PDA

View Full Version : sidekick

Pages : [1] 2

switch245
5/04/2007 8:29pm,
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

kwoww
5/04/2007 8:42pm,
Stepping too far will make it too obvious and you'll get smacked. Not stepping enough will accomplish nothing. So it is kind of tricky. From a purely TKD perspective, stepping *behind* your lead leg works better, because then your hip is already sideways for the kick, and your opponent might not notice. Of course, I generally only use sidekicks as a defensive technique, and even then only against someone who is blatantly running in. It also works well against a tired opponent, because their guard will be down and their reaction time might be slowed. The main problem with the sidekick is the fact that, once your hip is so far over, it's hard to get it back quickly.

On the other hand, a sidekick in Seven Star Praying Mantis could be entirely different from the TKD sidekick I'm talking about, in which case I'm dumb. But we all knew that anyway.

switch245
5/04/2007 9:05pm,
wwwwwwww

Permalost
5/04/2007 11:32pm,
The spinning hook kick is a low percentage kick with KTFO power. They can also get jammed easily. Sometimes, I will throw one to the head (that is usually blocked), then throw it again but swing it from up high at a downward angle to chop the heel into the thigh. I've never done one at full power to someone, but even when thrown lightly can cause dead legs.
The side kick stepping behind the leg is a very telegraphed kick, and can also hit really hard. To me, this doesn't mean its bad, but that it needs to be set up. Having said that, I have not found a good way to set it up.

jtkarate
5/05/2007 12:21am,
i find when doing a normal sidekick, the opponent usually moves back too fast for me to connect. So now, i do a sort of leaping sidekick where i move forward.

R foot back: I step forward with my right foot without turning the diretion of my body and i use the motion to launch a side kick with my left foot. The kick is landed at about the same time my stepping foot lands.

The question is, how far do i step with that foot? Do i make it just reach my left lead foot, or do i step actually ahead of my body for extra distance

All depends on how far your trying to travel...if you are just out of range then a good shuffle should do the trick. But if you need to close alot of distance then stepping is better but much slower.

As long as your not coming off the floor at some crazy height then i dont see that what your doing now is all wrong.

Efro
5/05/2007 1:44am,
I don't step win I throw my sidekicks. I prefer to do a short slide, which I've gotten used to from my point-fighting background. The slide doesn't telegraph like stepping does.

sochin101
5/05/2007 7:32am,
I don't step win I throw my sidekicks. I prefer to do a short slide, which I've gotten used to from my point-fighting background. The slide doesn't telegraph like stepping does.
Agree... but utilise both, because most people think side on stance+step over=side kick. You can use the step over as a fake, or to make room for something else. And I don't mean a downstairs cloakroom.

kwoww
5/05/2007 7:39am,
That works as well, but with this kick a lot of times there is a tradeoff between power and speed.

Efro
5/05/2007 9:39am,
That works as well, but with this kick a lot of times there is a tradeoff between power and speed.

really? I've never noticed a difference in power between stepping and sliding cuz either way I can still stop bigger people in their tracks.

Permalost
5/05/2007 11:09am,
I tend to throw side kicks thusly: against a kick to the body, I slap my lead hand outward as a parry as I step my lead leg close to me, then as they move forward I kick them in the guts.

switch245
5/05/2007 2:50pm,
thanks, this helped a lot. i think ill just vary from what situation im in. So now im mostly wondering about that hook kick/reverse round house stuff

phoenixmee
5/05/2007 7:39pm,
Side is great defensively but I (like most here) have trouble getting it to work offensively without being obvious. The slide comment is pretty good because there is no "cocking of the gun" so to speak, the leg just pops up and kicks.

The hook and round house are my bread and butter. Using slide with either of these, flicking the kick out quick is a great scoring move for both offense and defense. Offense by varying your target and using a small fake to move the guard and defensively by hitting on the way in to the head. Been hit by and hit with both of these.

Permalost
5/06/2007 12:03pm,
thanks, this helped a lot. i think ill just vary from what situation im in. So now im mostly wondering about that hook kick/reverse round house stuff
Maybe try to find some old Bill Wallace videos. Overall, I'm not a fan of hook kicks outside of very limited rule sets.

phoenixmee
5/06/2007 2:55pm,
Maybe try to find some old Bill Wallace videos. Overall, I'm not a fan of hook kicks outside of very limited rule sets.

That is a great suggestion. His drills can be pretty grueling

:ohyea7qh:

kwoww
5/06/2007 3:32pm,
I've always had trouble implementing hook kicks, because head kicks are low-percentage and hook kicks are silly for anything else, and because they're really really really obvious. The only time I could see using one is as a fake roundhouse, but this is still hard to pull off because front-leg hooks aren't very powerful. A hopping motion similar to the one with the sidekick could be a possible compromise, but for a n00b like me it's strictly demo stuff.

Spinning hooks, however, as has been said, have serious KO power.

new2bjj
5/06/2007 3:57pm,
I've always had trouble implementing hook kicks, because head kicks are low-percentage and hook kicks are silly for anything else, and because they're really really really obvious. The only time I could see using one is as a fake roundhouse, but this is still hard to pull off because front-leg hooks aren't very powerful. A hopping motion similar to the one with the sidekick could be a possible compromise, but for a n00b like me it's strictly demo stuff.

Spinning hooks, however, as has been said, have serious KO power.
Outside of TKD, I haven't really seen anyone get KTFO with a spin hook kick. I've been hit full out, with a spin hook kick, and while it hurt, I was still standing. I like spin hook kicks- they're pretty. I just haven't seen anyone in sports that train for K.O.'s- K1, Pride, Muay Thai, etc, KTFO with that technique. Now, in Karate tournaments- sure, I've seen people dropped t everything- no one is ready or trained to take a serious shot.