PDA

View Full Version : ringworm

Pages : [1] 2

kracker
7/08/2007 8:51pm,
How long after a ringworm stops being visible do I:
a)still need to cover the area up while rolling,
b)swim in a pool without infecting anyone and
c) stop applying ketoderm and corticosteroid to the area.

Any response is appreciated thnx.

LI GUY 1
7/09/2007 2:46am,
No idea, but I know the quickest way to get rid of it is bleach, hurts but works right away. Probably give it like 2-3 days and if no itching/blotchiness occurs you should be set.

ojgsxr6
7/09/2007 2:52am,

I waited a week after I couldn't see it.
You should not be rolling while you have it.
You should tell a coach or what ever at your school that you have ringworm.

pauli
7/09/2007 2:41pm,
well, kracker, what did your doctor tell you?

FictionPimp
7/09/2007 3:33pm,
Oddly enough I have cured ring worm with minced fresh garlic on a bandage for 3 days.

But standard athletes foot meds at the store did a great job without the funky smell.

Donkey_Fizzle
7/09/2007 4:32pm,
You are safe to go into a public pool. Most municipal or common swimming pools are so chlorinated ringworm can't survive. In fact the chlorine is the very thing that makes bleach such an effective but retarded cure. 7-14 days is a base time line to consider from the day of a prescribed treatment regiment. And another 7-10 days after the last visible signs. Prescribed, as in, by a health professional and not just OTC cures. Ringworm can be a tough little bug to deal with. It is not only extremely contagious but the legions are avenues for infection for more serious infections such as Staph, Herpes and Hepatitis.

GodEater
7/09/2007 4:37pm,
Oddly enough I have cured ring worm with minced fresh garlic on a bandage for 3 days.

But standard athletes foot meds at the store did a great job without the funky smell.

Not too surprising. after you've cut or bruised garlic, allicin is released. Studies have actually shown that cut garlic can burn skin when a sizable amount is held against the skin for some time (can't remember the amount of time that passed).

GE

Xanen
7/09/2007 4:44pm,

Just fyi, the corticosteroid is only to relieve itching/burning/whatnot and does nothing to cure ringworm. According to my dermatologist, it can often make fungal infections worse. So, stop using that ASAP.

kracker
7/09/2007 5:24pm,
Just fyi, the corticosteroid is only to relieve itching/burning/whatnot and does nothing to cure ringworm. According to my dermatologist, it can often make fungal infections worse. So, stop using that ASAP.

WTF?! LOL my doctor's a fucking moron. Alright thnx for the advice.

LI GUY 1
7/09/2007 11:01pm,
Why is bleach retarded? A little scarring sucks but what else is wrong? Now if the ringworm is spreading, in the blood, or huge/all over, of course I would just go on meds butr if you cath that first patch and it is on a no-sensitive area, just bleach it off.

GoldenJonas
7/09/2007 11:05pm,

By "stop being visible" I assume you mean that the red ring around the area is gone and all that remains is the slight skin discoloration which you will never get rid of.

Ringworm WILL survive under the skin for anywhere from 7 to 14 days (according to my doctor) even after it stops itching and the ring is gone. So, keep applying the antifungal for at least another week.

a. I would cover the area;
b. Your probably fine in a pool at this point due to the chlorine;
c. keep applying the treatment for another 7 to 14 days;

I don't know anything about the corticosteriod so I would question your doc about it. Being a steriod I would tend to agree with Xanen in that it is just helping the itching and swelling and is probably having no affect on the fungas itself.

I have a thread on here somewhere which documents my treatment of a big bout of ringworm I went through and the various treatments I put myself through a few months ago. Bleach sucks, and did nothing to help my infection; although my infection was about 2" in diameter in two places on my abs and I was told that bleach is good for smaller infections only.

GIJoe6186
7/10/2007 1:45am,
Bleach is retarded because it leaves a scar when there are other treatments that leave no scar. If you don't mind the scar, thats fine then. But theres no need to do it just because its quicker. Meds work fine.

Oh, stay off the mat even if you cover it up. The area still sweats and it can get out and on to other people. Just stick to stand-up work on a heavy bag while it gets better.

LI GUY 1
7/10/2007 2:05am,
My scars went away, and I only used it on forearms or stomach on little patches.

FictionPimp
7/10/2007 7:22am,
Not too surprising. after you've cut or bruised garlic, allicin is released. Studies have actually shown that cut garlic can burn skin when a sizable amount is held against the skin for some time (can't remember the amount of time that passed).

GE

My uncle is a crazy hippy, he gives me all sorts of home remdys, they usually work though, but the smell is usually much nastier then just going with over the counter solutions.

Donkey_Fizzle
7/15/2007 11:18am,
Why is bleach retarded?
Cuz it's like using the jaws of life to remove a fuckin splinter from your finger. It's overkill for one, does more harm then good in the long run and is just stupid. I wrote up guys in the service for doing dumb **** like this.

Cassius
7/15/2007 12:38pm,
My scars went away, and I only used it on forearms or stomach on little patches.Christ man, how often do you get ringworm?