PDA

View Full Version : Daito-ryu vs. Hakko Ryu

mantis42
3/28/2007 5:44pm,
Given the choice which style Ju Jutsu would you rather learn?

dern
3/28/2007 9:50pm,
Well, there are only so many ways to lock someone's arms, legs, and head, so I think you would cover them all in whatever style you practice unless that art prohibits training those locks because of philosophy. But in terms of the training, I would do Daito-Ryu definitly. They generally train pretty hardcore.

WorldWarCheese
3/30/2007 8:26am,
Oh boy! Something I can do! I have a Shodan in Hakkoryu Jujutsu from Kaiden Shihan Larry Garron (he's the head of the NE Honbu) and lemme tell you it's crap. Basically Aikido without the playing with wooden sticks. I mean, we share names for tech's, styles (hakamas) and other such oddities found in that art. I really don't recommend it at all.

Can't say much fot Daito, but I hear it's pretty much the same as Aikido itself with a little more activity and such. If you want an honest opinion: Do Judo you'll be better for it.

shmuel
3/30/2007 4:35pm,
Here is a demo of Daito Ryu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M579s8Gni0

These clips aare performed by Kondo and Tokimune Takeda and are as legit as you will find

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PmhwHst4po&mode=related&search=

shmuel
3/30/2007 4:41pm,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PmhwHst4po

mantis42
3/30/2007 6:44pm,
hmm so do you guys think i should bother with either or save my money, around where i live its mostly wing chun, karate, or ju jutsu

WorldWarCheese
3/31/2007 12:30pm,
Well, at least karate or something will give you a workout (well.... umm.... maybe) what I recommend is a local boxing gym or wrestling at the college/high school. Boxing Gyms (from what I've seen in NE) don't advertise as much as other places so there might be one right under your nose and wrestling's at basically any HS worth it's snuff and depending your age you could get it on that.

Also, what type of karate? Some are VERY decent (check my style box) Kyokushin, Enshin, any ofshoot of those are generally tough as nails and as good as most kickboxing gyms IMHO. But if it's some **** Goju McDojo, **** it.

glad2bhere
3/31/2007 2:36pm,
Given the choice which style Ju Jutsu would you rather learn?

When given a choice like this I always tend to select the one thats closer to the point of origin. There is something in my personality, I guess, that reacts when I hear that I am learning something where someone else has "trimmed away whats not all that important". The way I see it if there is any "trimming" to be done, I'll do it for myself. In the meantime I want to be exposed to all the same info that everyone else has. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

coytheboy
3/31/2007 4:20pm,
Daito-ryu. My understanding of japanese martial arts took off once I started to study Daito-ryu. Not that by itself it is a good all a round art. But it is a great place to start. Along the side take judo and or boxing, muitai.

ojgsxr6
3/31/2007 4:28pm,
If it was available I'd do Danzen Ryu.

coytheboy
3/31/2007 8:22pm,
What other jujutsu schools are around you?

mantis42
3/31/2007 9:21pm,
unfortunately there is only one ju jutsu school around and it teaches only the two styles, im not sure whether the same instructor teaches the 2 styles but i think he does

WorldWarCheese
4/01/2007 1:37am,
There HAS to be more, look harder my son/daughter/bug you WILL find all you need. (Really, I DON'T recommend either, ESPECIALLY if it's taught by the same person)

Gramalkin
4/27/2007 1:13pm,
I would have to say the question you should answer is not which art to choose but why you want to learn a Martial art. Once you answer that question it will help you.