View Full Version : Hungry Like The Wolf: Is Feeding Wolf Ammo Unhealthy For Your Firearm?

Wounded Ronin
1/19/2009 10:01pm,
So, a while ago, when I first bought my Ruger Mini 14 and had therefore just dropped a bunch of money, I'd also picked up a thousand rounds of Wolf 5.56 ammo because it was cheap. The gunsmith who owned the gun shop assured me that while Wolf could cause problems in an AR15 that the Mini 14 could "feed anything" and that the Wolf would be just fine.

However, today I took a tactical carbine course with a local instructor and he told me that the Wolf could damage the rifle over time because of the irregularities on the casing near where the bullet is inserted. For example, on one cartridge there was a little lump on the casing near where the bullet was inserted. On another, it was barely visible, but if you felt around the casing near the bullet you could feel that the casing at that point wasn't a perfect circle, but rather there was a very slight irregularity on the casing. It wasn't a lump, but rather the part of the casing holding the bullet not being absolutely symmetrical on all sides. The instructor said that while cartridges like this could chamber and fire that it might damage the chamber of the firearm, which is designed to accept precisely-fitting cartridges without these sorts of irregularities.

What do you guys think? How much of a potential threat to the health of your firearm are these barely perceptible irregularities on Wolf cartridges?

1/19/2009 10:24pm,
Brass or steel case?

If it's steel, for sure get rid of the bad ones.

If it's brass, you will likely see shavings where the chamber removes the high spots.

Accuracy will be crap with either as the case can't expand evenly in the chamber.

Hate to say it HR, but I'd go through and scrap the obvious bad rounds. Some Mini 14s have enough problems with accuracy as it is.

Out of curosity, do you have the 9 to 1 twist rate on your barrell?

Wounded Ronin
1/19/2009 11:16pm,
It's a steel case, so wilco on getting rid of the bad ones.

I actually emailed and called Ruger twice asking them what the twist on the barrel was and they never got back to me. However, according to a random guy on the internet and a random guy at a gun shop, it's 1 in 9 for the recently manufactured versions.

Kentucky Fried Chokin
1/19/2009 11:18pm,
I don't know if Wolf ammo is bad for your gun, but it will make your gun smell like rotten ass.

Wounded Ronin
1/19/2009 11:37pm,
I've found a post on another forum that could be relevant:

After shooting thousands of rounds of Steel cased Wolf ammo in my SKS and Ak47's and Steel cased ammo in my Dragunov I have come to the conclusion that there has been absolutely NO wear in the chambers of any of my guns due to the fact that barrel and chamber hardness is greater than the Softer steel used for cases. The cases will scratch and bend...The chambers do not!
I use precision Machinist Micrometers and have checked the chambers for wear to .0001 (thats 1/ten-thousandths of an inch) . Throat erosion after several thousand rounds has been Minimal as well so I am going to continue to shoot Wolf Ammo as well as Real Russian surplus Ammo . I will ask the Machine gun club members if they have any problem with the steel cased ammo when I get to the next shoot! They shoot Many more thousands of rounds in a weekend so they will know if anybody does about Problems!
More often the Bore/Rifling wears out!

And this one made me chuckle: http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/ammunition-reports/29032-wolf-ammo-any-good-6.html

I just saw this thread today...I love it.
All the phantom stories about Wolf Ammo...keeps prices down.
I use Wolf in my Stag Model 2. Works fine. Contacted Stag just after ordering my gun
to see what they said about Wolf ammo...they said their tests showed it to be acceptable ammo and it didn't void the warranty.
Maybe in a couple of more thousand rounds I will break the extractor by that time with the $130 I save for every 1k rounds I will just by a new gun.
After today I may not use Wolf...I bought 100 rds of Golden Bear 62gr and it shot like a champ. Damn Russian Steel Ammo...

no one ever confused a mini-30 of being more accurate than an AR-15.

Please interchange Golden Bear with Wolf in any horror stories, I would like to keep the price on that ammo down as well.

1/20/2009 12:08am,
I'm call possible bullshit on the guy claiming to have measured his chamber w/in .0001".

