PDA

View Full Version : resting

Zaron Yeras
11/11/2003 5:03pm,
I'm relatively new to martial arts, so I have a question about training. Is it better to alternatingly train intensely and lightly, in order to give your body a rest, or is it better to train with full exertion every day? If I were to do weight training one day, should I do it the next day as well? Thanks in advance for your reply.

PizDoff
11/11/2003 5:10pm,
Hell fucking no. You are most likely one of us normal people who do not have extreme physical recovery properties (unless you take steroids.)

You will find the weight training at your peak everyday will lower your peak.
You body needs proper nutrients and rest to regrow the muscles after working out.

Post your workout schedule.

Ideally I train upper body one day, then rest a whole day, then do lower body the day after that.
Then another whole day of rest.
The idea is to concentrate the body's growth to maximize it, so the flow of nutrients doesn't have too much competition.

Nid
11/11/2003 5:55pm,
He's right. Not a single beneficial change takes place WHILE you're working out. Prematurely stressing your body again is not only going to cut you short of gains, but also of, possibly, just breaking even.

Zaron Yeras
11/11/2003 6:13pm,
ok, but would you consider full contact grappling to be a full exertion workout? Like if you did a significant amount of full contact grappling one day, but no weight training, coudl you do weight training the next day and be okay?

Nid
11/11/2003 6:24pm,
Depends. :D

PizDoff
11/11/2003 7:38pm,
full contact grappling? is there penetration?

it depends how sore your muscles are the next day
and that depends on the nutrients you intake and your personal growth/recovery rates

when I'm sore after grappling I don't work those body parts...

9chambers
11/11/2003 11:48pm,
What do you guys think about seasons? I mean, I usually train harder in the summer and easier in the winter. Kind of like pro athletes have an off season period where they rebuild.

SmackDown
11/12/2003 12:12am,
If I were you I'd think about doing a sport specific type of weight training to help out whatever other training that your doing. Make sure that you put whatever is more importnt comes first eg. train for grappeling first then hit the gym for size. Technique first max effort second. As for the resting question try taking off different amounts of time and see what works best for you.

Chudo
11/14/2003 10:58am,
Rule of thumb: don't train the parts that are sore. If your never sore train harder not longer.

Nid
11/14/2003 11:29am,
I wouldn't put too much stock in soreness if one is sticking consistently to a given routine. It seems to have more to do with unfamiliarity of a momvement, than it does with strict intensity. I've been doing sumo dead lifts for a while now til concentric failure, but if I were to simply switch exercises (say, to the hack squat) I gaurantee I'd feel sore after even 50% intensity...but then it'd subside with successive workouts.

Ronin
11/14/2003 11:39am,
Soreness is a touchy issue, some people feel sore after every workout, others NEVER do and both progress.
Working out has an OVERALL effect on your entire system, alternating parts may work in the short run, but it will catch up to you, specially if you do workout intensily and to failure.
If you workout on an irregular basis and with high intensity you will find your self being more sore than if you stick to a "schedule", indeed, many people now advocate that type of training, which never allows the body to "prepare" itself for a workout, thus forcing adaption, or so the theory goes.

Nid
11/14/2003 11:42am,
Ah yes..."strategic deconditioning" I believe.

Chudo
11/14/2003 11:42am,
I place quite a bit of stock in soreness. If I am not a at least a little sore the next day then the exercises I did were either ineffective or I didn't apply enough intensity during the exercise. Doing the same exercises over and over will eliminate soreness as well. It will also eliminate your gains in both strength and size (unless your a genetic freak of course).

Soreness is an indication of miniscule tears in your muscles. This tearing is a direct result of muscle adaptation. The reason you are sore is because your body is adapting to the new load or stimulus. it is this adaptaion and therefore soreness (along with propper nutrition) that causes gains in strength and size.

Avoid muscle adaptation. Confuse your muscles. Soreness is your friend.

Ronin
11/14/2003 11:50am,
I agree, I love the feeling of my legs being so sore they ach for 3 days, after a serious squat workout :)
One of the reasons I leave my Strength training till Fridays...

Shuma-Gorath
11/14/2003 12:00pm,
I'm skipping my leg workout today because I manged to throw someone twice my weight in Judo yesterday and I felt it walking to to class this morning. I figure I got my ballistic workout in already.

Nid
11/14/2003 2:44pm,
The reason you are sore is because your body is adapting to the new load or stimulus.

Yes. But which stimulus? It's certainly not directly and neccesarily related to making muscular inroads, otherwise everyone (who works out with the same intensity) should be sore after their workouts. I, for one, am not. That goes for others too. Not unless the exercises haven't been done in a while, or perhaps not in the same way. Some do feel sore on a regular basis, apparently. I can't speak for you, nor can you for me. But if soreness indicates progress then I must not be making progress. But I am, and I don't feel soreness. This is a sticky subject as has been noted.

Doing the same exercises over and over will eliminate soreness as well.

Correct. But that doesn't neccesarily negate progress therein.

Avoid muscle adaptation.

No. That's precisely what I want them to do.