PDA

View Full Version : Let me tell you why Judo sucks.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

King Sleepless
7/15/2009 12:18am,
As a fellow judoka I have had enough experience with the sport now to tell you its failings.

First let me say that I have a few reservations about posting this as being both a judoka and a sambo player with a very big background in striking, I have had the opportunity to see things from all different sides, which makes me better than 99 percent of you, since most of you practice a useless art half-heartedly in a shitty area or with shitty instruction. Note: this isn't bragging, this is truth.

First off, there's 0 striking. That's a given, and that's fine. This is just kind of a way to get things rolling here.

The biggest reason why Judo sucks, aside from the fact that the grappling techniques in 99% of the judo schools around the world are a combination between turtle, stalling, flat turtle, flailing, and curling up into a ball on your back, is that it is, now, a sport.

Between MMA and Judo, I've discovered that most of the major throws don't work without a gi. The ones that do work are pretty awesome, but you've got to be damned good at Judo to use them. I'm not going to get into that as that's a whole different thread all together. Really if you want to do judo and exclusively do judo to rank in it, then by all means go right ahead. But if you want to do judo to better your mma game go and learn how to do harai goshi, o goshi, kouchi/uchi gari, and osoto gari. That's pretty much all you'll need to be a better mma'ist. Since "MMA gyms" pretty much teach bad judo anyway with bad kickboxing, you'd do well to just go perfect a few of those throws.

You wanna pursue judo? great! Go right ahead, hell that's what I'm trying to do. But don't think that it'll make you a better fighter. You'll quickly find that hardly any of the throws you have learned will be helpful as an MMA superstar that you'll inevitably become what with your half-hearted training and all in your "MMA gyms."

Suck it easy, bitches.

With all my love,

Sirc

marcusdbrutus
7/15/2009 12:21am,
Haven't you only been doing Judo for a number of months?

And I'm sure MTripp would viciously disagree with the "turtle, stalling, flat turtle, flailing, and curling up into a ball on your back" generalization.

SoylentNinja
7/15/2009 12:26am,
Suck it easy, bitches.

With all my love,

Sirc

You going soft on us there Sirc??

Matt Phillips
7/15/2009 12:27am,
1) Stop complaining about Judo. That's my bag, and I do it much better than you do.
2) Get your sorry ass to Hayastan
3) Get your sorry ass to Rudi Ott's or Cung's and learn to throw with 16 oz gloves on
4) Take a long look in the mirror

TheMightyMcClaw
7/15/2009 12:33am,
1) What's your rank in judo again?
2) You forgot Uchimata on your list of MMA throws.

omoplatypus
7/15/2009 12:37am,
you've been training with matt morton, haven't you?

Rivington
7/15/2009 12:38am,
Ooh ooh, I got in some hot water with the dead kid stuff before, better distract everybody. Let's see, what do people like...Brock Lesnar? Nooo. Being polite enough not to chant "****** ****** ******"? Noooooo, kids hate being polite. Aha, judo! People think judo is cheap and widely available! I'll throw a little fit about judo. Woohoo, off the hook!

marcusdbrutus
7/15/2009 12:40am,
You forgot Uchimata on your list of MMA throws

Tani Otoshi and Morote Gari are pretty not bad as well. I've also found some success with Sukui Nage, but without the gi I've had to modify the kuzushi. Now instead of yanking back on the gi, I just smack them in the chest with the side of my head.

Cauliflour ear rocks.

Matt Phillips
7/15/2009 12:59am,
Ooh ooh, I got in some hot water with the dead kid stuff before, better distract everybody. Let's see, what do people like...Brock Lesnar? Nooo. Being polite enough not to chant "****** ****** ******"? Noooooo, kids hate being polite. Aha, judo! People think judo is cheap and widely available! I'll throw a little fit about judo. Woohoo, off the hook!
Too bad they don't allow entrance music at challenge matches, Sirc. I know you had this one cued up on your ipod

YouTube - Johnny Rebel-Who likes a ****** (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl1e6TmbOlM)

marcusdbrutus
7/15/2009 1:01am,
Can we please just focus on Judo and not how much of an ass Sirc is?

SoylentNinja
7/15/2009 1:01am,
Tani Otoshi and Morote Gari are pretty not bad as well. I've also found some success with Sukui Nage, but without the gi I've had to modify the kuzushi. Now instead of yanking back on the gi, I just smack them in the chest with the side of my head.

Cauliflour ear rocks.

Don't forget Seoi-nage!! That work very good as well.

hungryjoe
7/15/2009 1:02am,
Sirc;2168660]As a fellow judoka I have had enough experience with the sport now to tell you its failings.
First let me say that I have a few reservations about posting this as being both a judoka and a sambo player with a very big background in striking, I have had the opportunity to see things from all different sides, which makes me better than 99 percent of you, since most of you practice a useless art half-heartedly in a shitty area or with shitty instruction. Note: this isn't bragging, this is truth. Your big background in striking is for the most part TKD, correct? How many hours in MMA?

You're supposing that only 1% of judoka also have a background in striking?

The biggest reason why Judo sucks, aside from the fact that the grappling techniques in 99% of the judo schools around the world are a combination between turtle, stalling, flat turtle, flailing, and curling up into a ball on your back, is that it is, now, a sport.99% ???

Between MMA and Judo, I've discovered that most of the major throws don't work without a gi. The ones that do work are pretty awesome, but you've got to be damned good at Judo to use them. I'm not going to get into that as that's a whole different thread all together. Really if you want to do judo and exclusively do judo to rank in it, then by all means go right ahead. But if you want to do judo to better your mma game go and learn how to do harai goshi, o goshi, kouchi/uchi gari, and osoto gari. That's pretty much all you'll need to be a better mma'ist. Since "MMA gyms" pretty much teach bad judo anyway with bad kickboxing, you'd do well to just go perfect a few of those throwsYou have approximately how many hours in judo and sambo that qualify you to know good judo and in particular no-gi judo?

marcusdbrutus
7/15/2009 1:03am,
Don't forget Seoi-nage!! That work very good as well.

I am 6'1. Unless it's Morote, does not compute.

And since we're talking about no-gi, it obviously can't be Morote. Just to clarify.

SoylentNinja
7/15/2009 1:04am,
Yeah I guess so then. I am a short bastard so i love it...

marcusdbrutus
7/15/2009 1:55am,
First let me say that I have a few reservations about posting this as being both a judoka and a sambo player with a very big background in striking, I have had the opportunity to see things from all different sides, which makes me better than 99 percent of you, since most of you practice a useless art half-heartedly in a shitty area or with shitty instruction. Note: this isn't bragging, this is truth.

I wish I lived closer to you.

3moose1
7/15/2009 2:03am,
I'm curious as to how much experience, in what arts, gives sirc the ability to be an expert on the martial arts?

No, TKD doesn't count. Sorry.

rank in judo, please.

Competition record in Sambo, along with years trained, please.

Number of full contact kickboxing/muay thai/boxing/bare knuckle matches, please.

Number of MMA fights, with win/loss record, and in the case of loses, how you lost, and at what point in the fight.