First, he does not indicate that he is using inside micrometers, that he knew w/in .0001" what his original chamber diameter was, and mentions that throat erosion is minimal. Measurements of this small a diameter are usually made with a go/no go precision ground pin (Deltronics for example) when measuring down to .0001". Micrometers are available to measure these small diameters, but they are expensive and the bore measurement would be with rifle and mic at the same ambient temperature as the mics original calibration temperature. I mention this as anyone can post anything on the net.

It is true, the steel is softer for the casings. Otherwise it would not readily expand to the chamber walls.

I've shot thousands of rounds of crappy, boxer primed, steel cased surplus ammo out of my SKS sporter. I bought it to plink cheaply. It's by far the most inaccurate gun I've owned. I could care less when it's old and worn out if it's served it's purpose. Still, I'd not be feeding it rounds that have metal beads/balls or whatnot at the neck or the case.

I wouldn't shoot the particularly bad rounds you describe.

1/20/2009 1:04am,
I sure hope that the Wolf ammo and Golden Bear ammo for that matter are not tearing up my guns. They are what I usually have bought. I have put a few thousand Wolf 762x39 fmj and hp through my AK with no problems so far, some hundreds of Golden Bear hp380 too.

I don't know how ridiculous this would be, but you might try talking to the guys that run TheBoxOfTruth.com (http://www.theboxotruth.com/) if they would test out some stuff. They have done a whole lot of other great tests along these lines and maybe they would be receptive.

Check out http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu6.htm

edit: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm

Shooting Wolf steel-cased Ammo in an AR15 http://www.theboxotruth.com/images/blank.gif Today's Question: Does shooting Wolf ammo in an AR result in the "Lacquer" or "Poly" being deposited in the chamber, resulting in stuck cases?

My buddy Tman and I do a lot of shooting. I had previously shot a lot of Wolf 5.56 ammo (steel cased) through my Model One uppers and had no problems whatsoever. But one day, I followed-up a session with a few rounds of South African ball. The first round stuck in the chamber and the rim was pulled off by the extractor.

Some time later, I tried the same thing again, and had the exact same results. I attributed it to the old "lacquered" Wolf and decided to just wait till I needed some more ammo to try the new Polymer stuff.
...continued in link above...

vaquero de las nalgas
1/20/2009 1:44am,
I was told by an employee at a local sporting goods shop that he broke the extractor on his Mini-14 with Wolf Ammo. I decided to play it on the safe side and only use this .223 ammo in my bolt gun. Otherwise I have not seen any factual evidence of this.

My Beretta 96, on the other hand, has had lots of Wolf .40 rounds put through it. They do stink, and they throw a lot of smoke and little particles of burning powder out the muzzle. Which is entertaining to say the least.

1/22/2009 2:22pm,
Wolf ammo shouldn't hurt your firearm.

Even though it's steel-cased, the steel used in the casings is a mild alloy, and not known for its hardness.

It works, although it's rather dirty-burning, and leaves that hydrogen sulfide smell (fart gas).

If you're shooting a weapon that was built with looser tolerances in mind (Ruger Mini, AK-47, AKM, etc), then I highly doubt that the ammo will be the limiting factor in your ability to hit your target.

Some folks have made a bit of a stink over the lacquer that the older style Wolf ammo used, and I would actually agree, that I wouldn't use it in a tighter tolerance weapon, but today's Wolf ammo uses a polymer layer in lieu of the awful lacquer.

2/01/2009 11:19pm,
I've fed several thousand rounds of Wolf 9mm to my SIG, and although I am not an armorer, I cannot see any damage or undue wear.

2/02/2009 11:15pm,
I have purposely gone out of my way to avoid Wolf ammo altogether. I've done so successfully and never used it. I don't use it specifically because I have heard nothing but BAD reviews for their products. A couple of friends of mine here in AZ have had jamming problems with this ammo, and some firearm forum goers have even posted that Wolf ammo blew up in their gun, causing damage that took hundreds to repair. I'd stick to the stuff I know works, like Federal, American Eagle, etc...

2/03/2009 9:55am,
Yeah, I have a Kalashnikov... so its kind of near indestructible I guess. I've never had the problems people talk about so I never worried much about it.