PDA

View Full Version : build your own shock knife?

Pages : [1] 2 3

jspeedy
1/07/2009 6:45pm,
For those who don't know a shock knife is a simulated knife w/ a current running along the cutting edge of the knife, they are commercially available for around $200. A shock knife seems like the closest way to simulate a real knife. Not only does it make it obvious when someone is "cut." The fear of being shocked seems like it would emulate the fear of being cut in a real situation. I know many people use wood or other fake knive w/ paint/chalk/lipstick on the cutting edge but this weapon itself doesn't give any fear of being "cut".
Like most small electronics the circuit should be relatively simple and easy to make yourself. Has anyone else tried to make their own? I've seen a homemade one on youtube but the video didn't show how it was made.

ChristopherHein
1/07/2009 7:40pm,
I made one. It was weak though. It wouldn't shock through cloths for anything.

I bought a stun gun, and took it apart. Took out the guts, some kind of electronic box of magic. Disconected the electrodes.

Got a peice of pvc, and stuck it in the oven till it got soft. Smashed one end near flat. Let it cool.

Sawed down one side of the pvc, the "blade" side. Took two peices of 14ga copper wire, and pounded them flat. Super gluded them to each side of the cut I made in the pvc.

Soderd the electrode wires from the stungun to the copper peices. Drilled a hole in the "handle" of the pvc "knife" and ran the stunguns on off switch through it.

Shoved the guts inside of the "handle", along with a 9 volt battery. Duct taped it shut, and there you have it. Cost me like 20 bucks...It's worth about 15.

I haven't experienced the real shock knife, but I've heard from a dog brother friend of mine, who comteted with one that they are not very powerful. But that's all heresay.

Sealknife
1/07/2009 8:43pm,
You could just use a marker?

Echo Unit
1/07/2009 11:00pm,
Step 1: Get some of those fat sidewalk chalk sticks.
Step 2: Spend the $195 you saved on something useful.

jspeedy
1/07/2009 11:11pm,
I've thought about doing the same thing as- ChristopherHein and taking apart a stungun. But Doesn't a stungun have two contact separate prongs as contact pionts that pass current throught the "attacker "? How Does this work w/ your homemade knife design? I've also heard about using devices similiar to an electric fence that are capable of making a surface "hot" that shocks when touched.

To respond to Sealknife no you couldn't just use a marker. As a marker would only simulate a stab from a knife, very poorly and the tip would be squished after one strike, this also leaves out cuts. The main advantage of a shock knife as I see it is the fear of pain from getting "cut". This also seemingly would improve technique causing the knife wielder/defender to be aware of any light contact that may occur unknowingly w/ the blade of a mock knife.

jspeedy
1/07/2009 11:15pm,
yeah chalk and a mock blade are probably the most economical way to go. But if you can build your own shock knife for cheap it may have more of a training benefit.

Sealknife
1/07/2009 11:35pm,
Maybe....

TheRuss
1/08/2009 12:36am,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/alloway/2371427FrankGrimes.gif

Countdown to serious injury in 5... 4... 3...

Frank White
1/08/2009 2:16am,
Why wouldn't you just use a stun gun without turning it into fake knife? I've used a cheap one, they don't hurt much. I think using a permanent marker and wearing a really expensive suit would be more realistic.

NJM
1/08/2009 2:27am,
WARNING: JOKE

Can't you build a quick shock knife by immersing one of those electric cooking knives in water?

sochin101
1/08/2009 2:43am,
Countdown to serious injury in 5... 4... 3... Electrocuting Aikidoka isn't serious. It's hilarious injury.

I made one. It was weak though. It wouldn't shock through cloths for anything. Was the PVC acting as an insulator?

Also, Chris, did you play the 'A' Team theme while you were making the knife? That is an essential component of every garage-build, ever.

ChristopherHein
1/08/2009 12:23pm,
Electrocuting Aikidoka isn't serious. It's hilarious injury.

My students groan everytime they see something new in the dojo. They know it's there to cause them some form of pain, haha.

Was the PVC acting as an insulator?

Also, Chris, did you play the 'A' Team theme while you were making the knife? That is an essential component of every garage-build, ever.

The copper halves are right next to each other, with only a small gap of air between them. The spark arcs nicely. I don't think there is a problem with connection. I think there is just not enough power in the sucker.

The stungus electrodes are sharp. My guess is that they are designed this way so they'll poke throught the cloths in order to make good contact, not so with my crappy shock knife.

And yes, there are few things I build when I don't hum, dun ta dun; dun, dun dun dun. In 1964 a crack commando team....

smillard
1/08/2009 1:07pm,
yeah chalk and a mock blade are probably the most economical way to go. But if you can build your own shock knife for cheap it may have more of a training benefit.

What additional training benefit are you talking about. As someone that has been subjected to shock knives, even a shock collar (don't ask, was drunk), marker/lipstick covered felt knives, plain old rubber knives and the weighted PVC covered with neoprene (ARMA homemade knives) I never had a "I never knew I got hit" feeling with any of them. The marker/lipstick to me was the most beneficial because you could do an after action review.

jspeedy
1/08/2009 8:22pm,
quote:smillard
"What additional training benefit are you talking about. As someone that has been subjected to shock knives, even a shock collar (don't ask, was drunk), marker/lipstick covered felt knives, plain old rubber knives and the weighted PVC covered with neoprene (ARMA homemade knives) I never had a "I never knew I got hit" feeling with any of them. The marker/lipstick to me was the most beneficial because you could do an after action review."

FOr the last time, the benefit i'm talking about is the fear of being shocked- which simulates the stress and fear of a real situation (which may not be all that accurate i'm just thinking here w/ my crackpot theories). As for "I never knew I got hit" i'm talking aboiut accidental contact while disarming the blade that could be considered a cut if the knife were real, or any unintentional contact w/ the blade. But I think i've gotten a pretty good answer from everyone on the subject, lippstick or chalk w/ a fake knive seems sufficient. I just thought maybe some mcguyver out there already came up w/ something to sub. for a $200 shock knife.

ChristopherHein
1/08/2009 8:44pm,
I think using a permanent marker and wearing a really expensive suit would be more realistic.

That would put the fear in you for sure.

jspeedy
1/08/2009 8:57pm,
Damn! anyone know how to make a really expensive suit for cheap. (LOL)!