PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Kali Silat

Northstorm
5/20/2008 9:50pm,
Lacosta Kali/Kuntao blend. Heavy on two man drills, Siniwali, sumbrato, Heaven, knife, sword & dagger, trapping, hubud, foot trapping, locks and submissions, polisuts, switches, disarms, limb destructions, nasty take downs. And that's just the first lesson! Welcome to Progressive Kali Silat!

This dojo is located in a barn, and it is a great training facility. Everything here is made by hand (spring loaded wing chun dummies of various types, jointed posts for stick work, spinning sticks, even the training knives are made here). Mike tabor always spends two hours per session personaly working with each student. Since the focus is limb destructions, a true full contact sparring session is not possible. To add protective gear, is to "dumb down" the style, relying on simple beatings and ignoring the adhesion and trapping side. We train to take our opponent down hard and quick. No BS.

Official Site is http://www.progressivekalisilat.com

Also check out http://www.kali-silat.com

metodi
5/22/2008 4:26pm,
This is very nice I like that martial art and i think there should be no 1 saying that it is BS just because "It's not effective in the ring". That is something that you train if you want to kill.

pencaksilatsam9
8/11/2008 6:24pm,
hell yeah! its always about BJJ, well that BS will get U killed on the streets in a real fight! thats why im learning Mustika Kweetang Pencak Silat from my dad!

theotherserge
8/11/2008 6:35pm,
This is one of the better reviews of a mid-tier school. Thanks to the OP for not embellishing the scores!

I still think that alive training is really necessary, its easy to make the adjustments. Don't undervalue protective gear for occasional work IMO.

pumpingiron2k
9/22/2008 1:15pm,
This is very nice I like that martial art and i think there should be no 1 saying that it is BS just because "It's not effective in the ring". That is something that you train if you want to kill.

Actually many of the moves in Kali can be used in the ring. They are actually geared more towards real street defense than anything.

pumpingiron2k
9/22/2008 1:17pm,
hell yeah! its always about BJJ, well that BS will get U killed on the streets in a real fight! thats why im learning Mustika Kweetang Pencak Silat from my dad!

I practiced JKD and BJJ and I agree with you that BJJ is not as effective against an armed opponent. Silat is a much more hardcore martial arts when dealing with weapons.

Robdogg
1/18/2009 11:22pm,
I can't fathom why BJJ would be an effective martial art against an armed opponent; it has nothing to do with weapons.

EDIT: sorry about the thread necro; I didn't notice this thread ended in september.