashii'?) that could help him during a SD situation

Mtripp
1/10/2010 7:23am,
Hmmm... It appears that while I have been on an extended Bullshido sabbatical Mr. Tripp has come aboard. Even more interesting is that in this case I agree 95% with his post re: 'real self defense' even though back in the day (circa 1994-1996) we used to have heated & spirited debates on the old AOL martial art message boards that pre-dated this site. Ahhh, the good 'ol days before Bullshido!

Hmmm... must have been almost 10-15 years ago. But I am sure your "interest" can return to disagreeing with me 95% of the time if you work at it.

Had debates with lots of people then, still do. Some got it, some didn't; but I really spend no thought process at all on those I disagree with, especially 15 year old debates....

Rock Ape
1/10/2010 12:40pm,
Read everything I've ever stated about aikido and you'll have a fair perspective on what it is, and more importantly, what it isn't

Yoj
1/10/2010 12:46pm,
Aikido is very effective as a form of self defence, it takes a lot of mat time to master, and while you are on the mat, you aren't on the deadly streets.

Simples.

Rock Ape
1/10/2010 12:56pm,
Aikido is very effective as a form of self defence, it takes a lot of mat time to master, and while you are on the mat, you aren't on the deadly streets.

Simples.LMAO.. It also pretty much guarantees that by the time you reach 6th dan, you'll be a certified fat bastard ready for a heart attack at the first hint of having to break out in a sweat.

Red Elvis
1/10/2010 1:16pm,

Simples.

Ahem... read what Mark, Simio (as he calls himself now), and I have said and think about it. Actually... it probably won't make much difference so whatever. I just hope you don't ever need to use your aikido for any real self defense...

And just for the record, the Tokyo police aren't using physical Aikido techniques for self defense either nor is any other LEO worth their salt. Sure they may use some of the techniques (or similar techniques) in day to day operations but it's at a different point in the process under a different context and not at the point of self defense. I could go into detail but why bother... We probably have VERY different views of what self defense means.

Edit - Just for fun, please describe self defense to us and give us an example of how you would use your aikido. This could be fun!

Red Elvis
1/10/2010 1:22pm,
Hmmm... must have been almost 10-15 years ago. But I am sure your "interest" can return to disagreeing with me 95% of the time if you work at it.

Had debates with lots of people then, still do. Some got it, some didn't; but I really spend no thought process at all on those I disagree with, especially 15 year old debates....

I suppose we still will disagree on stuff and agree on others. Nobody agrees on anything 100% nor should they. Hell, if I agreed 100% with my wife... well, thats another story!

Anyway, I'm at a different point in my life and I'd be willing to bet you are too. I will say though that debating with you helped me improve my debating skills which has helped out here over the years. So to that I tip my hat to you.

BTW - I have a Judo/BJJ related question you can probably help me out with. I'll post it under a new thread as to not hijack this one any further and throw you a link.

Yoj
1/10/2010 1:27pm,
Ahem... read what Mark, Simio (as he calls himself now), and I have said and think about it. Actually... it probably won't make much difference so whatever. I just hope you don't ever need to use your aikido for any real self defense...

And just for the record, the Tokyo police aren't using physical Aikido techniques for self defense either nor is any other LEO worth their salt. Sure they may use some of the techniques (or similar techniques) in day to day operations but it's at a different point in the process under a different context and not at the point of self defense. I could go into detail but why bother... We probably have VERY different views of what self defense means.

Edit - Just for fun, please describe self defense to us and give us an example of how you would use your aikido. This could be fun!

1. I don't do Aikido.

B. I wasn't actually being serious at all.

iii. Did you actually read what I wrote? Simio obviously did, that's why he emitted some LOLLAGE.

Adam_F
1/10/2010 1:33pm,
:toothy9:

Simples.

I nearly peed myself when I read this! I don't think everyone gets the joke though.

Red Elvis
1/10/2010 2:07pm,
1. I don't do Aikido.

B. I wasn't actually being serious at all.

iii. Did you actually read what I wrote? Simio obviously did, that's why he emitted some LOLLAGE.

Damnit! My bad... I have been away from da internetz posting for about two years so my sarcasm and troll meter is broken...

I guess its a perishable skill, lmao!!! :eusa_wall

Rock Ape
1/16/2010 4:07am,
My name is Dave.... not Mark !!

Red Elvis
1/16/2010 8:13pm,
My name is Dave.... not Mark !!

Yes, but Mark's name is Mark. i.e. aka MTripp.

Reading comprehension my good man! That makes up for my troll blunder so we're even! :evil6: (And F U if you're trying to troll me now...)

By the way DAVE, you ever do that article on AR whatever the hell his name was? I see he is still alive and kicking over at Hock's site re-hashing the same crap year after year. :angry7:

Rock Ape
1/17/2010 3:29am,
And F U if you're trying to troll me now... LOL

By the way DAVE, you ever do that article on AR whatever the hell his name was? I see he is still alive and kicking over at Hock's site re-hashing the same crap year after year. :angry7:Nah **** him.. stupid prick.

Red Elvis
1/17/2010 11:54am,
Nah **** him.. stupid prick.

I agree

Yoj
1/17/2010 6:22pm,
Damnit! My bad... I have been away from da internetz posting for about two years so my sarcasm and troll meter is broken...

I guess its a perishable skill, lmao!!! :eusa_wall

Makes a change for it not to be me misreading stuff :D